Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #2749
Four Winds 34U Upholstery

Recently bought a Four Winds Hurricane 34U, love the coach BUT the bonded leather upholstery is flaking off on the couch, dinette and driver and passenger seats. I understand that this was a problem for a couple of years, they just used CHEAP material...has anyone dealt with this? How to get it reupholstered makes my stomach hurt....anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34U
State: Florida
THOR #2180
upholstery

We have a 2011 Hurricane and all of our furniture did the same thing...Wrote Thor and was told too bad, after one year your warranty is up...wrote Flexsteel and was told that Thor gave them substandard materials and it is not their problem either. Had to get everything reupholstered... over $5k.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

Model: Seranno 33A
State: Texas
THOR #2389
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins1 View Post
Recently bought a Four Winds Hurricane 34U, love the coach BUT the bonded leather upholstery is flaking off on the couch, dinette and driver and passenger seats. I understand that this was a problem for a couple of years, they just used CHEAP material...has anyone dealt with this? How to get it reupholstered makes my stomach hurt....anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingpups View Post
We have a 2011 Hurricane and all of our furniture did the same thing...Wrote Thor and was told too bad, after one year your warranty is up...wrote Flexsteel and was told that Thor gave them substandard materials and it is not their problem either. Had to get everything reupholstered... over $5k.
I have a 2011 Thor Seranno and the upholstery on ALL the furniture is literally disintegrating !!I have never seen anything like it! With only 15,000 miles on it and it being in a covered parking with special coverings to block sunlight for all the windows, I just can't believe it! If a company would opt to use a product like this on the furniture, what other cheap products have they used throughout the coach? They had to know this stuff wouldn't last. I spoke with customer service and OF COURSE they offered no solutions. It is costing me $2000 to correct THOR'S terrible, uncaring choices. I HATE this company!
Old 03-06-2022, 02:09 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #18140
I have same problem ,and need help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins1 View Post
I need help finding someone that will reupholster.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:04 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dallas_dean View Post
I have a 2011 Thor Seranno and the upholstery on ALL the furniture is literally disintegrating !!I have never seen anything like it! With only 15,000 miles on it and it being in a covered parking with special coverings to block sunlight for all the windows, I just can't believe it! If a company would opt to use a product like this on the furniture, what other cheap products have they used throughout the coach? They had to know this stuff wouldn't last. I spoke with customer service and OF COURSE they offered no solutions. It is costing me $2000 to correct THOR'S terrible, uncaring choices. I HATE this company!

It’s a very common problem on pretty much all brands of motor homes. My 2019 Newmar started shredding within its first six months. If you’ve gotten 12 years out of yours you are well ahead of many of us. There’s not much you can do about it except get it reupholstered or buy cover. It’s a genuine pity they are built this way, but that’s the way it is.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
It’s a very common problem on pretty much all brands of motor homes. My 2019 Newmar started shredding within its first six months. If you’ve gotten 12 years out of yours you are well ahead of many of us. There’s not much you can do about it except get it reupholstered or buy cover. It’s a genuine pity they are built this way, but that’s the way it is.
Your right on this one

Pleather or Ultra Leather is either good or bad it seems. Thor don't provide it as some one noted. This has been an issue for all RV's that used Ultra Leather.

Luckily we have been lucky and got a good batch that still looks like new 6 years later. I do treat mine just like I do all the real leather in the house and in the vehicles. 303 works well and is cheaper than leather conditioner and it will prolong the life but not after the flaking has already started.

There are some vinyl reconditioning products that seem to slow it down but nothing is going to fix it except new vinyl.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:18 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I found some Ford OEM vinyl covers that fit the cab seats perfectly. On ebay someone gets them from the RV and van factories in IN. They take off the Ford stuff to put their garbage stuff on!
Reasonably cheap and not too hard of a DYI... had to buy some hog ring pliers, and learn some basic upholstery techniques from youtube, but an easy enough project.

We replaced the sofa with something my wife found online. I'm not very happy with it. I kept the old sofa in the garage in case we never find anything better, then we can have it professionally recovered

Fo the matching vinyl trim on the dinette we took them to an upholstery shop