Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Bob,

Given the obvious disappointment with our RV, I couldn't wait to get back into my beloved tent this morning. Sending picture at your request, but I may have gain a few pounds thinking I was going to move into RV.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ni36GTFskVkgo/giphy.gif
So you walked from this transaction. Looks like a smart move. Tell us what the final sales price of this 2019 Windsport was going to be? We just went to the CA RV Show at the CA Speedway in Fontana. I had to sadly chuckle when I saw exterior pieces of a brand new Thor Miramar had fallen off. Paying a chunk of money for just overall poor quality and poor quality control is just plain sad. We saw other models where the interior doors had fallen off completely and were just laying against a cabinet. I just don't get the quality control apathy.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #22

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
It is unbelievable that they would not address your completely reasonable list of items! We didn't have as many but similar issues which were all fixed before we took delivery or as a written "Due Bill" for the dealer to fix once required parts were delivered.
We have had multiple new trailer/RV purchases (CW in Valentin CA, Mike Thompson in Cotlon CA) and have never had issues with both negotiating the best price and all required repairs as part of the purchase.
Best of luck to you and stick to your guns!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
So you walked from this transaction. Looks like a smart move. Tell us what the final sales price of this 2019 Windsport was going to be? We just went to the CA RV Show at the CA Speedway in Fontana. I had to sadly chuckle when I saw exterior pieces of a brand new Thor Miramar had fallen off. Paying a chunk of money for just overall poor quality and poor quality control is just plain sad. We saw other models where the interior doors had fallen off completely and were just laying against a cabinet. I just don't get the quality control apathy.
Yes, you could say I walked. At the time I was thinking I was just refusing to sign until they agreed to add the items I listed to be be repaired as part of the written sales agreement to be executed at time of delivery. I was thinking they the Sales Manager and Make Ready Technician would walk the coach like the Salesman had previously done and say " yes I see the issues, we will take care of". Instead later that night we got an email from them saying they could not repair all of the items. They did not say what they could repair or wouldn't repair.

Based on what I have learned from other RV owners, I am not buying that specific coach now. Even if they were to say we will repair now. For that reason I don't want to identify dealership. If the list was shorter or not as many critical defects the deposit risk would not have been as great. But for this coach, I now know they had no intentions of repairing everything. I would have had to accept coach as they delivered it, or forfeit the deposit.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps is was a different dealer that you really need: not necessarily a different coach!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #25

THOR #3483
Quote:
Yes, you could say I walked. At the time I was thinking I was just refusing to sign until they agreed to add the items I listed to be be repaired as part of the written sales agreement to be executed at time of delivery. I was thinking they the Sales Manager and Make Ready Technician would walk the coach like the Salesman had previously done and say " yes I see the issues, we will take care of". Instead later that night we got an email from them saying they could not repair all of the items. They did not say what they could repair or wouldn't repair.

Based on what I have learned from other RV owners, I am not buying that specific coach now. Even if they were to say we will repair now. For that reason I don't want to identify dealership. If the list was shorter or not as many critical defects the deposit risk would not have been as great. But for this coach, I now know they had no intentions of repairing everything. I would have had to accept coach as they delivered it, or forfeit the deposit.
I was asking about the final sales price they offered so that perhaps we could help steer you to other models around the price range. The identification of the dealership issue means nothing to me because I won't ever be buying in TX (or probably anywhere else for that matter). I am more and more convinced that yes, all of these rigs have some kind and number of problems for the owner but some are just ridiculous. I look at the issue akin to a good home have "good bones" as they say. Little things can be touched up and fixed but when the overall result is bad, its just lousy. Construction, exterior paint instead of just gelcoat, cleaner wiring, non-leaky plumbing, etc., these things are a must to me.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps is was a different dealer that you really need: not necessarily a different coach!
That was my thought too.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think you are right here. I think I got caught up with having great relationship with my salesman, but the salesman is powerless to the company with the structures with Dealership management. There is old saying 3 strikes and you are out.

I will try some other dealers and look at some other coaches. As much as I like this Thor Forum, I will look harder at other mfg's. I have already discussed with one dealer that reviewed my entire punch list and he assured me they would fix all of those items for a brand new unit with no link to non-refundable deposit.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #28

Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
State: Idaho
THOR #15730
Was refreshing to read your story and so glad you were prepared with a check list inspection and upon finding many issues wanted the items repaired and in writing that it would be done. Good for you! I know that you will find a coach that meets your needs and you will not be taken for a ride! ( no pun intended). Stick to your guns and demands like you did and you will prevail. Keep us posted!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #29

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
Quality control starts at Thor and the coaches should never be shipped or accepted by the dealer in such poor condition, sounds like the factory pays their workers a poor wage and the quality of their work shows, all my interior cabinets started falling apart after the first year and after talking to the dealer I was told the interiors have already changed and you will not get a match of the materials and you will not like the end result if we have to change out some of the cabinets, he talked me out of ever going back to them for anything, I have my own little wood/cabinet shop so after the first year I gutted my 2017 Thor Axis 25.4 and built all new cabinets, they use a lot of staples and screws and cheap plastic wood grain finish plywood, I threw everything away and started from scratch, I made some changes an now I feel comfortable knowing something will not fall apart after going over a rough road, in the process I was shocked by all the loose screw and small parts left on the floor behind everything, all those little rattles are now gone, When shopping for a new RV try to do it in the middle of the winter, very few people do this but the dealers need to turn over inventory to be able to stay in business, you may not get the best selection during the winter but you can save thousands of dollars, look at their price on line and compare to dealers in the southern states for the same unit, then go in a give them an offer you might think will be something they would never consider, they will try to counter your offer but you counter theirs, once they know you are a serious buyer they will not want to let you go, RV season usually starts in March for most, good luck
Old 10-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
We just purchased a new 2019 Hurricane 34J and we have found several defects on the pre acceptance walk through. Gander Rv is working to fix them. We will see how well they complete our request.
Most dealers are all yes yes yes we will fix everything until it comes down to brass tacks.
I called Thor Customer Service and was not very impressed with the Company service I did Not get. I had previously purchased a keystone Bullet Premier and it came with a very nice list of all the installed appliances pumps water heater furnace stove awning and anything that had a serial number on it was on the list.
I called Thor customer service and they advised me they cannot give out that information. I advised him Keystone gave me the information and he became indignant and snapped at me and said Keystone is a separate company. I advised him Thor owns keystone and he argued with me. Advised me to contact my dealer and get it there.
Very piss poor customer service.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #31

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I tried to get a color code of my 2017 Thor Axis to be able to paint some vents I installed for my inverter, dealer was zero help so I contacted Thors customer service and gave the guy my Vin number and he said we do not use color codes as the finish is not painted but a gel coat finish, I said yes I understand that but you guys have mishaps at the factory and have to touch up the finish on occasion so I can only guess its painted and buffed to blend in the color, he said they do not have mishaps and they do not use color codes, so I said well the rear bumper is not a gel coat but its painted so how do you spec out a paint color, he put me on hold and came back and said again we do not use color codes, so now I am fed up with this dumb ass and I ask to speak to his supervisor and he said no that is not possible, then I asked him his name and he refused to give it, at that point I used some x rated language on him and he hung up on me, I removed one of the outside cabinet doors and visited several paint shops in town for automotive paint and one business had a scanner and was able to scan to to make up a code to mix up a pint of good automotive paint, I am sure some one at Thor is reading all of these posts and I bet there are a few ears burning on their end
Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #32

THOR #16584
Welcome to owning a Thor! Lol we have taken ours out twice (after a thorough review) and have already spent over $3,000 out of pocket on fixes....
Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 AM   #33
P&J

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Mississippi
THOR #15570
Yep

It's a shame.... it makes you wonder who is running the show now days? Again, it's all about the money, greed, YEP. Would you work for any company paying just above minimum wage to there production line workers, that are forced to either do it there way or the highway ???? Yep. Why can't Americans build quality products anymore? Money/Greed again.
It's time for change or keep buying old stuff that is still trustworthy. I've got 2016 THOR Windsport.
Oh, did I tell you I'm pissed as all HELL as well.
Ps, don't buy from CW.........
Me
Old 10-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Quality control starts at Thor and the coaches should never be shipped or accepted by the dealer in such poor condition, sounds like the factory pays their workers a poor wage and the quality of their work shows, all my interior cabinets started falling apart after the first year and after talking to the dealer I was told the interiors have already changed and you will not get a match of the materials and you will not like the end result if we have to change out some of the cabinets, he talked me out of ever going back to them for anything, I have my own little wood/cabinet shop so after the first year I gutted my 2017 Thor Axis 25.4 and built all new cabinets, they use a lot of staples and screws and cheap plastic wood grain finish plywood, I threw everything away and started from scratch, I made some changes an now I feel comfortable knowing something will not fall apart after going over a rough road, in the process I was shocked by all the loose screw and small parts left on the floor behind everything, all those little rattles are now gone, When shopping for a new RV try to do it in the middle of the winter, very few people do this but the dealers need to turn over inventory to be able to stay in business, you may not get the best selection during the winter but you can save thousands of dollars, look at their price on line and compare to dealers in the southern states for the same unit, then go in a give them an offer you might think will be something they would never consider, they will try to counter your offer but you counter theirs, once they know you are a serious buyer they will not want to let you go, RV season usually starts in March for most, good luck

I was told of some conference or something in Indiana where Thor acknowledged quality issues with coaches built over last couple of years. They got some new Quality guru in to try to change the culture? If that is true, it is problematic as I am looking at 2019s.

I am going to go back a look at Winnebagos again. Don't know if I will be allowed to use the site if I buy Winnebago, but I wish to enjoy my RV and not have to complain about the mfg. There are some good Thor units, I have seen them. Unfortunately the dealers know the good ones too. I am learning they hold the line on the pricing for those; and the ones that fall that seem to be good prices are at a good price for reason.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #35

Model: Four Winds 24DL
State: Arizona
THOR #13075
Quote:
They acknowledged they had more than year, it had about 1200 miles, short something broken / missing like the pantry door, refrigerator trim, vent fan knobs and screens, the rest is just poor workmanship.

Several months back I was reading a thread on this site where a number were talking about the poor quality of brand new coaches from Thor. They were concluding that in hindsight it is best to buy a used coach. I couldn't help but jump in to ask if the quality is so bad with the new... why on earth would you want to buy the same thing used? I am thinking it is worse...? I am beginning to see their logic now. Somebody will ultimately buy this coach. Whatever the dealer does not fix, they will fix themselves over time. If they wish to sell in a year or two, the next buyer saves on the depreciation and get the RV with headache issues resolved, and possibly a few significant mods.

My wife and I work and I don't mind doing a few things, but don't have a lot of free time. I don't want to have a brand new coach that does not look brand new if that makes any sense. I have an 11 year old SUV, that some still ask me is this brand new when they get in it. I know what they are saying and it is the ultimate compliment.

What is really frustrating and why it has taken us so long; I can't simply say, I will go to Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, Winnebago etc and just pay more money to get better quality. To my knowledge what we seek I have not seen elsewhere? The Baysport Sport is the closest for about $20k more, but I lose the 2nd AC, outside TV, and number of other features and toys like firefly controller. I do gain full body paint and the obvious quality on the inside.

For reference coach we seek is preferred to have the following:
-Less than 30' 4"
-2 ACs 5kw
-Electronic Controller i.e Firefly or similar
-Sofa
-Dropdown bunk
-Outside TV. Kitchen outside is plus not a must
-I will consider used but nothing older than 2018 (short the immaculate exception)
Buy a Winnebago and be done...JMTCW
Old 10-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #36

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
We've been fulltime in our 2019 Thor Challenger for 14 months,4300 miles, a few small problems Thor customer service has walked me through the fix and sent me parts when needed. If you think Winnebago is what you want then by one and good luck. Our floor plan is perfect for us and plenty of storage, and we're more than satisfied with Thor, they've been a lot better than the last car dealership and manufacturer we had.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"...I am going to go back a look at Winnebagos again. Don't know if I will be allowed to use the site if I buy Winnebago,..."

If you buy a 'Bago: you're still welcome here!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #38

THOR #3483
I started reading the first few sentences in your post and I thought, "Sounds just like the guy I met camping in Yuma, AZ during Thanksgiving." Hi BASSMAN. Good to hear from you again. Good advice for this OP.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #39

THOR #3483
NO offense meant here, but, car dealerships-RV-dealerships-realtors..... all have the same thing in common. Sell it and forget it.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:33 AM   #40

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
With many years in sales I am unable to understand RV sales can present a RV for sale with flaws like molding missing, wires hanging down and broken pieces that could be fixed in a few minutes. when asked the sale rep answer is they will fix that. Is it not easier to fix it first so it will sale