Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #12969
School me on my RESIDENTIAL FRIDGE

I am the owner of a brand new Windsport 34r. I have owned campers before but never with a residential fridge.

Questions:
1. does it automatically run through the inverter when I’m driving?
2. Will it automatically run on battery if I am dry camping and don’t run the generator?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
only if the inverter is ON.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
turn the Inverter ON

it provides 120v power from the batteries to your Fridge's outlet, anytime, including while you are driving, and anytime you want it to when you don't have shore power or are running the generator.
It's your 'third' power source - making great use of your House batteries, and may also power some other 120v outlets in your coach... turn it on and plug in a fan or small device to each outlet and see which ones work from the Inverter.

Once you know a little about the power of the Inverter, while camping and traveling, you'll wonder how you did without it!

When you're on shore power, or running the generator, the Inverter simply goes silent, until you are off shore power or the generator is shut off, when it comes back 'on' to continue providing power to the fridge and other outlets.

Some will say they turn off the inverter when it's not needed, such as when on shore or generator, but I always leave our on, 24/7, because if the outside breaker trips, or the whole campground loses power, your inverter still powers the fridge and other things, even maybe TVs and satellite receivers, and floor fans, so that you don't lose everything and can continue, until shore power is restored, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
One nice thing about residential refrigerators is that being level is not so important. If you end up boondocking in a sloped rest area you can still use your Fridge. We usually switch off our residential refrigerator at night to save battery power. Just remember to turn it back on in the morning.