Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2018, 02:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #13141
Flaking vinyl seats

I have a 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2 and the vinyl on the sofas and captain chairs are beginning to flake. Is anyone else with a Thor having this problem is there anything that could be done?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #2

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #13049
Having the same problem

I have a 2015 Axis 24.1 and have the same flaking problem with the sofa. I've been full-timing in it since May of this year and figured it wasn't built for constant use. But I am surprised that the fabric didn't last very long.

Planned to have the sofa replaced with theater seating anyway, so I just covered the sofa with a slip-cover and will use it until I can get it replaced.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Rooms-To-Go had the same serious problems with the latest, greatest type coverings also...so much so that they discontinued use of that material. Lots of names for it (Pleather, Bonded Leather, etc.). It's a technology (stretch) of using a blend of vinyl and shredded leather to make it. It was suppose to look and wear like leather...right. Best bet is to just bite the bullet and replace it with real leather of real vinyl. You can't polish a turd. It's horrible material and repairing is impossible.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site Motoko.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
ours has done the same - driver and passenger seats get 'flakes' all over you if you've sat in them for a while, and the jack knife sofa and booth seats all are flaking as well... have been for well over two years or more.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
It's a well known fact that mfg. build these things as cheap as possible. Just like cars, they look good on the lot but 5 years later a much different story. Hate to be "Debbie Downer" here but that is just a fact, build it cheap a let the few that fail get fixed after the warranty expires. Done it my whole life...
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Sad part is...Thor will not help. It's one of those items covered by the manufacturer's warranty...which blew out the window long ago...when the window blew out. Lots of class action suits against RTG but no court would stand up for them. I'm sure if Thor knew these were going to be such a problem they would have gone a different direction (we're assuming logic here). It was a period specific problem for just a few years. Does anyone have a newer than 2016 unit that has these issues?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #8

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Our 2012 SOB had the problem. The manufacture set up a procedure to take care of it.
Take pictures including the manufacture tag (so they would know your color) then send them to a specific customer service manager.
A few weeks later UPS delivers new covers.
Pay a few hundred $'s or replace them yourself.

We traded for the Citation a couple of weeks before we got the covers, but had made it part of the deal. Our new dealer was very pleased to have them.

Contact Thor, not your dealer including this thread and any other info you can find.
Here's a google search to get you started.

https://www.google.com/search?lr=&as...w=1366&bih=651
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
ours is looking really bad now...
saddest part is that we went out of our way to get this upholstery option over fabric. DW thought it would clean up better...kids, spills, etc... well I guess it did for a while

I've been looking for a replacement sofa or futon. Have just about decided to zip the covers off and take them to an upholstery shop to copy. Not sure about the cab seats yet...maybe find a decent cover but I can't imagine a good fit.

Then my dread will turn to the matching trim on the dinette, which is sure to fail eventually
Old 09-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #10

THOR #13141
I have called Thor both their local rep at Lazydays and their customer service number no help on either call and I don’t know what I’m doing next. Thanks to all who have replied. I will update as I find something out
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #11

THOR #11130
your coach is 5 years old. The only company that might shed mercy on you is the furniture manufacturer...if they are still in business. I wouldn't lose much sleep on this one.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #12

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Wow, what a mess! Ours haven't started flaking...YET! But, both cab seats have scratched and peeled in couple of places. I mentioned in another thread that the "interior protection plan"(whatever it's called) actually paid us $600 for the issues on the seats. I wish there was a way to get this stuff replaced BEFORE it goes to Heck!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 AM   #13

THOR #11130
Scratch and peel it in a few spots...make it worth your time and investment. Pay the up-charge for leather.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
your coach is 5 years old. The only company that might shed mercy on you is the furniture manufacturer...if they are still in business. I wouldn't lose much sleep on this one.
I found the name on a tag and called the company that made my sofa. It was a while back and I've forgotten the name of it

anyway, had a good conversation with someone there. At that time she said they were still making that "pattern" but I'd have to buy through Thor...through a dealer. they couldn't sell direct and couldn't make me a new cover in a different fabric. Sounded like they knew well that this stuff was no good, but were only using what Thor spec'd. We talked about how their fabric upholstery is basically the same stuff used in regular furniture and should last a lot longer.

Oh well...
Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #15

THOR #11130
It was...they thought...see Post #3. It turned out to bite them in the b-hind. Good reason "Pleather" isn't being made anymore! Just like Shell Pest Strips or Carter's Little Liver Pills...gone!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #16
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
... It was a period specific problem for just a few years. Does anyone have a newer than 2016 unit that has these issues?
Well... my 2014 just started showing signs of this in last month or so - mostly the dinette, some on the couch and drivers seat...

Not sure if a 2016 not showing it means the problem was fixed - or just hasn't been long enough... They had to make it last through the warranty at least... lol

Was thinking about replacing the couch with recliners - but really wasn't planning on doing anything with the 'U' shaped dinette...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #17

Model: ACE
THOR #4293
2012 Ace now all upholstery flaking. Not sure what to do.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #12995
Hi everyone, do you know what years are affected as far as the flaking or peeling in the seating? Also is there a way to tell if it's pleather or actual leather?
Old 10-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #19

Model: Tuscany 42HQ
State: Ontario
THOR #7504
2015 Flaking

We have a 2015 Thor Tuscany, and couch and captains chairs are all flaking. Ordered new furniture from Bradd & Hall to be installed on our pilgrimage south this fall.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #20

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisdrake View Post
Hi everyone, do you know what years are affected as far as the flaking or peeling in the seating? Also is there a way to tell if it's pleather or actual leather?
Unless it’s a really high end coach, it’s the fake stuff. Leather has a distinct smell. I believe, if it was real leather, you would know it.