Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12022
Feedom Elite mattress - oy

The previous owner of my 2016 Freedom Elite 26FE left a big impression...right smack in the middle of the mattress 😵. Been sleeping in it since June 1st and it’s crimping my style. I suspect I will have to order a custom made mattress that folds near the foot of the bed to accommodate the bedroom slide. Anyone have experience with the folding mattresses and a reasonably priced source for replacement?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:12 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For our drop-down bunk I ordered a mattress from The Foam Factory. You can specify just about any configuration you want, including folds or segments (I picked up a 3" high density foam + 3" memory foam in a tri-fold configuration).

If you give them a call with measurements you probably can dictate exactly where the fold is.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

THOR #12022
Much appreciated JamieGeek. I checked out the website and I’ll give them a jingle. Are you happy with your combo of foam & memory foam?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoBeDoBeDo View Post
Much appreciated JamieGeek. I checked out the website and I’ll give them a jingle. Are you happy with your combo of foam & memory foam?
Yes: Its the most comfortable mattress in the coach.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
i picked this up for my 22fe. when slide is out you have to make up a 2" difference at the end of the bed. i just cut up a memory foam mattress pad i had laying around. i wish i had done it sooner. it folds up just fine when you pull the slide in. i just put some pillows and comforter on top and it stays in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Serenia-Sleep.../dp/B008V655LO

or this would work also

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Deluxe-...DYE3ZQZ5QD6CKB

patrick
Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

THOR #12022
That’s a thought pjciii-does your wife find the bed comfy? No hips hitting the board beneath? I actually flipped the original mattress over recently so the dip is on my dogs side of the bed but the mattress is so thick I had to have someone hold the end of it up while I pulled the slide in. I am thinking about eliminating the overhang at the end of the bed, I don’t need the extra length and it would give me more room to make the bed. Is there any reason you can see that it wouldn’t work ?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

THOR #3371
It is plenty comfy. you do not feel the boards underneath. i also got a 4" full XL to replace the overhead bunk..i enjoy the extra comfort. just wish the wife and dog would left me sleep in it longer. but you do have to make up the difference. the main body of old mattress is like 4" and the end piece is 6". there is a gap between slide out and the base of bed. people will say get a mattress topper. life is to short not to be comfortable. make the bed while it is folded and then when you unfold it is all done. mattress pad, fitted sheet the top sheet. you can get to corners better. then unfold.

patrick
Old 08-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #8

THOR #12022
[QUOTE=pjciii;135270life is to short not to be comfortable.

patrick[/QUOTE]

DONE. It’ll be here Monday - a day before sleep deprivation delirium sets in. Thanks again Patrick for the details & excellet bed making tip. I’ll update after a few nights of zzzzzzz’s.

Katy
Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #9

THOR #12022
I slept on my new zinus 8” mattress last night !! I had some egg crate foam that I doubled under the gap at the bottom, made it level and I held it in place with the straps on the mattress pad. Only problem was....my dog didn’t let me sleep in it longer 😴 Soooo comfy, Thanks Patrick for the excellent and very affordable suggestion! Katy
Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

THOR #3371
if you ever look at changing out the bunk get a 4" foam mattress in full XL almost exact dimensions without cutting. you have to use a piece of 3/4" ply wood to cover the cutout and a little Velcro.

patrick

Tags
mattress woes, oh my aching back, sleepless in co