Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Disconnect switch

Not sure if this has been covered already, did a search but didn't find anything conclusive. I've got the Axis 27.7 winterized and waiting for spring, stored inside, not heated tho, and I have it plugged into 15A shore power. From what I can tell the unit has an onboard battery maintainer. Question is for the maintainer to function do I have to have the 12V switch in the on position like I do for travel or in the off position for storage?
Thanks

Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Disconnect Switch

The switch should be in the use or on position when charging from shore power.
Depending where you are the house batteries will hold their charge if its not too cold but I have found that to keep the house batteries at a complete charge I just put it on shore power with the switch in the us or on position for a couple of days and do this once a month. This also gives me a chance to check the inside for any unwelcome visitors and place the required deterrents as needed.
You can leave it on but its not necessary as a fully charged battery will not freeze but always remember to put the switch to the off or store position since even small draws of power will drain the coach batteries.
Hope this helps
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
A Very Merry Christmas and Happy and Safe 2020 to all
Old 01-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Florida
THOR #13665
Confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
The switch should be in the use or on position when charging from shore power.
Depending where you are the house batteries will hold their charge if its not too cold but I have found that to keep the house batteries at a complete charge I just put it on shore power with the switch in the us or on position for a couple of days and do this once a month. This also gives me a chance to check the inside for any unwelcome visitors and place the required deterrents as needed.
You can leave it on but its not necessary as a fully charged battery will not freeze but always remember to put the switch to the off or store position since even small draws of power will drain the coach batteries.
Hope this helps
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
A Very Merry Christmas and Happy and Safe 2020 to all
Coveman2 your answer is confusing. You tell them correctly "The switch should be in the use or on position" until the last thing you say is to "put the switch to the off or store position".
Old 01-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
When I unplug from shore power I put the switch to store or in the off position and when I reconnect the shore power put it in use and charge the coach batteries for a day or two depending how cold it is, hope this clarifies.
Coveman2
Old 01-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When driving, boondocking, or plugged-in: always set it to "On"
Whenever your RV is just gathering dust in the driveway: turn it to "Off".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #6

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Not sure if this has been covered already, did a search but didn't find anything conclusive. I've got the Axis 27.7 winterized and waiting for spring, stored inside, not heated tho, and I have it plugged into 15A shore power. From what I can tell the unit has an onboard battery maintainer. Question is for the maintainer to function do I have to have the 12V switch in the on position like I do for travel or in the off position for storage?
Thanks
For maintainer to function... Yes, you have to have the 12v switch in the on position.

Trick: Buy a cheap 12 cigarette adaptor plug with digital LED readout into a socket that you know is on the house batteries. I bought one with Red LEDs and it is easy to see. It helps to easily see the voltage of house batteries with no wiring install. I can quickly tell if switch is on/off if my voltage is reading 13.7 or higher. I have seen as high as 14.1v with engine or use switch on with shore power.

Also; I need my use Switch on (in use mode) in order for the propane gas to work. It has electronic ignition. I say so if I want the furnace to come on when temp hits 40 degrees or below. When I know I want NOTHING, then I turn the switch to OFF.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote