Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
As to speed, my advice is do yourself, your passengers and the other drivers around you a favor and keep it under 70 and preferably 60-65. RV's are not cars and they don't handle like cars. They are big, heavy trucks and are 5 or 6 times heavier than cars. Because of their design they catch a lot of wind, which if you're not careful and careening down the road at 70+ can easily cause you to lose control very quickly. And finally, as already noted by others, you gas mileage will suffer greatly if you push that V-10 to 70+. Take your time, enjoy the scenery and stay safe. We generally stick to back roads specifically to avoid the hassles and bordom of the Interstates and the speeds they require.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
We have a 2017 24.1 and enjoy it but initially were surprise by handling concerns when being passed by semi trucks or encountering 20+ mph cross winds. Make sure you get a good alignment and consider adding SafeTplus and front and rear stabilizers. We did and they do make a difference. Even so we probably average about 62 or 63 on the Interstate.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you're retired, and in a hurry: you're probably doing it wrong anyway!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #24

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you're retired, and in a hurry: you're probably doing it wrong anyway!
Amen!

It took a couple of years to get used to not having to be somewhere at a certain time and schedule point A to point B in the fastest time possible with no concerns of seeing surrounding beauty away from the interstate. Retirement acclimated we found ourselves less tired at the end of the day as a result of the slower pace. I generally drive about 60-62 if towing the car, maybe 65 if not. Sometimes 55-60. Lots of variables. Without a doubt you can drive faster. RV DP behemoths routinely pass me when on the interstate at what seems at least 75-80 mph. How do they stop those things? Air brakes? One flew by me towing a Cadillac and a boat! How do they do that! Is it legal?
Uhoh, I'm rambling. Sorry. It's the early morning coffee.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #25

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Amen!

It took a couple of years to get used to not having to be somewhere at a certain time and schedule point A to point B in the fastest time possible with no concerns of seeing surrounding beauty away from the interstate. Retirement acclimated we found ourselves less tired at the end of the day as a result of the slower pace. I generally drive about 60-62 if towing the car, maybe 65 if not. Sometimes 55-60. Lots of variables. Without a doubt you can drive faster. RV DP behemoths routinely pass me when on the interstate at what seems at least 75-80 mph. How do they stop those things? Air brakes? One flew by me towing a Cadillac and a boat! How do they do that! Is it legal?
Uhoh, I'm rambling. Sorry. It's the early morning coffee.
I have been passed by the newer 42' plus DP's with tag axles and it always amazes me how fast some of them are traveling. I know some have been going between 80 and 90mph. Since we are shopping and doing some research on [B]used DP's I have come to the conclusion that the main reason some of them drive like that is because of the way those coaches handle. But of course that doesn't mean they can stop them any better.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #26

State: North Carolina
THOR #9217
Speedy chocks

We have a Gemini 23tb and speed does not seem to be a problem. It has a 3.2 L power stroke turbo diesel and our last 954 mile trip was at 15.8 measured mpg in mostly hilly terrain. I usually travel below the posted speed as I find it less tiring than weaving in and out of traffic. Even at that I am good for only about 8 hours. Anything beyond that and get irritable and fidgety. I had rather enjoy the drive than fight the traffic. Also, after leveling with blocks, I set the e brake and always chock one front and one opposite rear tire in opposing directions. Not sure that it matters but makes me feel better.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #27

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I have been passed by the newer 42' plus DP's with tag axles and it always amazes me how fast some of them are traveling. I know some have been going between 80 and 90mph. Since we are shopping and doing some research on [B]used DP's I have come to the conclusion that the main reason some of them drive like that is because of the way those coaches handle. But of course that doesn't mean they can stop them any better.
That speed in crazy and obviously, they have not considered an emergency braking issue. I drove both fire engines and fire trucks for over 26 years and have been through many driving schools using full equipment and can tell you, that at those speeds, they really risk loosing control very quickly.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #28

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
We have a Gemini 23tb and speed does not seem to be a problem. It has a 3.2 L power stroke turbo diesel and our last 954 mile trip was at 15.8 measured mpg in mostly hilly terrain. I usually travel below the posted speed as I find it less tiring than weaving in and out of traffic. Even at that I am good for only about 8 hours. Anything beyond that and get irritable and fidgety. I had rather enjoy the drive than fight the traffic. Also, after leveling with blocks, I set the e brake and always chock one front and one opposite rear tire in opposing directions. Not sure that it matters but makes me feel better.
We have the Gemini 24TX, which has the 3.0L Mercedes diesel. It too consistently gets between 16 and 17 MPG depending on how hard I push it. Like you I do not like driving long distances on any given day, but I prefer no more than 4 to 5 hours. For leveling, the Gemini is currently at the dealer having an HWH leveling system installed, and also a second air conditioner.

BTW on another note, the comment that someone has seen lots of 42 foot + DP's running at 80MPH or more, which of course is unsafe as hell, but also those 22.5 tires are rated to run at no more than 75MPH.