Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
bug cleanup

Hi,

Whenever I get back from a trip, I find that cleaning the bug moosh off of the front of the coach and windshield can be very time-intensive.

Do any of you have cleaning/maintenance tips to make this chore easier? For example - does waxing or other coating help? any great products out there to be aware of?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Water and a used drier sheet.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #3

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
The more wax you have on there the better as it is a smoother surface.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I usually travel the Midwest during grasshopper and green bug seasons

They are very difficult and I have never found any of the miracle products that work without about the same amount of effort

The special bug sponges help as do a few of the cleaners but none work without some serious scrubbing

Starting off with a clean polished surface with wax and protectant of some type certainly helps

Some of the enzyme based products seem to work better than most of the big box items

Wet and scrub and repeat is all I have ever found to work on the splattered ones that have baked on for most of a day in hot dry windy conditions
Old 07-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I use bug and tar spray and a dish scrubber. Squirt the stuff on the bug spots and let it sit for a couple minutes. Rub the scrubber over the spot. Repeat if neccessary. Then I wash the coach with with a wash/wax concentrate.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:14 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Our Aria came with the 3M clear shield. It makes for cleaning without scratching the paint. Still have to power wash, soak and scrub. We use the 3M Scothbrite scrubbers.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
For glass surfaces I previously used Rain-X and bugs would easily come off. For painted surfaces a good wax helps. If possible clean the surfaces during the trip to prevent excessive buildup and bugs from getting too dry and set. When you get home, if possible aim a sprinkler at the front for a couple hours of more to start the softening. But pre-trip prep of wax is the best starting point.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #8

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
We were covered with bugs this summer. I was dreading the cleaning chore. But then we went through a day of very heavy rain driving at 60 mph. Amazing. Probably 99% of the carcasses were washed away. (But we covered the rig again with bugs on the way home. Spent a couple of days washing them off. Doubt I got them all off. But most. Next time, I may wait for a good rain. Then go for a couple hours drive.)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #9

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
For glass surfaces I previously used Rain-X and bugs would easily come off. For painted surfaces a good wax helps. If possible clean the surfaces during the trip to prevent excessive buildup and bugs from getting too dry and set. When you get home, if possible aim a sprinkler at the front for a couple hours of more to start the softening. But pre-trip prep of wax is the best starting point.
I use Rain X as well, paste first, and tough up with the spray

Wax for sure and I usually use spray wax between the full body wax

Both certainly do help, otherwise across Western KS and Eastern CO during hopper season is miserable
Old 07-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
No more wax for me....... I use Turtle Wax Ceramic Car Wash and Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating. If I sit my cell phone on the hood, it will slide right off.

Then I take my extension brush and spray a little Bugs-n-All on it and work it into the bugs on the front cap. Then a good blast of water and and a regular wash with the Ceramic Car Wash Soap and they come right off.

I also use windshied washer bug cleaning fluid and some Rain-X in it.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 22E
State: Kansas
THOR #5348
If you can find a truck wash that has a bug removing setting, those seem to work great. I tried one for the first time not long ago, it was unbelievable how well it worked.

And I only use it for the bug-covered front so it's not as expensive as washing the whole rig...
Old 08-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20592
303 speed detailer

303 Marine/Recreational Speed Detailer applied after bug removal, and the bugs come off very quickly the next time.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Bugs-N-All dissolves them away. It is am emzine product that really works.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #14

THOR #21620
Lots of bugs in east Texas

Dryer sheets like Bounce will desolve the bugs and not hurt the finish. I been using these on rv and cars for over 20 years.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #15

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Many people on IRV2 claim that hydrogen peroxide will immediately dissolve those bugs.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #16

Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
THOR #7004
Chemical Guy’s bug and tar remover. Great stuff. Once all removed and cleaned place a coat of there Butter Wax
Old 08-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by vealessi View Post
Hi,

Whenever I get back from a trip, I find that cleaning the bug moosh off of the front of the coach and windshield can be very time-intensive.

Do any of you have cleaning/maintenance tips to make this chore easier? For example - does waxing or other coating help? any great products out there to be aware of?

Thanks!
I friend of mine just a couple hours ago told me he got some BUG-BE-GONE at a local auto parts store. He said it worked great. I'm gonna get some and see. Elbow grease is what I used a while ago and I ran out of grease---LOL Bob Trice
Old 08-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #1205
Bug cleanup

I just started using Clorox Clean-up to remove the black streaks on the sides of the RV and thought I would try it to clean the windshield. Well, it worked great. Removed all the bug splatter completely without hard scrubbing. I just used a regular glass cleaner to re move the water spots.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #19

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by njwandrr View Post
I just started using Clorox Clean-up to remove the black streaks on the sides of the RV and thought I would try it to clean the windshield. Well, it worked great. Removed all the bug splatter completely without hard scrubbing. I just used a regular glass cleaner to re move the water spots.
Be extremely careful when using an oxidizer on painted surfaces. You make body and paint men pay attention right away.

I am going to try a couple of recommended products but so far nothing I have found takes off grasshoppers easily
Old 08-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Wow lots of ideas and opinions, but OP said "Labor Intensive" has anyone defined what that really is?

i.e. it is given Bugs and splatter will be a part of every trip; given when you want to clean how long do you expect to take and be okay?

It takes me 15 minutes, but I never bother to remove them unless I have plenty of time (that may be the next day (morning) after arriving at a Campsite, or maybe a a few days after I get home.

In my case the come off quite easily with my normal bristle brush used to wash RV.

My Prep: The RV is always heavily wax
My Process: Hose the front down with regular water with nozzle set to jet trying to get as many of the bugs off. Then I take 1 cap of the RV Wash & Wax Solution Concentrate in a bucket of water and just brush the entire front of coach starting at the cap above windshield. Takes about 10 minutes and I rinse it off and I am done.

The hard part for me may be when I am not home and I have to pull out the water hose from RV and hook it up and then roll it back it up.

Note: I have never used the Ceramic Sprays, but I have some on order to test out on my Roof, but I am sure it serves the same purpose of my Meguiar Pure RV/Marine wax if not better for Bugs. Even so, I still think it will take 15 minutes, and the effort as OP was trying to address would be the same.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axis, cleaning