Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #9249
Drive speed, wheel chocks

Hello everyone,

We do not have a unit yet but are seeking a Vegas/Axis 24.1 as our first RV and have enjoyed the information in the forum.

Couple of questions, in good weather and road conditions on the Interstates can you/should you drive an RV this size at 75-80 mph (I-70 speed limit Colorado-Utah)? Wondering about sudden side wind and shortening the life of the unit. I am used to wind concerns at highway speeds on my motorcycle but being a newbie know nothing about motor homes. I realize gas mileage probably suffers.

Secondly when parked in a level camp spot with full hookups, would I use wheel chocks like my RV trailer friends or do you just set the emergency brake or just put it in park and call it good?

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcouple View Post
Hello everyone,

We do not have a unit yet but are seeking a Vegas/Axis 24.1 as our first RV and have enjoyed the information in the forum.

Couple of questions, in good weather and road conditions on the Interstates can you/should you drive an RV this size at 75-80 mph (I-70 speed limit Colorado-Utah)? Wondering about sudden side wind and shortening the life of the unit. I am used to wind concerns at highway speeds on my motorcycle but being a newbie know nothing about motor homes. I realize gas mileage probably suffers.

Secondly when parked in a level camp spot with full hookups, would I use wheel chocks like my RV trailer friends or do you just set the emergency brake or just put it in park and call it good?

Thanks.
As for the speed... yes gas mileage will suffer the faster you go... Think the dealer I bought my first used RV from said it best - "you've got to pay to play"... lol
'Can you' and 'should you' may have different answers here...
Will it get up there - yes... Will you feel comfortable/safe driving it that fast (or more specifically stopping it from that speed) is a different question... Mine is longer and on a different chassis (Hurricane on F-53).. I rarely have it over 70 (new potential toad will lower that to 65 when/if I equip that one to tow)... I am very comfortable driving my car at 75-80 - but not so much the RV. Remember its the 'other idiots' on the road that might cause you to have to do something unnatural - and it just doesn't and never will have the same handling characteristics.
(But driving motorcycles I'm sure you know all about the 'other idiots'...)
Personal choice on what you feel comfortable with.

You will see many threads of handling mods - mostly for the F-53 but some apply to the E-450.

As for parked to camp - I would tend to say 'park' and 'brake' is fine - Assuming you have the rig leveled with blocks, etc.
But again I drop 4 leveling jacks too... except for stays at "Chateau Walmart" or rest areas...
I'm sure others will chime in.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

THOR #9249
Thanks

Thanks for your comments Greg. I was thinking defensive driving similar in RV to a motorcycle.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I frequently get up to 70 or even 75 on occasion in our Axis 24.1 (not going to admit to doing 80 but I'm sure the speedo needle has been there once). No issue at all doing that other than the V-10 gets quite a bit thirsty.

I've found the best/most comfortable way to drive it: Set the cruise control about 1 or 2 mph below whatever speed traffic is running at. That way you won't have to turn off cruise control that often as people won't be getting in your way (all the other traffic will just go around you and since the speed delta isn't that great you won't be really annoying too many people LOL).

As for gas mileage: If you keep it to 65 mph you can get close to 10 mpg or so (depending on the model year: the newer ones have a better transmission with more gears so they can get 0.5 - 1 mpg more than the older units).

Parking: Yup park it, and put the parking brake on. No jacks so you'll want to carry something to use for leveling (unless you buy a used one with jacks or you have the dealer install them).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
No one can tell anyone else what speed to drive but one thing to always remember, increased speed, especially with weight, will increase the distance you need to stop. I drive my cars at 7-8 mph over speed limit but when I drive my RV, I drive at a much lower speed due to weight and handling characteristics. Just common sense issue. My Class C, I drive between 60-62 unless passing. MPG, usually between 9-10.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We love our Axis...we have had 2 previous motorhomes .. B+..and a toy hauler....Everything Jamie said, we agree ...
We run 65 and DO deal with the winds of western KS, eastern CO and Texas etc. often....our Axis gets 9-11 mpg .
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You'll find good help here, we all were beginning RVers at one time!

The real question isn't whether you can drive an RV that fast, we see RV's speeding down the interstate all the time. The question should be, can you stop? I found the actual speed of our 2016 Vegas (E-350) is 1-2 mph below what the speedometer says. Another related concern is control in an emergency.

I usually run about 65 on the interstates,unless the limit is lower. At that speed, I can relax a bit and enjoy the ride. I leave plenty of room from the vehicle ahead and don't let getting boxed in once in awhile get to me. The late George Carlin said, "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

Forget the wheel chocks, just set the parking brake. Some leveling blocks will be necessary in some campsites. Leveling jacks are great, we have them, but you would be wise to delay that expense for a while.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You need to drive at the speed that makes you and your passengers the most comfortable.
Having said this: I'm a reall "Low & Slow" guy. I rarely (if ever!) even exceed 60...
So remember: the passing lane is the one on the left! When you come up on me: put it to your best advantage!
I'm in no hurry to get anywhere!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

THOR #9249
You are all giving the same advice so it must be true. You make a great point with stopping with a heavier vehicle - I always sat that on ice 4 wheel drive is not 4 wheel stop.

Thanks all for the advice. My wife and I are looking forward to the experience, hopefully we are not that annoying couple parked next to one of you folks one day.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcouple View Post
You are all giving the same advice so it must be true. You make a great point with stopping with a heavier vehicle - I always sat that on ice 4 wheel drive is not 4 wheel stop.

Thanks all for the advice. My wife and I are looking forward to the experience, hopefully we are not that annoying couple parked next to one of you folks one day.
I hope that you DO park next to us!
The rest of the Park can complain about BOTH of us, and sharing it will, will make the load seem lighter!!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Just took my first two week trip in our ACE 30.3, towing Kia Sorento. On the interstate it was comfortable at 60-65. Concur completely with the comments about stopping distances and maintaining adequate spacing, especially with a 4500 pound toad at the rear, although the tow dolly does have its own surge braking system. On a somewhat separate issue, if you use a GPS system that does not specialize in RV routing, check closely where it is routing you. We went into Ohio Amish country using Waze on my iPhone for navigation. It took us a very scenic route on narrow, hilly, winding county and township roads. No problems, but must drive slowly and stay alert. I got tired much more quickly just because of the added stresses of driving conditions, especially as a newbie.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Think of speed and fuel mileage like a penny doubled a day, the faster you go the more fuel you use. The difference between 65 and 70 mph is about 10%. Speed won't hurt your coach, just your wallet!!! Slow down and enjoy the scenery!!!

You won't need chocks, put transmission in park and always apply the emergency brake and you're good to go. Trailers need chocks because they don't have a transmission to put in park or an emergency brake.

Everyone starts out as a rookie, ask lots of questions, RV people tend to be very friendly and willing to help. Main thing, have FUN!!!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:33 AM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If I had a nickel for every newbie parked next to me I'd have about $2!
Seriously don't hesitate to ask questions here or any park neighbor.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It's not a bad idea to carry chocks though if you have leveling jacks. If you park with the back lower than the front it's possible that the back wheels could come off the ground when you level. The front doesn't have a parking brake or transmission and theoretically you could roll off the jacks. Admittedly it's a slim risk but it's best to have thought about it and be prepared.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
It's not a bad idea to carry chocks though if you have leveling jacks. If you park with the back lower than the front it's possible that the back wheels could come off the ground when you level. The front doesn't have a parking brake or transmission and theoretically you could roll off the jacks. Admittedly it's a slim risk but it's best to have thought about it and be prepared.
The Axis/Vegas does not have levelers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
We have the 25.2 and also try to cruise at about 65. No mileage estimates yet as everytime we have gone out we are either in the mountains or pulling a 5500 pound trailer. I do know, you have to watch it on interstate highways, you may look down and find you are doing 75. they will really go....It wont hurt anything but your mileage. We can actually hear a engine noise increase about 67, that makes it easier to keep down. As far as stopping, these things do really well, because the have all 4 wheel disc brakes.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #17

Brand: DRV
Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
As for the speed... yes gas mileage will suffer the faster you go... Think the dealer I bought my first used RV from said it best - "you've got to pay to play"... lol
'Can you' and 'should you' may have different answers here...
x2^
Chocks... first thing down, last thing up. That adds to how many drivers get those 100K, 200K mi. accident free mile badges. YMMV.

Be well.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #18

Model: Windsport. 35M
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I always have chocks. Parking brakes and Park tranny pawl have failed me before. Also needed to change rear tires. Safety first.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The Axis/Vegas does not have levelers.

Mine does! (Aftermarket HWH)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #20

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Pretty much any RV can be driving at 75 or even 80MPH. The question is always control, what if something unexpected happens, can you safely swerve at that speed, without losing it? Can you stop in time? Common sense and safety concerns says, bigger, heavier vehicle means more conservative driving.