Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Suck it up and back in! You should NEVER, raise your rear wheels off the ground, blocked or not! I know someone is going to say they do it all the time but it’s still dangerous. The only brakes you have when parked are on your rear wheels, chocks are good, but not enough. The metal feet on your jacks will slide on concrete, you risk personal injury and damage to your coach. Just not worth it! Just my humble opinion, along with around 40 years of experience.
I do plan on backing in despite the semi-busy street. I guess they can just grumble and wait like I always do, LOL. I am thinking about chocking the back wheels, but it seems like I have read that this is not a good idea. I will indeed make sure the parking brake is set nice and hard.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
I do plan on backing in despite the semi-busy street. I guess they can just grumble and wait like I always do, LOL. I am thinking about chocking the back wheels, but it seems like I have read that this is not a good idea. I will indeed make sure the parking brake is set nice and hard.
I’m like you, have had to wait on other drivers, now it’s your turn to make them wait! They might cuss a little but they’ll get over it! Suck it up buttercup!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #23

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
There should be no problem placing a chock in front of the rear duals--it is amazing what a small bump will do to hold a vehicle back if there is no push to get it started.
As far as backing in and blocking traffic--wouldn't you have to cause the same blocking when you backed out if you head in first?
Have seen several Cs with the front elevated with the jacks (with/without blocks under them) and then the front wheels lowered onto other blocks to take some of the weight off the jacks.
Never having owned one of them, maybe I am off-base on the ideas...
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good point: when backing out: you're still gonna be giving folks a chance to see how well their horns work...
Back it in, and you'll have a running start, for your escape!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
I have a Vegas 25.2 and I tow a car with an Acme dolly. It came with a poly ramp and it works great. Amazon sells a car/truck polly ramp for $44.98 plus shipping but only to prime members. It is a Rhino Gear ramp. Model 11912ABMI. Weight 21.5 pounds. Dimensions 36.5 inches long x 13.2 inches wide x 11.2 inches high. The two ramp set is rated at 16,000 lb. They also sell several that are only seven or eight inches high. I have never had a problem with mine but I only load a car. There is a possibility of it sliding when you drive on it if on a gravel surface. They are easy to carry and they stack.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
My driveway requires quite a lift as well. I don't level it often in the drive unless I need to extend the slides. I have done it 2 different ways, both of which raise the rear.

First, when I need to level for a length of time I drive up onto ramps I have made from 2x12's I have screwed together. They are of different lengths and I can unscrew them to stack the boards where I keep them in the garage.

Secondly, I use the boards from the ramps and place under the jacks to give me more lift. I chock the front wheels and use the levelers. This lifts the rear completely off the ground. I only use this method when I need to extend the slides and only for a short period of time.
I like this idea. My driveway has a slight a grade. I do have an automatic leveling system which may work just fine. I don’t know yet as we haven’t taken possession of rig yet. I plan on backing in. If I end up with building my own, I would prolly use 2x10 for front wheels.

JJ
FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Let us know what you need to build: Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote