Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #14070
Electric Awning Auto Stop?

Unfurled my awning this morning and took it a little farther than I wanted to. It looked like it stretched the stitching and could’ve snapped if I had not stopped and quickly put it back in. Does it not auto stop?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6796.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	15039

Old 01-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 29.3
THOR #6522
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
Unfurled my awning this morning and took it a little farther than I wanted to. It looked like it stretched the stitching and could’ve snapped if I had not stopped and quickly put it back in. Does it not auto stop?

Attachment 15039
No on our Ace you have to stop it.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:

Attachment 15039
Our 30FE has to stop it or it will roll back up.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's doubtful it could pull it out of the mounting rail, but if it continues rolling it will certainly roll BACK up, just the wrong way : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #14093
On mine 2015 Axis the awning does not stop but it does roll back up as well.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #6

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Please don't laugh at me: Its the old toilet paper roll question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it's doubtful it could pull it out of the mounting rail, but if it continues rolling it will certainly roll BACK up, just the wrong way : /
Please don't laugh at me
Its the old toilet paper roll question.
Which is the right way? I am assuming over the top.
I have had it both ways with no issues, not on purpose, I had rolled it in from inside and only noticed it when I got to my next destination.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Please don't laugh at me
Its the old toilet paper roll question.
Which is the right way? I am assuming over the top.
I have had it both ways with no issues, not on purpose, I had rolled it in from inside and only noticed it when I got to my next destination.
Well if you want it to fill with water roll it the wrong way, it should be obvious. My FIL had a trailer delivered with the awning rolled the wrong way; he thought he had a switch problem because when he pressed Extend it retracted and when he pressed Retract it extended.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

THOR #14093
I am not laughing at all. That was an excellent question. In my opinion this has to be rolled up so when the awning is all the way in no water or any debris can get to it. But if you would ask my wife she would give you another explanation. And that is why I do not question her when I go to my RV or home bathroom��
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #9

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
OK that is what I thought, rolled up the wrong way I don't get much water, but my driveway has a slight pitch.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #10

THOR #14070
Okay so I’m gathering that my awning wouldn’t have ripped off, that it would have simply rolled up the wrong way. Thanks all!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #11

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Okay so I’m gathering that my awning wouldn’t have ripped off, that it would have simply rolled up the wrong way. Thanks all!
So, I had been pressing and HOLDING the Extend/Retract button to roll the awning out or in...several times I overshot the mark, and the awning would start to roll up the wrong way. Now that the manuals for my Compass 23TR are available in the owners resource section of the Thor Motor Coach website, I finally have a copy of the Carefree Latitude Awning manual, and learned that you are supposed to PRESS AND RELEASE the Extend/Retract button, not hold it! Unfortunately, my rig is in storage, and I can't test it out...
Old 01-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #12

THOR #14093
I guess I should be reading the manuals. I remember when we were at the dealership the guy was doing the same thing, holding the switch. Well, I need to try it. Thank you.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #13

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
I guess I should be reading the manuals. I remember when we were at the dealership the guy was doing the same thing, holding the switch. Well, I need to try it. Thank you.
Same here! In fact, I have a nice little video of the tech who did our orientation holding the switch to extend/retract the awning...
Old 01-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Unfortunately, my rig is in storage, and I can't test it out...

Just tried my 23TR awning and I pushed "out" once and released. It rolls out to its far extension and then rolls in about 1/2 turn, just enough to drop the little flap. Same going in, press once and watch it do its magic.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:54 AM   #15

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Just tried my 23TR awning and I pushed "out" once and released. It rolls out to its far extension and then rolls in about 1/2 turn, just enough to drop the little flap. Same going in, press once and watch it do its magic.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:42 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29m
THOR #13665
Dealer said watch out.

Quote:

Attachment 15039
Ours does that too. When we picked it up the dealer said to watch out not to roll it up backwards. He said driving down the road it would come unrolled by the wind.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #17

THOR #14070
Electric Awning Auto Stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaguy View Post
He said driving down the road it would come unrolled by the wind.

I can’t see how that could happen, because the motor still holds it tight, but I’m not going to test it!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #18

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
cool! I wish mine did that. It's a pain sometimes standing there holding that button pressed.
...except, what happens if you want to wind it out or in part way? does it act like most car side windows now, where a single push is auto, but push and hold is manual...or else a second push stops it mid-travel?

Anyway, not that I'm likely to do the mod... but for curiosity's sake I'd love to know if that control logic is in the switch, a separate relay system, or something in the awning itself.....
Old 01-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
cool! I wish mine did that. It's a pain sometimes standing there holding that button pressed.
...except, what happens if you want to wind it out or in part way? does it act like most car side windows now, where a single push is auto, but push and hold is manual...or else a second push stops it mid-travel?

Anyway, not that I'm likely to do the mod... but for curiosity's sake I'd love to know if that control logic is in the switch, a separate relay system, or something in the awning itself.....
First, the awning won't move when the ignition is on; neither, extend or retract. Second ,the motion sensor is a module in the Latitude is a shock sensor. When the shock sensor's limit is exceeded twice is 6 seconds the IN function is selected. Third, there is a current sensor in the switch assembly than monitors the current draw. When the EXTEND function is activated and the current draw is dramatically increased, the logic module knows the awning is fully extended and reverses the motor's direction for about one second; then resets the module waiting for the shock sensor Lastly when the IN function is selected and when the current monitor senses a stalled motor, it knows the awning is fully retracted and removes the current and resets the module.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #20

THOR #14070
Good stuff, Beau! As blw2 mentioned, it is like a car window; same behavior. More like a car than it should be, too.

On my previous coach (2013) my awning motor died. The dealership informed me it’s a common problem because the manufacturers use a window regulator motor, which is intended to stay protected from the weather inside of a car door. The awning is more exposed and the motor develops rust on the inside.