Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #7738
Dry camping

Has anyone dry camped using the inverter. I am camping later this month and have never used the inverter. How long can I dry camp and not kill the batteries?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
This depends on your model of coach, the inverter supplied and the batteries themselves. I believe in most cases the default arrangements will last for 8 hours and maybe more depending on usage before requiring the generator or another method of recharging the batteries. Others have added batteries and/or solar to extend the inverter power when dry camping without using the generator for long periods.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
This depends on your model of coach, the inverter supplied and the batteries themselves. I believe in most cases the default arrangements will last for 8 hours and maybe more depending on usage before requiring the generator or another method of recharging the batteries. Others have added batteries and/or solar to extend the inverter power when dry camping without using the generator for long periods.

Thank you. I have a new 2018 Thor Hurricane. I plan on running the generator before we go to bed to charge it up. Hopefully that will allow us to have the heat on if it get cold. If it is warm enough at night we will just use it for lights and maybe a little tv to watch a movie.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Not sure about the Hurricane but my Thor Ace has a propane furnace. The fan and controls operate on 12vdc, so all you need for heat operation is propane and 12vdc.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
The Hurricane has a propane furnace that operates on 12v as well and should last the night unless it gets REAL cold.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjlindsey View Post
Thank you. I have a new 2018 Thor Hurricane. I plan on running the generator before we go to bed to charge it up. Hopefully that will allow us to have the heat on if it get cold. If it is warm enough at night we will just use it for lights and maybe a little tv to watch a movie.
All of your interior lights should be 12v... the furnace is 12v (+ propane)... so only the TV will be running on the inverter (the default is 110v for TVs - I installed a 12v TV and Blu Ray for dry camping/boondocking..)

With that load should be no issue... (assume RV fridge that will be 12v controls and propane for cooling too).

Minus the inverter for TV - I can easily do a 3-4 day weekend on batteries - only starting the genny briefly if microwave or coffee maker is needed.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

THOR #7738
Does anyone know if the outside kitchen runs on the batteries or is it also running on propane.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You don't need the inverter to run the furnace, it uses 12 volts and propane. If you are watching tv yes, you need the inverter for that.

The outside kitchen refrigerator runs on 120 only.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #9

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You don't need the inverter to run the furnace, it uses 12 volts and propane. If you are watching tv yes, you need the inverter for that.

The outside kitchen refrigerator runs on 120 only.

Thank you so much.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Does anyone know if the outside kitchen runs on the batteries or is it also running on propane.
The outside fridge runs off the inverter.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post

Yes but how long.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #12

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I meant to say 120 which would be shore power or the inverter, left off the inverter part. Thank you for the correction!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Yes but how long.
Until the batteries die.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #14

THOR #5196
Quote:
Yes but how long.
Kinda hard to say, the fridge itself doesn't run continuously, so I guess it would depend on how much is in the fridge and what the outside temp is.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #15

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Kinda hard to say, the fridge itself doesn't run continuously, so I guess it would depend on how much is in the fridge and what the outside temp is.

Okay. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #16

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Please understand what you are asking has many different answers.

First understand that people will say this and that are 12V so doesn't use the inverter. This is correct, however, it still is depleting the battery. If you are not using the generator or shore power then all power comes from the batteries. The inverter takes the 12VDC and converts to 120AC. There is some residual loss in the inverter depending upon the model.

The batteries are rated in amp hours of usage. Depending on how many you have, what you run, quality of battery, care of batteries, etc. will dictate how long they will last.

Generally speaking, manufacturers intend the batteries to carry minimal base night time loads for the coach for about 8 hours (heat, fridge, night lights, etc, - Not Air Conditioning)

Do not run batteries below ~60% charge or you will ruin the plates and reduce the future capacity of the batteries. Generally speaking do no allow loaded voltage to drop less than 11.8 VDC before charging.

There are many resources on the web and forums discussing proper battery maintenance and usage. I would suggest for you to do your own research.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #17

THOR #7738
Well first time boon docking was a success. We ran the generator for about an hour each day. Only had the fridge running. Generator only used about an 1/8 of a tank of gas. Only issue was a spot that wasn't very level but we managed.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Well first time boon docking was a success. We ran the generator for about an hour each day. Only had the fridge running. Generator only used about an 1/8 of a tank of gas. Only issue was a spot that wasn't very level but we managed.
Good for you. I have dry camped in Denali NP in Alaska for a week at a time without being able to move the RV and only had to run my Axis for an hour every day to keep the batteries up. The second year, I bought a small solar panel which also helped some. Boon docking and dry camping in National Forest sites opens up a whole new realm of possibilities.