Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #14044
Driving over the Cairo bridge in Missouri

I hope everyone reads this. Today we were traveling from Sawanee Nat'l Park to Arkansas. GPS, my new nemisis, took us over the Cairo bridge. It spans the Ohio and Mississippi River in Missouri. The air/wind from an 18 Wheeler coming towards us pushed us a couple of inches, just enough to make us rake a panel under the door. Scariest think so far in our motorhome. This bridge is crazy narrow. I highly recommend not crossing the Mississippi at this bridge. Way too narrow.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow, yeah thats pretty close (StreetView).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Ha ha! Yep, that bridge will certainly accelerate your pulse. We’ve only crossed it in our Yukon but the river was very low so the height above the water was greater. I’m not sure my wife exhaled until we reached the other side. [emoji2]
Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
All the Missouri bridges used to be that narrow. We used to cross the river on the Chain of Rocks bridge. Just as narrow, except it has a bit of a dog leg as you're crossing.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
You should have seen the bridges on the old US 1 in the Florida Keys in the 60s and 70s. They were built on the old Flagler single track RR with concrete slabs on top of the old road bed and RR rails as the side rails. They were so narrow that tractor trailers used to smash their side view mirrors against each other as they went by. The bridge at Marathon was 7 mikes long. The bridge at Bahia Honda was built on top of the steel lattice work structure of the old bridge and when you got to the top, you could not see over until you started down the other side. You can still see the old bridges if you drive to Key West.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:49 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancychandler View Post
I hope everyone reads this. Today we were traveling from Sawanee Nat'l Park to Arkansas. GPS, my new nemisis, took us over the Cairo bridge. It spans the Ohio and Mississippi River in Missouri. The air/wind from an 18 Wheeler coming towards us pushed us a couple of inches, just enough to make us rake a panel under the door. Scariest think so far in our motorhome. This bridge is crazy narrow. I highly recommend not crossing the Mississippi at this bridge. Way too narrow.
The bridge is 20 ft guardrail to guardrail plus it is in a curve. Most class 8 trucks are 8.5 ft wide; add another foot for the mirrors and the truck will be slightly over the double yellow line. Much better I-57 north to Illinois 146 over to I-24 and back to Paducah. It is 43 miles farther but just about as fast in total time. If you are in that part of the woods, I recommend a visit to Big Oak Tree SP in East Prairie, MO (1,000 acres of virgin hardwood Mississippi bottom land) and Columbus-Belmont SP, KY (civil war fort on the high bluffs of the Mississippi with nice shaded RV spots).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:18 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
I always wondered if it was "possible" for an RV to fit on that bridge with an 18 wheeler approaching...

I always tried to time it so I could cross without any oncoming traffic in my car, definitely don't think I am brave enough to try it in our VEGAS,,,
Old 10-17-2019, 02:52 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I'll drive over any bridge in my pickup with little to no anxiety but taking my motorhome on a narrow or long bridge definitely puckers me. I will add this bridge to my list of detours.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:11 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Thanks for pointing this out. We crossed that nasty, narrow bridge several years ago with our pickup and fifth wheel. It was a nail biter and I swore to avoid that one no matter how much farther I had to drive.

That bridge was opened in 1937, and replacing it is in the works. Overdue.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #10

Model: Vegas
THOR #14044
Thanks all for commiserating with me. I tried to find a list of "narrow dangerous bridges" but couldn't find anything relevant. Guess I'll start my own list ��
Old 10-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13816
Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this. While I do drive our Vegas, my husband knew from the beginning I wouldn’t be driving over any significant bridges. I normally try to scope out our routes via google maps, but I now know I also need to check out the street view. I can’t believe how narrow this bridge is!!
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Thanks all for commiserating with me. I tried to find a list of "narrow dangerous bridges" but couldn't find anything relevant. Guess I'll start my own list ��

Great post and one more added to my list of avoidance. Add the Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:54 AM   #13

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
Broken mirror

Hwy 155 in WA. state crossing the Colombia river at Coulee Dam just north of the dam. They increased the deck but did not move the uprights next to the deck. Had to move to the right for a oncoming truck and took mirror on class C into the window, lucky window did not break just mirror and my wife nerves.

Had drove 7000 miles to AK and back and the only problem was 200 miles from home, Very hard to drive without the right hand mirror and you can't just got to the nearest auto store and get one.

Also class C mirrors are closer to the ground then A's and have had problems with high bridge rails in the Pacific northwest had some close calls
Old 11-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
We have been on that bridge on motorcycles...but avoid it like the plague otherwise. We cross at St. Louis or Memphis...hate the crazy busy traffic in both locations.
In May, we crossed the Mississippi at Vicksburg.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We have been on that bridge on motorcycles...but avoid it like the plague otherwise. We cross at St. Louis or Memphis...hate the crazy busy traffic in both locations.
In May, we crossed the Mississippi at Vicksburg.
Plenty of other good wide places to cross between those two very cinjested places. The I-155 bridge near Caruthersville, MO that connects to I-69, the Dorena-Hickman ferry which connects to KY-80 which is four lanes most of the way across KY, the I-57 bridge north of Cario, and Cape Giaradeau, MO (MO-146) which connects to IL-3 (the Great River Road).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Plenty of other good wide places to cross between those two very cinjested places. The I-155 bridge near Caruthersville, MO that connects to I-69, the Dorena-Hickman ferry which connects to KY-80 which is four lanes most of the way across KY, the I-57 bridge north of Cario, and Cape Giaradeau, MO (MO-146) which connects to IL-3 (the Great River Road).
agree...we have used the I-155 bridge as well...depends on area we are headed...when heading to FL, etc...we generally go through Memphis when we are 'on task' ….even tho the traffic is crazy as is the St. Louis traffic.

We have crossed at Cape Giradeau several times...on motorcycle...and in RV. Pretty area...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#dangerousbridge