Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2017, 01:14 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
yea,,now what?

The 3rd day I had my MH it got a rock chunked into the windshield.. ins co paid for the "star" fix. A few months later, while sitting in traffic, a small Pu truck comes from the other way, and dam it, spits a stone into my shield.. I paid for this fix, is much bigger then the last... a year goes by, one day I get in my rig and see a 4" crack in the upper center.. I am thinking was the rough road on last trip.. so now it is growing, though not as fast as first.... so.... wait until I sell the MH or have it replaced now? I fear a new windshield will just attract more bad attention... replace now my deductible $1000 and risk higher ins costs.. what to do ??

Old 12-18-2017, 01:45 AM   #22
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
The 3rd day I had my MH it got a rock chunked into the windshield.. ins co paid for the "star" fix. A few months later, while sitting in traffic, a small Pu truck comes from the other way, and dam it, spits a stone into my shield.. I paid for this fix, is much bigger then the last... a year goes by, one day I get in my rig and see a 4" crack in the upper center.. I am thinking was the rough road on last trip.. so now it is growing, though not as fast as first.... so.... wait until I sell the MH or have it replaced now? I fear a new windshield will just attract more bad attention... replace now my deductible $1000 and risk higher ins costs.. what to do ??
Good chance a 4" crack will spread even more if left alone...
And selling MH any buyer would deduct the cost of new windshield.

My insurance agents (multiple states) have told me a comprehensive claim isn't the same as chargeable accident or violation... And shouldn't increase rates.

Even before RV, I've always carried $0 deductible glass coverage. New York policies offered it as option separate from comprehensive deductible (that was a while ago), in Michigan I had to carry $0 deductible comprehensive, and now in Florida, insurance must cover windshields with $0 deductible...
Depending on insurance rules in your state, might want to consider a change to cover the 'more attention'??

But probably best to fix it now in any case...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Good chance a 4" crack will spread even more if left alone...
And selling MH any buyer would deduct the cost of new windshield.

My insurance agents (multiple states) have told me a comprehensive claim isn't the same as chargeable accident or violation... And shouldn't increase rates.

Even before RV, I've always carried $0 deductible glass coverage. New York policies offered it as option separate from comprehensive deductible (that was a while ago), in Michigan I had to carry $0 deductible comprehensive, and now in Florida, insurance must cover windshields with $0 deductible...
Depending on insurance rules in your state, might want to consider a change to cover the 'more attention'??

But probably best to fix it now in any case...
I feel if I replace it something will crack it the next day
Old 12-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #24
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I feel if I replace it something will crack it the next day
Is why I suggested looking at a lower glass deductible if available in your state... For the piece of mind against the 'next rock'.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Minor point of correction, Ed and MO Mike. The early 2016 Vegas and Axis also had the taller windshield. Ours was one of those, and our windshield cracked and was replaced under warranty. Haven't heard of anyone having a stress crack on the shorter windshield.
I forget that there really isn't anything as "set years" in THORLAND (with features kind of soft introduced as they run out of the older equipment)

Hopefully your replaced windshield has been kind to you.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #26

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I forget that there really isn't anything as "set years" in THORLAND (with features kind of soft introduced as they run out of the older equipment) Hopefully your replaced windshield has been kind to you.

No problems with the replaced windshield, except the dealer who did the Thor warranty windshield replacement tried to stiff me for $500! They suggested I call Thor, which I did. I may have mentioned that my Thor forum friends will be real interested in how this turns out! Got a call back in 20 minutes, from both the dealer and Thor, no charge, come and get it.

Living in Florida, we have $0 deductible on glass, which is super, but I still am very cautious about not leaving the coach parked with one corner on higher ground. Did that once, and the crack was the result. (Reminder: our Vegas has the taller windshield.) Also, I leave plenty of room between us and other vehicles, especially gravel and flatbed trucks. An ounce of prevention...
Old 12-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #27

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Mr Sunshine was right. Thor did change the size of the Axis/Vegas in model year 2016; however, it was not at the beginning of the model year. So there are 2016s out there with long windows and others with short windows.

The glass guy who replaced my cracked windshield in the 2015 told me it is very difficult and requires patience and determination to install the long windshields correctly. He said it is very easy to induce asymmetrical stress at the attach points. Then the flexing and bouncing around going down the road, and applying stress to the frame as we jack it or drive it up on blocks to level can again increase the stresses asymmetrically.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #28

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Glass Breakage

I don't believe I have a glass breakage policy through my regular RV auto insurance. Does anyone have the coverage I have seen advertised through this Guardian Glass company?
Old 12-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #29
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I don't believe I have a glass breakage policy through my regular RV auto insurance. Does anyone have the coverage I have seen advertised through this Guardian Glass company?
In most states, it is included in comprehensive coverage.
But you are in California.... anything possible there.

Not familiar with the Guardian plan.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
We have windshield coverage 100% through out NORMAL RV policy.

It cost $10.00 extra a year

Figured it was worth it.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:48 PM   #31

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
In most states, it is included in comprehensive coverage.
But you are in California.... anything possible there.

Not familiar with the Guardian plan.
We have GEICO and glass breakage is covered under our comprehensive I was just informed with a current $500 deductible. For about another $125 @ year premium increase I can get a $50 deductible for glass breakage.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:12 AM   #32

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Yes even in California comprehensive coverage incudes replacement for glass breakage. Also true is that a claim under comprehensive will not show as an accident, chargeable or not on your insurance record, so premiums should be unaffected.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #33

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Had foreign object damage to my Windshield early this year while traveling. I had it repaired at no deductable at safelite. Would insurance now replace windshield with standard deductable? It hasnt spread at all.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #34
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
Had foreign object damage to my Windshield early this year while traveling. I had it repaired at no deductable at safelite. Would insurance now replace windshield with standard deductable? It hasnt spread at all.
If you can make the argument that the repair failed... I expect they would cover it.. especially if in drivers line if sight... distorting vision or like.

(My insurance on toad wouldn't even consider the repair route when in drivers line of site - they said replace... I was carrying $0 deductible comprehensive at the time (MI) so I didn't argue.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #35

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
I had rock damage in Louisiana...got repair promply at safelite in San Antonio. Their shop is very convenient to I10. The repair has held steady for two years.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #36

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
I think the rule of thumb is if the damaged area is smaller than a quarter they can repair it with the epoxy. Cost me $110 dollars to have fixed. I had a windshield replaced by Safelite years ago on my old DP. They said if you can not feel the crack on the inside (laminate side) and its not growing, you can drive home to have it fixed. that was Texas to California. Insurance covered it all. It was around $500 dollars.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote