Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
First time travel with a cat

I may be taking our feline friend with us on a 3 week stint. What are the pros and cons. Where to put the kitty pan, emotional stress (cat and owner) [emoji9] etc. The RV is a 35' Hurricane bath and a half. Not sure if it's a good choice. I appreciate any comments.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Rember one thing: If the Cat ain't happy: neither is anyone else!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1546353528
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grumpy-cat.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	14840  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Texas
THOR #11718
My brother and his wife travel with an older cat that adapted quite well. They put her in their MH several times before actually taking her on the road so she was familiar with her surroundings, location of pan, food, etc. I believe they keep her pan in the shower, but if you have a half bath, even better. I would only travel with a cat ( no walking at all hours, no worrying about getting back to walk if I want to be away from my MH for a few hours). I see more and more people traveling with cats, even walking them on a leash and setting up little screened areas so they can spend time outside. If you enjoy the company of your pet, be patient in the adapting process and go for it! Happy travels.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #4

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
We travel with our cat but it took some adjusting. We let her explore the coach while parked in the driveway - twice with us in it and once on her own. She took up a spot on the bed as hers. Out first trip with her was stressing but she adapted well when we stopped. She did not use the litter box for 3 days and about exploded when we got home. It was totally our fault - the vet said not to introduce a new litter box but instead use the one from home. We did this the second trip and she was fine. We then spent 6 weeks on the road. She knew when we were leaving or parking for the night when she heard the slide. We used a cat outdoor playpen for her so she could get fresh air. Also, we kept food and water out during travel and can here her eating. We are in a class C and keep the litter box under the dinette during travel and between the seats in the cab when stopped.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

THOR #5840
Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
We travel with two cats and a dog. When the coach is parked the cats are fine but in motion neither one likes it much. We started crating them for travel and they seem much happier. We place the crates on the floor with the ends facing so they can see each other. Now they travel just fine. Litter box is in the shower since we normally us the shower at the campground. When parked our big Maine Coon can usually be found laying on the dash watching the world go by and sleeping, the little one claims the bunk on our class C laying under the Quantum's skylight.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:07 AM   #7

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
We travel with two cats and a dog. When the coach is parked the cats are fine but in motion neither one likes it much. We started crating them for travel and they seem much happier. We place the crates on the floor with the ends facing so they can see each other. Now they travel just fine. Litter box is in the shower since we normally us the shower at the campground. When parked our big Maine Coon can usually be found laying on the dash watching the world go by and sleeping, the little one claims the bunk on our class C laying under the Quantum's skylight.
Yeah, that was one of my concerns. The noise of a moving vehicle. I will have to introduce her a little at a time. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
We put the cat in a carrier while the MH is moving, no need for her to find a home around the pedals. Once parked and set up we let her out, her and the dog become distant friends again. Our MH has a fold out part in the dash that when open leaves an open space. We have put a blanket there for the cat, she seems to like it. Has taught the dog how to get on the dash, not so good. As for the litter box. We ended up getting one where the cat has to enter from the top, as the dog seems to like to eat the litter etc. This box is large than we like but it is what it is. We do not store it in shower as we use the on board shower, thus its put in the hall way. Other than both the cat and us getting used to it in the hall way it really has not been that bad.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #9

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
We put the cat in a carrier while the MH is moving, no need for her to find a home around the pedals. Once parked and set up we let her out, her and the dog become distant friends again. Our MH has a fold out part in the dash that when open leaves an open space. We have put a blanket there for the cat, she seems to like it. Has taught the dog how to get on the dash, not so good. As for the litter box. We ended up getting one where the cat has to enter from the top, as the dog seems to like to eat the litter etc. This box is large than we like but it is what it is. We do not store it in shower as we use the on board shower, thus its put in the hall way. Other than both the cat and us getting used to it in the hall way it really has not been that bad.
We have a carrier too but she hates it. Still deciding whether to leave her home alone or try taking her. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
We have traveled for 21 years in a motor coach with our two Abyssinian cats. The current Abbys are 5 and 4 years old. The food and water is kept in the cavity between the drivers compartment and the living room slide on a non slip carpet pad. The cat box is under the rear bench seat of the dinette. I walled off the rear of that storage area to allow the air compressor and vacuum to be stored there also. I put a small LED night light in the back and wired it to the dinette duplex receptacle. I use a rubber shower pad under the box to line the enclosure. We carry two round cat houses where the Abbys spend there time when under way. When parked, they are on the dash if sunny otherwise in the bed. We shut them in the bedroom when getting gas or loading the coach after a shopping trip. Since they happy walk on a leash and are used to going outside, an escape is always a possibility. We spent considerable training the to go inside when they hear the command "house". It works about 90% of the time. After all, they are cats.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #11

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Yeah my cat started on the gas pedals but I kept moving her until she decided the dash looked good, which was Ok with me.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Arizona
THOR #10761
This probably does not help in your situation. We bought a class C specifically for the overcab bed. It is the cat stuff zone. Keeps all of their stuff out of our living area.

When moving one of our cats is in a carrier, her safe spot, she just sleeps and the other is either on the rear bed or the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	catsarea.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	14874  
Old 01-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by milobramble View Post
This probably does not help in your situation. We bought a class C specifically for the overcab bed. It is the cat stuff zone. Keeps all of their stuff out of our living area.

When moving one of our cats is in a carrier, her safe spot, she just sleeps and the other is either on the rear bed or the dinette.
Thats a sweet kitty setup.

We had to put our cat to sleep in 2017 - cancer. Been holding off for a replacment while we take care of my Mom (in home hospice).

But I think something this year (2019) we will find a fuzzy replacment (For the cat ....not mom...LOL).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by milobramble View Post

Not a cat person but that set up is about as cute a picture I've seen. Amazing how well our pets have it!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Arizona
THOR #10761
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Not a cat person but that set up is about as cute a picture I've seen. Amazing how well our pets have it!!

They are a bit spoiled....but we love em and want them to be on the road with us. You can kind of see the short Cat tower that I put between the 2 front seats for them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	both.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	14876  
Old 01-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
This is "Blondie the Cat" at 70 MPH. Spoiled rotten!! If only they knew how well they have it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180818_131406.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	14878  
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #17

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
We have a 17 year old cat. Katie adapted well to the RV. She stays under the driver's seat while we travel. She is attached to my hip all the time, so under the seat she feels safe. Her water is under the passenger seat while the food bowl is near the bed in the back of our Axis 25.2. she loves the dash to hang out while camping. I removed the small cabinet door under the bathroom sink. I also removed the shelve. The small litter box fits perfectly under the sink and is easily cleaned from there. No way it's going in the shower!

Name:	Attach6149_20180726_132051.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	14879Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_095626.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	14880
Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #18

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
We don't have a cat, but a small doxxie that justs wants to go in whatever vehicle, I guess it depends on the cat's temperament, so the acclimation process will tell.
Good luck.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #19

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
We don't have a cat, but a small doxxie that justs wants to go in whatever vehicle, I guess it depends on the cat's temperament, so the acclimation process will tell.
Good luck.
Thanks for your thoughts on we are still mulling it over. To complicate things, she has not been feeling well recently. So we have alot to think about.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #20

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
We travel with 2 cats. They ride in a crate, but roam free when we are parked. I cut a cat door into the bathroom door and we put the pan in the shower. The litter is wheat-based and biodegradable/septic-safe, so can be put down the toilet. On our previous TT, I had compartmentalized the under bed storage and cut in a cat door there. Both have worked out well. The cat door also locks, so we can out them in there if we have a reason to leave the door open very long.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote