Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 11:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #7316
Fourwinds 28Z

I'd like to start a thread for owners of the 28Z so we can share the good and the bad on this model. I'll start:

Picked up my new 2017 28Z and immediately took it out on the road. After setting up we had some cavitation in the water pump but that seems to have subsided. One problem we did have as the Battery Disconnect (BD) Relay wasn't working properly when we stored the RV.

I contacted Thor who was more than helpful and willing to ship me a new BD Relay and a switch for the panel in the entry way. Installed the new switch with negative results. Moved on to tackle the BD Relay and found it under bathroom countertop below the panel. Swapped out the BD Relay and no more problems!

CPO1920

Old 05-15-2017, 12:26 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
Smile

Our 28Z is a 2015 and has had a few issues, mostly cosmetic in nature. The panels around the refrigerator came undone and bowed out.
We have built a headboard for the bed that has a dual purpose. One is the headboard that we missed because we like to read at night. The second and equally important is it blocks the sun from cooking the inside of the coach. I double insulated it and it works great.
Thinking strongly of having Bigfoot levelers installed. Just hard to justify the cost.
More as we make it ours.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 AM   #3

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
28z, me too

I also have a 28z, 2014, currently 17k miles. Initially the water heater did not work on electric as it was wired incorrectly from the factory. The A/C compressor was not engaging, thus no cold air, and again, at the factory there was a connector box on the roof that was not properly grounded at the factory and failed. Thor replaced it. Biggest and most painful problem was a leak in and around the back window over the bed. Took 6 trip over a 5 month period leaving it the last time for 2 months, for the dealer to finally, I hope, get it found and fixed. I replaced the original batteries, cause they were junk, with 2 size 27 interstates and installed them parallel.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #4

THOR #7316
Do you have a picture of the headboard, my better half might like that idea?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #5

THOR #7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
I also have a 28z, 2014, currently 17k miles. Initially the water heater did not work on electric as it was wired incorrectly from the factory. The A/C compressor was not engaging, thus no cold air, and again, at the factory there was a connector box on the roof that was not properly grounded at the factory and failed. Thor replaced it. Biggest and most painful problem was a leak in and around the back window over the bed. Took 6 trip over a 5 month period leaving it the last time for 2 months, for the dealer to finally, I hope, get it found and fixed. I replaced the original batteries, cause they were junk, with 2 size 27 interstates and installed them parallel.
Hey Gary,

Did they ever find exactly where the leak was from and how did you find it?

Rob
Old 05-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #6

THOR #7401
Eventually they determined the leak was from water filling one of the running lights above the back window. They said the fixture was filling up and running back through where the wiring comes out and then ran down the inside of the wall. I'm not sure I agree with that diagnosis. They initially replaced the back window saying the frame was slightly bent, didn't help. They ran water over the top and said they couldn't detect any leak, we took it home and first rain and yep, same leak. They placed a high pressure machine inside the coach, soaped the outside and couldn't detect a leak. Back and forth 6 times. Last time they removed the back window and I suggested using butyl tape and they did that and also found the running light problem and replaced all 5 running lights. I "think" the 1st window was bent and they improperly installed the new one but they swear it was the running light issue. I'm glad it's fixed after 5 months and 6 trips. Good thing the dealership that repaired it was only 90 miles from home
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #7

THOR #1907
Headboard picture

I'm hoping that this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170220_170505880.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	4969  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #8

THOR #7401
JRS950, silly question, maybe, but what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #9

THOR #1907
Gary,
We had 2 goals in mind for this project. One was to create a comfortable headboard that was lacking in the original configuration, we kept crushing the night shade while reading in bed. Second was to block the sun an subsequent heat transfer from the huge window. We accomplished both, since the headboard is double insulated and the night shade have been removed. Very comfortable to use at night and absolutely no heat transfer. Never understand why they put that window in the unit. Didn't open or have any purpose other than light/heat.
Thanks for the question.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #10

THOR #7401
Very well done, sit!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #11

THOR #7401
That was suppose to be Sir!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #12

THOR #1907
Thanks, it was loads of fun to create and build. Best of all it makes the coach "ours" and adds value for us.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Great to have a28z post. I have a 2013 that we bought last year, so I didn't have to deal w/ the "break in" period. Problems in the past year have been fairly minor and time based (motor on awning and slide), I had a leak in the slide "fairing" at the floor line that was remedied w/ caulk, and leaking taillights that i just fixed w/ dicor- will see how that works here long term.
The problem i have not tackled is a lack of airflow thru the heat vent that goes under shower; if anyone has had this problem and tackled it please let me know...
Old 05-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #14

THOR #1907
Our next project.

I think that either in 15 or 15 Thor switched from the TV on the wall by the entry door to over the dinette. When the made that change, they also revised the window layout. The earlier years had a 3 door horizontal cabinet above the windows. Since we don't watch TV and could always use more storage space for coffee and lightweight items, I'm going to remove the TV from over the dinette and build a 2 door vertical cabinet. It will be approximately 22" wide and 24 " tall. 3 shelves inside for Keurig coffee boxes and assorted items. As this project progresses, I'll post pictures.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #15

THOR #7401
We have the 2014 and truly like having the TV in the entrance as we would prefer the large window over the dinette. We watch almost NO tv. We would have a tough time without the storage that the overhead, horizontal, cabinet provides. Good luck on your project.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #16

THOR #7316
Looks awesome. Great job!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #17

THOR #7316
Maiden Voyage Leaks

Got the new 28Z into a campground for a few solid days. Day 2 I noticed water leaking from under the coach in the vicinity of the kitchen. Emptied out the cabinet, removed the panels to access the hoses and fittings, and low and behold the flex drain line from the sink to the drain was loose on both ends.

I went ahead and emptied everything out, tightened the fittings, ran a fan inside the area for a few hours to dry it out and then re-checked for leaks. All good for now, just happy to have caught it before it caused any real damage!

Old 10-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #18

State: Colorado
THOR #903
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Great to have a28z post. I have a 2013 that we bought last year, so I didn't have to deal w/ the "break in" period. Problems in the past year have been fairly minor and time based (motor on awning and slide), I had a leak in the slide "fairing" at the floor line that was remedied w/ caulk, and leaking taillights that i just fixed w/ dicor- will see how that works here long term.
The problem i have not tackled is a lack of airflow thru the heat vent that goes under shower; if anyone has had this problem and tackled it please let me know...
Is the vent the one in the bathroom or at the top of the stairs? I have the same model and year and have no flow from the one at the stairs. I was planning on trying to fix it in the Spring. If I find out how to get to it I will let you know. It looks like I will have to pull the toilet and floor.

Side note-What BCI Group battery (size) do you have under you steps? I think mine was replaced with the wrong size at some point. I see a previous post that has someone using a 27.

If this is the third post, I apologize. My browser kept kicking me out.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 AM   #19

State: Colorado
THOR #903
Gary,
Did you have any issues adding the second group 27 battery under the steps? Just eyeballing it and a quick check with a tape measure, it looks like a tight fit, getting the second one in.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #20

THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcostello01 View Post
Gary,
Did you have any issues adding the second group 27 battery under the steps? Just eyeballing it and a quick check with a tape measure, it looks like a tight fit, getting the second one in.
It is a very tight fit. Got em both in there, ran them parallel, of course. I was concerned about the weight of the 2 batteries on the rails that they sit down in but have gone about 12k miles and its been almost 2 years=== no problems.

Tags
28z, battery disconnect