Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Brand: Airstream
State: Wisconsin
THOR #4743
Driving a Thor Vegas

I am considering purchasing a Thor Vegas, 24.1 motor home. My concern is how it handles ion highway conditions. I now drive a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 towing a 32' Airstream. I am used to wandering steering from my X but I am also accustomed to a smooth comfortable ride.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Chaplain,
Welcome aboard!
I think the Vegas handles just fine. But there are a couple of caveats. I have added the RoadMaster Anti-sway bar to the rear end based on comments in this forum.

You may also find that getting the front end aligned helps. There are known issues with the alignment. Make sure that before you buy, negotiate a front end alignment with the dealer.

But, after both of these adjustments, driving the square box down the highway is not difficult. Maybe not butter, but pretty smooth.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Shortly after we picked up our Axis I started this topic to discuss how to drive them (since they are on the E series chassis they drive like an E-Series van): http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-1000.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:57 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Fighting Wind

Just got back from a SoCal to Yellowstone to Montana and back to Socal trip. Seems like I was fighting the wind for at least a third of the trip. Is there anything else that is worth the investment to fight the wind gusts???? I have done the alignment, tire pressure and a Saf-T-Plus. The 2016 24.1 has sway bars already. It was very irritating. Is it just part of the deal when driving a box down the highway? I saw larger Class A's and 5th wheels driving past me while I was driving 50-55 mph trying to keep it between the buoys...
Old 07-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
We bought our 24.1 13 months ago. Have made no modifications to it, as it drove perfectly when we picked it up.

We now have 11,000+ miles on it.

Good luck with your purchase, and WELCOME to the forum!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We are starting our 3rd month with an Axis. Handles like any other big box on a truck frame which is ok. A little slop in the steering box but that is typical Ford. Since it is a 2016 on the E 450 chassis it has the anti sway. Haven't made a decision on the steering stabilizer as we have had those in the past and they really didn't do much.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
We are starting our 3rd month with an Axis. Handles like any other big box on a truck frame which is ok. A little slop in the steering box but that is typical Ford. Since it is a 2016 on the E 450 chassis it has the anti sway. Haven't made a decision on the steering stabilizer as we have had those in the past and they really didn't do much.
We are in the middle of a 3 week trip..have about 5500 miles on our 2016 Axis now....Having fought the windy plains of Kansas...on our June trip west...
Ron has decided to place a better anti sway bar in the rear and have the stabilizer on the front.
He held off until he was absolutely sure that the steering wasnt going to
'settle in' and become more stable. Being very familiar with Ford steering for a number of years, he knew what to expect...the BIG BOX catches so much wind and due to where we reside, we cannot travel without dealing with it.
He is ready to make the improvements.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Brand: Airstream
State: Wisconsin
THOR #4743
Thanks all for your replies. After reading the threads we have decided to not purchase a Thor. I am so accustomed to the quality and fit of an Airstream it would be very difficult to spend money on something which has not been engineered and designed properly.