Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Thumbs up First Cruise

I got my new Vegas 25.2 about a month and a half ago. I spent weeks provisioning and planning. Now I am half way through my vacation with a week to go. I spent the first 4 days in the foothills of Central California camping with friends on a private ranch. It was a dry campground and my first chance to actually live in the motorhome. The next three days were spent on the beach in Cardiff by the Sea. The San Elijo Campgrounds are on a high bluff right on the Pacific. It was a dry campground and first time I used a pumping station. Following that I spent three days camping in the Cleveland National Forrest (Mt Laguna). Again a dry campground. It was a beautiful meadow and almost empty being mid-week and after Labor Day. Currently, I am at a friends house in the high desert off of Hwy 15 in Hesperia. He has a full hookup spot and is an amazing mechanic. He spent the day helping me fix some issues that cropped up on the first voyage.

The ceiling vent in the bathroom is entirely different from the front and back ones. It is cheap and have plastic hinges. A bird must have landed on mine while it was open and cracked the plastic hinge. I had it taped shut. But the winds while driving here from Mt Laguna must have ripped the tape. So today we replaced it with a vent that has a metal hinge, like the other two.

The windshield wipers were not adjusted correctly. They would hit each other on the return swing. This was very rough during the rain in California last week. I would turn them on for one or two sweeps before stopping for as long as possible. It turns out that you need a wheel puller to get them off and adjust them. Luckily my friend had a wheel puller and we adjusted the wipers.

I also had to replace one of those orange side lights that I managed to smash on a wooden bullard at the beach campgrounds.

So, all in all, the Thor has handled admirably. I am happy that I added the anti-sway bars. I didn't get that motion that other owners have complained about. Also the black water tank Tornado was superb at cleaning the black water tank.

The trip continues with a visit with some friends in the western Sierras followed by a full hookup end of week at Silver Lake Resort. Toga Pass, here I come.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I would suggest putting Maxxair covers over all your vents. They allow you to keep the vents open while RV is not in use, allow vents to be open while traveling and also protect them from the UV damage that will occur to vents without this protection.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
gbrown - your trip sounds wonderful (minus the repair issues!). and I hope you have a marvelous time on the rest of your journey. I have noted some of your camping spots for future reference!

It seems Tioga got some snow this past week, so you should be in for some gorgeous scenery! Not sure if there will be enough snow to close the pass before Thanksgiving. Is the Silver Lake Resort you mentioned the one on Highway 88? Love that area and miss it. We used to have a cabin in Pioneer.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #4

THOR #2271
The trip from the high desert to the western Sierras was uneventful. I have lots of memories of the Tehachapi Pass. I had a girlfriend in China Lake in college and have visited the Tehachapi Loop. If you have never seen it, it is worth a stop. There is a railroad loop and the engine will actually loop over the following train. Awsome to see.

I spent a few days in Auberry with friends and spent one day in the Giant Redwoods and Shaver Lake.

This morning I traveled through Yosemite National Park. The valley, Tioga Pass and Tuolome Meadows are magical. If you have never taken that pass from the west side to the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, you are missing one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I am now in an area known as June Lake Loop at a campground called Silver Lake Resort. Full hookups for the first time on the trip (no cable). They also have a really top class cafe. Tomorrow I plan to buy a fishing license and throw out some Velveeta on a hook :-)

The only issue I have with the rig on this leg is the black and grey water disposal. I have to crawl under the coach and remove the large plastic hole cover. Then I have to remove the drain cover so I can rotate it so that I can connect the hose below the vehicle. Kinda a silly arrangement and prone to errors. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:06 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown
I have to crawl under the coach and remove the large plastic hole cover. Then I have to remove the drain cover so I can rotate it so that I can connect the hose below the vehicle. Kinda a silly arrangement and prone to errors. Any ideas?
Why do you have to crawl under to remove the plastic hole cover? did they install the cover upside-down? On ours I just reach into the compartment and unscrew the cover. Our drain is never covered, just use the hole cover.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 AM   #6

THOR #2271
May be the difference between the 24.1 and the 25.2. I will try to screw in the hole cover from the top. Good idea!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:11 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
By now you surely have figured out that someone, probably at the dealer before delivery, decided that the cover mentioned should be screwed from the bottom instead of the top. Aren't you glad you asked the forum?

Thanks for sharing about your trip. Any photos to share?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2942
Your trip sounds wonderful!
Thanks for the tips about the windshield wipers and also the bathroom vent. We just got a Vegas 24.1, so we will check those items out.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #9

THOR #2271
Due to storms in the eastern Sierras, I came home early. I had spent Thursday inside the RV reading, watching DVDs, and writing postcards. Another day of that would have driven me crazy. BTW, I highly recommend Silver Lake Resort on the June Lake Loop near Lee Vining on CA Hwy 395. The cafe in the store has the best breakfast ever. Albeit they should have a cardiovascular unit next door.

I decided to drive the long way around going home. I went north on 395 to Reno and then west on 80 to the Bay Area. The drive over Donner Pass and down to Sacramento was an easy drive and worth all the views.

The trip was great. I got to know my RV. It handled well with the anti-sway bars on the rear. The only time I needed to fight it was when a truck cut in front of me at speed. The buffeting was intense until I could slow down enough to get clear of the truck's air. It was only a couple of seconds. But it wasn't fun.

JamieGeek - thanks for the hint about the cover, Makes life easier.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

THOR #2271
I just computed my milage. 9.35 mpg for most of the trip. 8.83 mpg when the long haul over the Sierras on Yoga Pass is included.