Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2015, 01:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
Coleman digital thermostat upgrade

i recently tried to install a digital thermostat in my new RV. I had done this on my prior RV with success. I have not been able to hook up thermostat. I don't know proper wiring any more. I should have written them down. Does anyone know how Thor connects its thermostats for digital. Thanks Ozzie

Old 08-15-2015, 04:27 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Convert Analog to Digital Thermostat

My second attempt at posting.......I converted my 2013 ACE 30.1 coach thermostat from Analog to Digital (not a digital Coleman though) and made a Powerpoint drawing of the wiring......but did a Jpeg of that drawing so it will post here (hopefully). Note the wires with two colors are Thor original Analog wire splices. The GL and GH are air conditioner low and high speed fan wires and the air conditioner has its own control relays up in the ceiling space I believe. The digital thermostat has its own AA batteries so the coach ground is not required for that thermostat to operate its control relays. I hope this is helpful as a reference as the designations should be similar for all thermostats (famous last words). Good luck
Old 08-15-2015, 04:35 AM   #3

THOR #2631
Try attaching jpeg drawing again.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Analog to Digital Thermostat Conversion.jpg
Views:	23377
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	661  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:54 AM   #4

THOR #2287
Thanks I'll take a look and see if I can hook it up. I'll let you know. Thanks again
Old 08-15-2015, 04:57 AM   #5

THOR #2287
I looked at drawing but it not clear I tried to zoom but it not clear. Can u email it to me at opm32@frontiernet.net thanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:12 AM   #6

THOR #2287
I have a Coleman digital thermostat with 6 wires. R-Y-Gr-Bl-W- Gray..
Out of wall 5 wires . R-Y-Gr-Bl-W. ( no Gray wire) in one bundle.( White was not used)
Out of wall 3 wires. Red / White & Red / White.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

THOR #2631
Converting thermostat

Hi, I have emailed you my powerpoint drawing for my conversion from analog to digital thermostat on my 2013 ACE 30.1.

I think what is important is that these types of thermostats probably have(or should have) similar designations, but the wire colors can vary widely depending on what was available by Thor (or a previous owner) at the time of construction.......so before you disconnect anything on the original analog thermostat write down (or label with tape) which cable(s) and which color(s) were connected to which thermostat terminals. If nothing else, it allows you to get back to a working analog thermostat if the new digital unit has some strange configuration etc.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:32 AM   #8

THOR #2287
Ok thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #9

THOR #2287
Hi every one with a Thor Motor Home especially the ACE 27.1. I just got of the phone with Thor customer service and was told that they could not tell me where a wire would connect to thermostat. It's there wire and they can't say where it comes from or what the wire is for. they sent me the thermostat manufacturers manual which will not tell me where wire comes from. I'm very disappointed in Thor they have a good marketing ploy which dose not mean anything after you buy. I bought this MH a 2016 and have had nothinG but trouble. If anyone is looking at Thor their quality and workmanship stinks.Buyer's Be ware Thor lies...Exam: window leaks, heater electric not hooked up from factory, Roof leaks and things comming apart inside. I could Go on but what's the use I'm stuck....
PS there are 3 wires coming out of wall. 1 Red, 1 White and 1 White with Red stripe. And that's the one (White with Red stripe) I need to know where to connect it at thermostat. If anyone knows I would appreciate letting me know
Old 08-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie322 View Post
.... I bought this MH a 2016 and have had nothinG but trouble. If anyone is looking at Thor their quality and workmanship stinks.Buyer's Be ware ....
Ozzie322,

You're just experiencing what you paid for. The proud experience of being the first to use your motorhome, (and identifying ALL of the defects so that they can be repaired under warranty). You have purchased the responsibility to get everything fixed right, so that you can enjoy your coach now, and down the road for the benefit of the next owner.

This is the norm for all brands and models of RVs, not only motorhomes. All you need to do is look at the threads posted by owners on other message boards.

I just purchased a Thor, after recently owning a Winnebago, and a Fleetwood before that since 2004. And those others had much more severe quality issues than my new coach.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #11

THOR #2287
Well thanks for your reply. I feel better now when you put it in prespecttive. I like the MH layout size. I felt as if I got a lemon. Thanks again
Old 08-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

THOR #2631
Converting to Digital Thermostat

Hi Ozzie322,

After checking a Coleman Digital Thermostat on line (may not be your model) they show the thermo terminal wiring assignments as follows (pretty standard color assignments): This jives with my original posted drawing too if you refer to my original thermo (analog side of drawing). On my digital thermo (not a Colemann) I used the same colors to splice into wall cable wires to make things simple for me if future disconnection and reconnection was required:

Gray - Low Fan
Green - High Fan
Yellow - Compressor
Red - +12 VDC
Blue - -12 VDC
White – Furnace

You said originally you had a 5 wire cable and a 3 wire cable coming out of the coach wall, so I am “guessing” the following connections (NOTE: Disclaimer - guessing means just that, so it is important to use a voltmeter and determine your own +12v and ground wires and refer to installation requirements of your Colemann thermostat so no damage is done. etc)

5 wire cable: likely the air conditioning connections (these were mine)
Red - connects to the yellow (Y terminal) for the comprssor
Yellow – connects to the grey (GL terminal) for the low fan
Green – connects to the green (GH terminal) for high fan
Blue – connects to the blue (B terminal) typically ground. (Note on my digital thermo B was not required)
White - not connected

3 wire cable: likely +12V, ground and furnace wires
Red – probably +12V (verify this) so connects to Red (RH and RC on thermo)
White with Red trace – probably the furnace connection so connects to white (W) on thermo
White – probably ground (verify this). In my case it connected to the Blue wire in the five wire cable to the air conditioner only (as I did not need a ground connection to B terminal on my digital thermo which has its own AA batteries for operation). Since your Colemann digital thermo has a blue wire from the B terminal maybe it requires a ground connection as well? If so then blue to blue to white (gnd).

I hope this works for you. This is my guesstimate on your connections as the wiring colors may be totally different from my Thor ACE 30.1 situation. By the way the +12v should be fused in some way (it may be built into the thermostat or in my case I had to add an in line fuse in the wall).

By the way I have had very few problems with my 2013 ACE 30.1 but it only has 5000 miles on it. Kitchen sink leaked day one (fixed by dealer before I received it); water pump back flow valve started leaking just after a year - I replaced the pump myself. Thats it (knock on wood). I also make sure not to load up the storage locations on any slideouts.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #13

Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
look up this utube video. it will explain it. you do not use the blue wire that comes from the rv.

RV Thermostat Analog-to-Digital Upgrade by RVing4theAverageGuy
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

THOR #2287
Thanks, I'll try there connections and let u know.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:45 AM   #15

THOR #2287
Hi to all. I want to thank you for all help with my Coleman digital upgrade. Especially Javelin. The wiring diagram you gave me was just what I needed. I can report the thermoset is working perfectly. Thanks again
Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #16

THOR #2631
Smile

Hi Ozzie322,

Just back home from a recent RV trip to the Canadian Rockies. Glad to hear that my thermostat wiring info helped you out.