Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
Posts: 362
THOR #6203
Extended warranty

I realize this is a personal choice and I've never bought an extended warranty for anything I've ever purchased, but I've never purchased a MH before.
The dealership is pushing this hard. The various packages range from $6600-$8700 for 60 months.
I realize that a MH has the potential for many things to go wrong but have any of you found it worthwhile to purchase an extended warranty?
These prices seem unreasonably high, but then again I have nothing to compare to.
__________________

__________________
sforl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
Posts: 459
THOR #4656
It is a rip off. A way for them to get additional profit. Do this math. Gee it's only $40/mo more on your payment. Yea, but that's for 20 years, so after the five years of the warranty is over, I'll still be paying for a warranty I no longer have.

Don't let the fear mongers suck you in on this. Also refuse the "paint protect ant" and the "fabric protection".

When you get in the finance managers office, just remember, he makes his money on extended warranties and other marketing fluff. They will even go as far as to place a contract under your nose which includes the extended warranty, telling you he was able to get you a better finance rate because you took the extended warranty.

Now I'm sure someone will be along to comment how their extended warranty saved them x amount. Just say no.
__________________

__________________
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
It is a rip off. A way for them to get additional profit. Do this math. Gee it's only $40/mo more on your payment. Yea, but that's for 20 years, so after the five years of the warranty is over, I'll still be paying for a warranty I no longer have.

Don't let the fear mongers suck you in on this. Also refuse the "paint protect ant" and the "fabric protection".

When you get in the finance managers office, just remember, he makes his money on extended warranties and other marketing fluff. They will even go as far as to place a contract under your nose which includes the extended warranty, telling you he was able to get you a better finance rate because you tool the extended warranty.

Now I'm sure someone will be along to comment how their extended warranty saved them x amount. Just say no.
I agree 100%
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 755
THOR #4687
I actually put the keys to the RV on the finance managers desk and started to walk out the door when they wouldn't take "no" as an answer. Told her if she mentioned it again I was gone (she didn't believe me)

The salesperson and sales manager ran after me (especially since they had already added some extras to the coach) I told the manager that I wouldn't deal with the finance person, and if they wanted me to give them the down payment check and sign the papers, they would have to get someone else to handle the transaction.

He said he would do it and I was out of there WITH the RV in three minutes....

It just shows how HARD they try and get you to go for the profit maker...
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 808
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I realize this is a personal choice and I've never bought an extended warranty for anything I've ever purchased, but I've never purchased a MH before.
The dealership is pushing this hard. The various packages range from $6600-$8700 for 60 months.
I realize that a MH has the potential for many things to go wrong but have any of you found it worthwhile to purchase an extended warranty?
These prices seem unreasonably high, but then again I have nothing to compare to.
An extended warranty is simply repair insurance. I normally don't purchase it on anything either but with my last purchase (used) I negotiated it in at the last minute for $1,600. That was only 3 years of protection but I can take it anywhere I want.

A 5 year extended is probably costing the dealer around $2,000, or maybe up to $2,400 depending on how many they are selling. If you are leaning toward having the extra protection I would either offer them $2,000 for their plan or go elsewhere. There are tons of plans out there for a lot less money than $6600 to $8700.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 1,675
THOR #1589
I, too, am not a fan of extended warranties. The F&I guy, and the dealer, will pocket at least half of that big number, so they are highly motivated to spin your head around. Yes, you may hear from folks who saved money with them, but my personal experience is it would have been a waste of precious money during my last 25+ years of owning RVs.

The biggest problems with them are the deductible and the exclusions. My father told me, "The big print giveth, and the fine print taketh away!" Unfortunately, few read those contracts until they have a problem.
__________________
Lessons are repeated until learned. Fast learners get extra rewards!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,593
THOR #5196
I Agee 100%!!! Rip OFF!!!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:06 AM   #8
Member
 
State: California
Posts: 38
THOR #6375
I don't usually buy warranties but I'm working and living out of my new Unit and when something goes wrong it can pay for itself in one major fix. I think it comes down to how you are using yours.
__________________
sevansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
DocP's Avatar
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 34TSB
State: Ohio
Posts: 244
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I actually put the keys to the RV on the finance managers desk and started to walk out the door when they wouldn't take "no" as an answer. Told her if she mentioned it again I was gone (she didn't believe me)

The salesperson and sales manager ran after me (especially since they had already added some extras to the coach) I told the manager that I wouldn't deal with the finance person, and if they wanted me to give them the down payment check and sign the papers, they would have to get someone else to handle the transaction.

He said he would do it and I was out of there WITH the RV in three minutes....

It just shows how HARD they try and get you to go for the profit maker...
This is so funny - I did exactly the same thing with my last purchase and had the same outcome! When I recently bought my new Hurricane, they assigned me to the same finance person who was pressuring me on my previous purchase. She remembered me, and started off by saying "I assume that we won't be mentioning the extended warranty or any add-ons?"
__________________
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 808
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevansx View Post
I don't usually buy warranties but I'm working and living out of my new Unit and when something goes wrong it can pay for itself in one major fix. I think it comes down to how you are using yours.
Very good point. If full timers or long timers and putting a lot of miles on it might be a good idea. Replace a frig and a couple more things and you have gotten your money back.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,519
THOR #2829
As stated by several it is personal preference...
If you decide you want one - shop around... and pick right time to buy it.

With a new RV you get a 1 year coach warranty from Thor and 3 year/36,000 mile engine/powertrain warranty from Ford (or similar I assume if non-Ford chassis).
On used RV, the remaining engine/powertrain (if any) is transferable to new owner.

Buying the extended service plan (they are NOT warranties) at the time of a new purchase - don't forget the years they are including overlap with that warranty...

Plans bought at time of purchase are almost always paid upfront (or financed - ouch... look at the real cost of financing that for 20+ years...)
After-market plans allow paying monthly - changing deductibles to match your needs, etc..

Buying new - I would recommend holding off - see what your 'year 1' experiences are - and then buy after-market if you so desire before your warranty expires... (remembering you still have 2 years of engine/powertrain warranty left).

Buying used - depends on your risk tolerance... ability to fix things, and available time.

My last purchase was just under a year old... I did buy one covering the coach only at purchase... I cancelled that after two years as the powertrain warranty was expiring - and picked up an after-market 'pay by the month' plan to cover all. Doing it again - I wouldn't buy from dealer at purchase.

I do a lot of my own work - time can be an issue for me - and have really viewed it as more 'major breakdown' coverage rather then the 'little things'.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
sage's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 170
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Extended Spending Plan

My very first RV was a 10 year old Class A and I had no idea of what kind of issues I was going to be facing so I purchased a one year service contract. It did end up paying for itself when the generator died on me that was purely a chance of timing. I would never make that purchase again.

If you have the money to make that kind of purchase, put it in the bank in a separate account and sit on it until you need it. If you do. And as others have said, don't think twice about financing it, it'll cost you a fortune in interest.
__________________
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
Posts: 362
THOR #6203
Sage
I passed on the extended warranty for the reason you expressed. I prefer to have it earning me money than me earning money for CW.
i would never consider financing anything of this nature or anything at all for that matter if there is any way I can avoid it.
__________________
sforl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
rickymac's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
Posts: 274
THOR #6507
I Purchased ESP, but then Cancelled

I purchased an ESP including tires for 2 years coverage ($8100.) After reading small print I cancelled one month later. I purchased my unit at Camping World of Columbia (SC). Currently going through cancel process. I was told that refund check will be issued and sent to the lien holder (M&T Bank). I was told that $8100 would be taken off the end of the loan; thereby reducing my payoff. I was told that this process takes 8 weeks. In the paperwork issued by CW, it states that under SC state law, the refund process has to be completed in 45 days or the selling company can be charged 10% per month until reimbursement is completed.

Anyone ever went through this process???
__________________
Rick & Jan
with Lilly (Most Active Dog) & Mattie (Laziest Dog in the World)
Wally: 2014 Thor Windsport 34f
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 808
THOR #5246
The dealer has to add back in their profit to make your refund whole. Almost all of these extended warranties work the same, no matter if they are on a RV, car, or motorcycle.


For example the dealer can purchase the warranty for $1,500. They sell it to you for $4,000. They just made $2,500 commission. The problem comes in when it is the type of warranty that you can cash back in the unused portion. So the warranty company is only sending a check for around $1,300 to $1,400 for a one month old warranty that is being cancelled back to the dealer. The dealer has to put back almost all of his commission to make the refund to you. Obviously they (the dealers) don't like doing that at all and sometimes drag their feet.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
rickymac's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
Posts: 274
THOR #6507
Joe-FL Thanks for your comment. I thought that was the way it worked.

I have not got any type of negative reply from CW and they seem to be helping me with the process. At the end of 8 weeks hopefully the full refund will have been made to the finance company.
__________________
Rick & Jan
with Lilly (Most Active Dog) & Mattie (Laziest Dog in the World)
Wally: 2014 Thor Windsport 34f
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
Posts: 459
THOR #4656
Rickymac, On our previous 2015 Thor Four Winds, we went through the cancellation process within a week and it was just as you stated, they took the refund off the back end of the loan. Well isn't that just wonderful. Your payments stay high throughout your loan period. What should happen is a refinance of the loan which would lower your payments.
__________________
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
rickymac's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
Posts: 274
THOR #6507
Nosticks - I think I will refinance after the payoff is lowered. Thanks for your comment!
__________________
Rick & Jan
with Lilly (Most Active Dog) & Mattie (Laziest Dog in the World)
Wally: 2014 Thor Windsport 34f
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 176
THOR #1287
Extended Service Plan

I don't buy these--except for my RV's-- but never from the dealer. I'm on my 3rd RV and each of the other two policies (one for a lightly used fleetwood and one for a new fleetwood) paid for themselves. You need to read the print, and find out what is excluded. You want seals and gaskets covered, and no or minimal exclusions. I ended up getting about 6 quotes, and every time ended up that Wholesale Warranties always gave me the best price for the best plan. I am not affiliated with them at all, but for the $1800-$2200 for a five year plan (effective after my 1 year warranty expired) I usually end up with a new A/C, a leaf on my springs, fridge, or awning. And because I take 3+ week vacations with kids (and sometimes pets) in my RV, it was peace of mind that I could get repairs (and housing if needed) no matter where in the US I was. Prices, deductibles, and exclusions are all over the place, so if you are interested, get up to speed on terms and conditions and get multiple quotes.
__________________
ArrrV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
Posts: 56
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
The dealer has to add back in their profit to make your refund whole. Almost all of these extended warranties work the same, no matter if they are on a RV, car, or motorcycle.


For example the dealer can purchase the warranty for $1,500. They sell it to you for $4,000. They just made $2,500 commission. The problem comes in when it is the type of warranty that you can cash back in the unused portion. So the warranty company is only sending a check for around $1,300 to $1,400 for a one month old warranty that is being cancelled back to the dealer. The dealer has to put back almost all of his commission to make the refund to you. Obviously they (the dealers) don't like doing that at all and sometimes drag their feet.


It's called a charge back in the auto business. Dealers are use to it. I never allowed more than a 10% markup, so when we did get a chargeback it was minimal. Also it was more likely customer would buy and be extra happy when needed.
__________________

__________________
carboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2