Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
Question Flush Black Water Tank Vegas24.1

Has anyone with a Vegas or Axis flushed out black water tank with fresh water? I drained my tanks at the last campground and made sure each were empty, now several weeks later RV in storage I check tank levels and black reads 2/3's full. I think I must have deposits lining the wall causing the improper reading.

Has anyone flushed or washed out black water tank? I don't have a water hookup directly to black water tank to flush. I was think of using a special wand and garden hose directly thru the toilet opening to flush out. I could fill the gray water tank and open both the gray and black gate valves and have all the gray water run into the black water tank then close gray and drain black. This could contaminate the gray water tank.

Any ideas? should I be concerned?

Angelo and Diane

Old 11-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I try to fill and flush a couple of times after each trip. I do it at the last place we are at with full hook ups. I've been filling the black tank by letting the water run in the bathroom sink. It works, but it is slow. I fill and drain a couple of times until the effluent is reasonably clear.

I have a Valterra flush fitting that I will install before our first trip next spring.

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have the tornado flusher and even with that I'll still get the tank reading 2/3 when I know its empty. Usually takes 10-15 minutes flushing before I can get a good reading again.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

THOR #2898
Thank you, jamiegeek and groswald, I'll try doing a more thorough job before I unhook next time.

Question, do you always dump tanks if possible at each location or is it acceptable to move to next location with small amount of waste. Not an expert yet, only out three times since purchase.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
When traveling, I dump each morning before leaving the CG or every time there is an opportunity. Like Randy mentioned, I fill the black tank nearly full before dumping also and do a bottom rinse.

Bottom rinse(aka back flushing) goes something like this; after dumping blk. tank, 1. leave the blk tank valve open, 2. raise the dump hose up a couple of feet above the dump outlet with your right arm, 3. with your left hand, open the grey valve and let a good bit of water into the blk. tank...........assuming your have grey water, 4. close the grey valve, 5. let hose down to drain blk. tank. Repeat as needed.

After a trip, dump the tanks, fill the black tank up to the toilet inlet, eyeballing thru the toilet, with soapy water. I use dish detergent or whatever is on hand, though nothing with bleach in it. I let it soak for a few days then dump and rinse a couple of times. Seems to keep things working fine.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #6

THOR #2898
Thanks mcr1010, great idea! Like the back washing and detergent wash.

Angelo & Diane
Old 11-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

THOR #1249
Forgot to add #6. After the final draining of the blk. tank, raise the hose one more time as if to back flush again. This time leave enough grey water in the blk. tank to cover the bottom-prevents the dreaded pyramids (same principle as toilet having standing water-it is some kind of solid-suspension thing ). Close the blk. tank valve while the grey water is back flushing, drop the hose and finish draining the grey tank.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

THOR #2898
Thank you for adding #6!

So you drive home with a small amount of gray water in the black water tank (washes during drive) then you add detergent fill tank and let stand few days and drain.

Do you dump at your nearest CW or do you have a drain at home?
Old 11-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Hmm: I always leave about 2-3 gallons of water + chemical in the black tank--that way its always ready for use (even in the winter its 2-3 gallons of water + chemical + about a gallon of red antifreeze that has been dumped down the sink/toilet). Been doing this for 16 years without an issue.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

THOR #1249
Yes, I try keep a small amount soapy water in the blk. tank at the start of the day when traveling to slosh around. That is the standard for keeping the blk. tank operating in good order. Or at least keep some plain water in there. When I can remember, I will also pour some liquid detergent in bottom of the toilet and work it a couple of times and then rinse before before leaving the CG. Seems to keep the seals a little cleaner. I would guess the grey water has some soap in it also.

The lot where I park the Vegas is about 1.5 miles away and has a dump station with rinse hose, so it makes it convenient to dump, soak and rinse etc..
Old 11-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #11

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Forgot to mention...

I read somewhere about using Cascade dishwasher "pods" in the black tank to help keep it clean. I always put 3-5 gallons of clear water into the black tank (running the bathroom sink) after I dump, whether flushing it or not. Then I toss a pod or two down the black hole.

I don't know if it really helps, but so far no issues. I get them in bulk at Costco.

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Forgot to mention...

I read somewhere about using Cascade dishwasher "pods" in the black tank to help keep it clean. I always put 3-5 gallons of clear water into the black tank (running the bathroom sink) after I dump, whether flushing it or not. Then I toss a pod or two down the black hole.

I don't know if it really helps, but so far no issues. I get them in bulk at Costco.

Regards,

Randy
Had an RV technician tell me that one of the most common problems for tank sensors were un-dissolved "self dissolving" pods that are used for black tank chemicals.

Was he right or wrong, I don't know but he didn't try to sell me anything.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
An old trick. Put ice in the toilet for the drive home. It loosens leftovers and turns into water to drain.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown
An old trick. Put ice in the toilet for the drive home. It loosens leftovers and turns into water to drain.
Have you watched this video about ice cubes:
Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #15

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Which is exactly why I have the Tornado :-)
Old 01-21-2016, 05:22 AM   #16

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
shower drain

what tank does the shower drain into black or gray? i thought the black tank was for the toilet only on motorhomes...
my coach is a 2016 Vegas 25.2..
Old 01-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson0231 View Post
what tank does the shower drain into black or gray? i thought the black tank was for the toilet only on motorhomes...
my coach is a 2016 Vegas 25.2..
If you have not done so you may want to contact Thor customer service and ask for the fresh and waste water diagrams. Those will show you how the coach is plumbed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
On most Axis/Vegas units (at least I know for certain on the 24.1) the shower drains into the grey and the bathroom sink drains into the black.