Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2019, 04:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #15685
Electrical help please

2019 Vegas 24.1. It’s been 2-3 weeks since our last outing. Getting ready for a long weekend, unplug it (30 amp), back it out of the garage and immediately notice no bu camera. Just about everything works when it’s plugged in though I didn’t check the slide or the bed lift. Unplugged and I have no power in the coach, the radio/cameras won’t come on and the generator won’t start or crank.

The batteries are charged but can only check when plugged in as the display doesn’t work when unplugged.

I’m only just beginning to look at the manuals and Ed Felker”s guide. Apologize in advance as we’re still fairly new at this (purchased end of may) and I don’t know all of the terminology.

Appears that it’s not switching from shore power to the house batteries?

Thanks in advance

Don
2019 Vegas 24.1

Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
You cannot check your batteries when not on shore power.... not with the internal battery monitor. Get a volt meter and see what is going on with them when not plugged in. I am guessing you have the original batteries and they are notorious for not lasting too long. That is a place to start.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Make sure the store/use switch is in the use position. Our radio, backup camera & coach lights don't work when it's off.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Make sure the store/use switch is in the use position. Our radio, backup camera & coach lights don't work when it's off.
Our's works the same way
Old 08-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yup check the use/store switch. The only time you put that in "store" is when unplugged and storing. If you're leaving the coach plugged in leave the use/store switch on use (the batteries won't charge on store).

Better yet: put disconnects on the batteries and always leave use/store in use (use the disconnects when storing somewhere not plugged in)--in fact if your coach is always stored plugged in then you don't need the disconnects.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

THOR #15685
Thanks for the replies.

I’ll check the batteries with a volt meter, but when connected both coach and chassis batteries read between 12.6 and 13.4.

I always leave the master switch on....we’re always plugged into 30 amp when parked in the garage. The only time I turn it off is before we connect to shore power.

The light on the master switch is lit when plugged in. It goes off when unplugged and flipping it when unplugged does nothing?

I did check all of the breakers, looked for loose or disconnected wires and set/reset a switch that was in the battery compartment
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I’ll check the batteries with a volt meter, but when connected both coach and chassis batteries read between 12.6 and 13.4.

I always leave the master switch on....we’re always plugged into 30 amp when parked in the garage. The only time I turn it off is before we connect to shore power.

The light on the master switch is lit when plugged in. It goes off when unplugged and flipping it when unplugged does nothing?

I did check all of the breakers, looked for loose or disconnected wires and set/reset a switch that was in the battery compartment
Why do you turn it off before connecting to shore power? Seems like that is not necessary.

Also note that those lighted master switches will light up when they are "off" and connected to shore power (so the light isn't an accurate depiction of the switch state)--at least that is what I've gathered from others with the switch on the forums here. (That is something you can experiment with: unplug 120V, turn the switch off so the light is off and then plug in. To be sure you could measure a battery voltage: unplug and turn off the master and measure the batt voltage (should be 12V or so) then plug in if the light comes on but the battery remains at 12V the master is still "off").
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post
Thanks for the replies.

But when connected to what? SP? Disconnect the coach from SP, wait 15 minutes, now measure the house battery voltage AT THE BATTERIES. I'm assuming you don't have a chassis battery problem as the engine starts.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #9

THOR #15685
Thanks again to all for the responses.

Did some checking with a multimeter early this morning. The coach batteries read between 3 and 4.4 volts depending upon if I’m on SP, not on SP and it seems to make a slight difference if that circuit breaker is tripped. I’ll try to attach pics.

Are these 6 volt batteries in a series or 12V? Either way it seems reLly low voltage, especially since I’m always on SP (30 amp) when stored. I also always use an EMS.

The display when on SP says that both the coach and chassis batteries are good?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28E675AE-28A3-4128-BD1C-976612570515.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	19477   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B3BE59E-8F74-487B-A900-2137FB71CB47.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	19478  

Click image for larger version

Name:	32710EDB-6B19-4F9D-91B4-22E172177A3F.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	19479  
Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Two of the photos you posted shows a circuit breaker that has a blue button (trip) and a yellow "flag" that shows when the breaker is tripped. On one of the photos, we see the yellow flag is out. Depending on where in the circuit this circuit breaker is located, it likely is between the coach batteries and the distribution panel. So your batteries will not charge when you are plugged in, as long as the circuit breaker is in the tripped condition.

Hope this helps. Not sure whether you have 6 or 12 volt batteries, but if you place your meter leads on + and - posts of each battery, you will soon know.

Oh yea - with battery voltages as low as you measured, you likely will need to replace both batteries. They do not like being discharged this low.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
How many cells per battery? 3 = 6 volts; 6 = 12 volts. Can't tell from the pics.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
How many cells per battery? 3 = 6 volts; 6 = 12 volts. Can't tell from the pics.
True enough - I'm guessing it's two 6-volt batteries if the OP is measuring 4 volts on them. Very low, regardless.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #13

THOR #15685
6 cells so 12 volts.

This just happened. Got a private message from TMC who read problem on the forum and recommended I call customer service.

I called, very helpful! He believes that I probably hit the master switch accidentally which would have kept the house batteries from being charged. And since I was plugged into SP, the light on the master switch will stay lit whether the switch is actually on or not.

I’ll skip out of work early and check this out and will post the results later.

Even more amazing than possibly getting a fix is that TMC reads this stuff. Believe it was “Tom” that I spoke to at TMC. Way to go Thor.....and Tom, and of course everyone here on the Forum