Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

I make it a habit not to drink or prepare food with water from my hot tub or pool.

Perhaps you don't mind the side effects as shown in the safety sheet. I do mind. I'd prefer to stay healthy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-12 18.52.20.png
Views:	75
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	21411  

Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Store bought Peroxide an oxidizer not a sanitizer

FYI Peroxide is great at removing smells, odors, and contaminants but in the concentrations available at retail stores it is not helpful as a sanitizer or disinfectant (for example pool water where I use an ozone generator to remove contaminants but a black light to sanitize). If your tank regularly has city water, peroxide treatment can remove smells and bad taste, but the city water's chlorine is the sanitizer. Peroxide needs to be in 30-50% concentrations to be effective as a sanitizer. Regular Joes can't buy concentrated peroxide, and it is tougher to handle.
Just keep using bleach.
If the contaminant is chemical (from fracking?) you need to know the contaminant before you can devise the best treatment. And if it is fracking related the local authorities need to be made aware (they likely already are). Fracking contaminants are often toxic. I don't use well water in active fracking areas.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:57 AM   #23

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Just do a google search of Sanitizing an RV fresh water tank as I did and go with it. This ain't rocket science!
Old 11-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #24
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Can you tell us where you were please?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #25

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyMark View Post
We just left a campground in west Texas that may have had contaminated water. We learned this from the Flying J down the road when we saw signs posted that the city water was contaminated, and coffee and showers at the truck stop were not available. We filled our water tank while at this campground. When we empty it, should we sterilize the tank? What product or method is good for this? The possible contaminate is salmonella.
Yes, sterilize both your tank and the water lines, including your water heater.
SEE: https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...-simple-steps/
Old 11-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
I make it a habit not to drink or prepare food with water from my hot tub or pool.

Perhaps you don't mind the side effects as shown in the safety sheet. I do mind. I'd prefer to stay healthy.
I would suggest that your water authority uses sodium carbonate to adjust the PH after chlorine or sodium hyperchlorite is added to purify the water. I know mine (SAWS) does.

In the 2006 "Reregistration Eligibility Decision (R.E.D) for Sodium Carbonate; Weak Mineral Bases," the EPA notes that there are no known human health hazards when sodium carbonate is used according to EPA and FDA GRAS guidelines and that "no additional information is needed" to assess its safety.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #27

State: Michigan
THOR #13492
Thank you for all of your advice and helpful hints!

Thankfully, we were not sickened by contaminated water from West Texas, but our experience certainly caused us to think about water -- a precious resource we take for granted.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #28

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
I RV 6 months a year in Mexico. I never use tank water or city hookup to drink, we always use bottled water. We use hookup water for showers & wahsing dishes. I add a cpafull of bleach whenver i fill the tank. I also run it through one of thsoe inline filters.

Tags
sterilize water tank