Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alaska
THOR #12752
Driving through AK/CAN in 3 weeks

So I’m relocatibg out of AK 1 Oct and will be trekking it through AK then Canada in a few weeks. I’ve talked to a few folks about how to NOT freeze your pipes up in case it gets into the freezing temps at night. The plan is to open all cabinets at night and run the furnace and a space heater and insulate the windows in the back bed area where my wife and baby will be sleeping. Any other quick easy suggestions? Don’t want to winterize because we need the ability to have water. Being first week of Oct I should be good. Suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Do you have heated waste tanks? If so turn on those heaters (if they have a switch--they are often on a thermostat anyway and don't heat the tanks unless its colder than 40F).

Get a ceramic electric heater as well. The furnace can really eat up the propane when temps get cold (we used a full tank over a weekend when it was 32F out the whole weekend).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
When I travel in winter. I keep a gallon of antifreeze in shower and flush toilet with it.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
As said I would use more electric heaters than propane as you will go through the propane very fast.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Temperature wise the beginning of October you should be fine. The problem you may encounter is finding RV parks open with plug ins for the heaters. A lot of northern places close at the beginning of October.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
right, finding ‘plug in’ options after September is difficult - so when you need heat the most, when parked overnight, it will be hard to come by if you’re not running your generator, or engine itself.
Running water takes much more to freeze, so if temps do drop below the 30s for more than several hours, you’ll want to periodically run the water to move it thru the interior lines, mainly for those in the more exposed wet bat area.

Who knows - you could see no nights with any temperature issues, or you could see every night(and day) freezing - you’ll not know until then...

one option, if you have no external power and you expect many hours of overnight freezing temps, could be to simply use your ‘low point’ drains to drain your lines. Make sure your water pump is off when you do. You may even need to drain the water heater. Use bottled water if needed overnight. Matter of fact, unless you really HAVE to take showers, bottled water can be easily used for everything, even flushing.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Some advise

You've gotten the correct advise. Where possible use small space heaters vs your furnace. It will take a hard freeze to damage your plumbing. As you've said, leave your cabinets open (especially around your water pump - it has some very thin plastic parts on the connection - that is the voice of repairs). Leave your tank heaters on (if your model has them). Top up your fresh water tanks and disconnect your hose at night (it will be one of the first things to freeze). Keep your gray and black tanks emptied when warm. Opening and closing valves can be difficult when frozen and can lead to breaking them.

With that said - you should be okay. We envy your trek down the AlCan. We've made it twice and LOVED it. Can only imagine how beautiful it will be. Take a look at Watson Lake for our sign in the sign village. I've attached some pics to identify the sign. ENJOY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00835.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	12712  
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
As an indicator just 4 kicks. I will leave a few bottles of water out. 1 outside, 1 inside, 1 in compartment. Surprising how long they take to freeze if they even do. I'm in NW Indiana. Cold climate.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
Agree finding parks open will be a challenge. If you do they will probably only have electric service available. Keep your onboard fresh water tank on the fuller side. Went up early June this year and ran into that in upper BC and Yukon. Frost was still in the ground. Also very few parks have 50 amp service so make sure your are 30 capable. Even ran into one park in Whitehorse with only 20 amp service.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Do you have heated waste tanks? If so turn on those heaters (if they have a switch--they are often on a thermostat anyway and don't heat the tanks unless its colder than 40F).

Get a ceramic electric heater as well. The furnace can really eat up the propane when temps get cold (we used a full tank over a weekend when it was 32F out the whole weekend).
Unfortunately I do not have heated tanks. I will check out the ceramic heaters, thanks.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #11

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnbl View Post
Agree finding parks open will be a challenge. If you do they will probably only have electric service available. Keep your onboard fresh water tank on the fuller side. Went up early June this year and ran into that in upper BC and Yukon. Frost was still in the ground. Also very few parks have 50 amp service so make sure your are 30 capable. Even ran into one park in Whitehorse with only 20 amp service.
Good to know thanks. I do have a 20 amp adapter. I’ll keep feeling her up with water at gas stations. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #12

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
As an indicator just 4 kicks. I will leave a few bottles of water out. 1 outside, 1 inside, 1 in compartment. Surprising how long they take to freeze if they even do. I'm in NW Indiana. Cold climate.
That’s a great idea thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #13

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
When I travel in winter. I keep a gallon of antifreeze in shower and flush toilet with it.
Ordering some off of Amazon thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #14

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
You've gotten the correct advise. Where possible use small space heaters vs your furnace. It will take a hard freeze to damage your plumbing. As you've said, leave your cabinets open (especially around your water pump - it has some very thin plastic parts on the connection - that is the voice of repairs). Leave your tank heaters on (if your model has them). Top up your fresh water tanks and disconnect your hose at night (it will be one of the first things to freeze). Keep your gray and black tanks emptied when warm. Opening and closing valves can be difficult when frozen and can lead to breaking them.

With that said - you should be okay. We envy your trek down the AlCan. We've made it twice and LOVED it. Can only imagine how beautiful it will be. Take a look at Watson Lake for our sign in the sign village. I've attached some pics to identify the sign. ENJOY!
Perfect! Yeah we drove through Watson coming here. We even stuck a plate up. We’re shooting down towards Seattle this time. Glad you had fun. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #15

THOR #1020
Looking at the western BC route via Cassiar Highway for next year with the RV. I haven't dug out Milepost to see how it helps with campgrounds. I'll be interested to know your experiences. Enjoy!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #16

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:

The Totem poles in Stanley Park in Vancouver, BC look pretty good too. Oh yeah, while you are up that way, check out Capilono suspension bridge too.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #17

THOR #12752
Quote:
Looking at the western BC route via Cassiar Highway for next year with the RV. I haven't dug out Milepost to see how it helps with campgrounds. I'll be interested to know your experiences. Enjoy!!!
I’ll keep everyone updated when we leave!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #18

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
The Totem poles in Stanley Park in Vancouver, BC look pretty good too. Oh yeah, while you are up that way, check out Capilono suspension bridge too.
Adding to our bucket list! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #19

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Alaska through Canada in October

I live just north of Edmonton, Alberta Canada and we camp in our vans and now our Thor Freedom Elite 23H in October. The big issue as many have correctly identified is lack of open campgrounds, and services. A couple of suggestions that I have used. One we often camp at small airports. They are less secure than US ones, and many times if you arrive early enough in the afternoon you can make arrangements to plug your motorhome in. It maybe 15 amps but it will recharge your battery, and allow your furnace to run all night and your microwave. Cost will be about 10 bucks if they charge at all.
At some airports we can use the public washrooms because as pilots we know the door codes, others are open 24/7.

The next issue is dumping tanks and adding fresh water. My municipality (St Albert) forbids Walmart camping, but does have free dumping stations, but for fresh water you have to hook up to a gas station. The dumping stations are used all winter for carpet cleaning /steaming trucks to dump their scuzzy water at the end of the day. The city does not object because the hot water cleans up some of their lines each day all year round.

Rocky
Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #20

THOR #1020
Great info. We're are contemplating the trip via western BC next summer.