Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Covering the RV

Just finished a 2 week camping trip, and will not go anywhere for about 3 weeks. How many of you would put the cover on your unit for those 3 weeks? That's about how long our unit will sit in between our trips all year. I'm thinking that keeping it covered for those 3 weeks every month will help protect roof sealants, etc. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
As long as you can keep the cover tight, and prevent it from flapping against the paint of your RV:
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachray View Post
Just finished a 2 week camping trip, and will not go anywhere for about 3 weeks. How many of you would put the cover on your unit for those 3 weeks? That's about how long our unit will sit in between our trips all year. I'm thinking that keeping it covered for those 3 weeks every month will help protect roof sealants, etc. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
We had a couple travel trailers in the past we kept stored outside uncovered. The last one we had I noticed how frequently I was having to replace roof sealant, how often it needed cleaning, sun exposure more on one side, etc. Moved it to covered storage and then it was just dirt and bird poop to deal with. The Dicor looked better longer. Tires looked better. Fewer inside heat issues.

The 2 motorhomes we've now had are kept inside a completely enclosed garage. Even better. Now, this far south the sun is brutal on these things. But I would expect environmental hazards, whether, etc would be no less taxing on your rig.

So I would think the more it stays covered the better for the rig. I never had a desire to climb on and drag a cover over our's, so we found covered and inside storage. We never go more than 2-3 weeks without using our's either, and the idea of that hassle wad not appealing to me.

So my vote is to keep putting the cover in between trips. Unless you have a practical and affordable covered parking option. Then I would grab that and sell the cover to an outside guy.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Fish And Dear, We don't have any inside storage option because keeping it at the house is convenient,but I'm like you, I don't want to have to climb up an cover it every time, but I guess it will be worth it.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We cover our unit through the 6 months of winter, but in the summer its uncovered--no matter how long it is between trips.

On ours the process of covering and uncovering it is enough of a pain that twice a year is about all I'm willing to suffer through LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote