Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
Freedom elite use/store disconnect

Hello
In my 2017 Thor freedom 30fe, the use/switch button is not bringing my house battery on. So no power at all. When check battery status panel on wall, everything dead. I cut gene on, every thing works, I plugged in my house outlet using adapter, everything works like lights, tv axera radio. I can hear the sound when I press use/store button. But seems like it is not going in use mode. Online says there might be a small button with yellow flag or battery solenoid has fuse that can go bad or can be switch itself. Can someone please help. Battery does not look bad.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfreedom View Post
Hello
In my 2017 Thor freedom 30fe, the use/switch button is not bringing my house battery on. So no power at all. When check battery status panel on wall, everything dead. I cut gene on, every thing works, I plugged in my house outlet using adapter, everything works like lights, tv axera radio. I can hear the sound when I press use/store button. But seems like it is not going in use mode. Online says there might be a small button with yellow flag or battery solenoid has fuse that can go bad or can be switch itself. Can someone please help. Battery does not look bad.

Check that main circuit breaker in the battery area.
If your batteries are good, it's possible that CB tripped.
There's also a long thread that was posted this week regarding a similar issue. You should be able to find it under recent threads. It has a lot of useful information that can only be repeated here.
Do a search for "Need Vegas Help".

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hello
You've done a good job of listing your trouble symptoms and all possible causes so not sure what help you are looking for. Time to get out the voltmeter and start troubleshooting by finding these components and tracing your battery voltage back to the battery buss/fuse panel. BTW there are usually two large fuses on your fuse panel that protect against connecting your battery in reverse - that may be your issue as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Machine View Post
Check that main circuit breaker in the battery area.
If your batteries are good, it's possible that CB tripped.
There's also a long thread that was posted this week regarding a similar issue. You should be able to find it under recent threads. It has a lot of useful information that can only be repeated here.
Do a search for "Need Vegas Help".

Good luck.
Would you know where is circuit breaker and how does it looks like.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Generally close to your batteries and looks like:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #6

THOR #14807
Quote:
Would you know where is circuit breaker and how does it looks like.

JamieGeek did a great job describing the CB in the thread "Need Vegas Help" :

"That indicates that you're not getting power from the "house" batteries--weather they are discharged or disconnected due to the breaker under the step.

You can see if they are charged by checking them with a voltmeter (unplugged from 120V and generator off).

While you're under the step there you can look for the breaker--its a little box with a red push button on it and a yellow flag. If the flag is showing the breaker is open--push the flag back in to close it."
Old 04-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #7

THOR #14612
Quote:
JamieGeek did a great job describing the CB in the thread "Need Vegas Help" :

"That indicates that you're not getting power from the "house" batteries--weather they are discharged or disconnected due to the breaker under the step.

You can see if they are charged by checking them with a voltmeter (unplugged from 120V and generator off).

While you're under the step there you can look for the breaker--its a little box with a red push button on it and a yellow flag. If the flag is showing the breaker is open--push the flag back in to close it."
I will look again for this breaker. I appreciate for picture. I looked behind my fuse box since it was easy to lift top of bed. And heard the click of solenoid every time press the button. There was fuse as well 5 amp on red wire. I pulled and looked visually and looks fine. I will now start hunting for this disconnect and see if the problem is there. And will let you know. I do want to ask one more question that will my battery stay charged if I plug in regular house outlet, which is not 30amp.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #8

THOR #14612
Quote:
I will look again for this breaker. I appreciate for picture. I looked behind my fuse box since it was easy to lift top of bed. And heard the click of solenoid every time press the button. There was fuse as well 5 amp on red wire. I pulled and looked visually and looks fine. I will now start hunting for this disconnect and see if the problem is there. And will let you know. I do want to ask one more question that will my battery stay charged if I plug in regular house outlet, which is not 30amp.
And when you say near battery, you are mentioning house batteries under steps.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:02 AM   #9

THOR #14807
Quote:
And when you say near battery, you are mentioning house batteries under steps.

Yes. House batteries, under the stairs. But, if you can hear the relay clicking, I think we've established the fact that the CB is indeed operational as it is powered by the batteries. You might want to now check your main relay to be sure it's closing its contacts.
Do you know how to do that?
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 AM   #10

THOR #14612
[QUOTE=Thor-Machine;178653]Yes. House batteries, under the stairs. But, if you can hear the relay clicking, I think we've established the fact that the CB is indeed operational as it is powered by the batteries. You might want to now check your main relay to be sure it's closing its contacts.
Do you know how to do that?[/

Thanks for replying. If you can please give some instructions i will really appreciate. If you can let me know where is located, that will help. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 AM   #11

THOR #14807
[QUOTE=Thorfreedom;178672]
Quote:
Yes. House batteries, under the stairs. But, if you can hear the relay clicking, I think we've established the fact that the CB is indeed operational as it is powered by the batteries. You might want to now check your main relay to be sure it's closing its contacts.
Do you know how to do that?[/

Thanks for replying. If you can please give some instructions i will really appreciate. If you can let me know where is located, that will help. Thanks.

The first thing you need to do is follow that clicking noise to locate the solenoid. You can identify it by the two thick red wires attached to it along with a couple smaller wires that activate the solenoid when you press the "Store/Run" switch. It's usually located under the refrigerator by the main panel box on the floor. Your location may vary. Follow the click & you'll find it.
Once you locate it, use a DC voltmeter to measure the voltage on each of the heavy red wires. In the "Store" position you should have 12 volts on one red wire & 0 volts on the other indicating the relay contacts are open & no power is flowing in the circuit. In the "Use" position you should read 12 volts on both red wires indicating the relay contacts are closed and power is flowing through the relay. When using the voltmeter, make sure your black wire is connected to a good ground point.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Massachusetts
THOR #17264
I am having the same problem and I am looking High and low for the item you pasted here.. The circuit breaker. I looked under the stairs where the batter was and all underneath the motorhome and nothing. Is it located inside the coach?
Old 03-17-2020, 01:23 AM   #13

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Stop looking. get a volt meter and start checking. In all mt 69 years I have never been able to check battery by looking at it. That goes for wiring too.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:34 AM   #14

THOR #14612
What kind of coach you have?
And what exact problem your are having.?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
What kind of coach you have?
And what exact problem your are having.?
FYI you need to use the quote button so we will know who to who you are asking the question. I'm gonna Assume it is to the post above mine (Dunny33) but don't know for sure. The quote button eliminates the guess work.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #16

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny33 View Post
I am having the same problem and I am looking High and low for the item you pasted here.. The circuit breaker. I looked under the stairs where the batter was and all underneath the motorhome and nothing. Is it located inside the coach?
In the future if you use the quote button we all will know who you are talking to.

The circuit breaker posted in this thread is within 6' of the battery If you have the same brand. You may not.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #17

THOR #17264
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
In the future if you use the quote button we all will know who you are talking to.

The circuit breaker posted in this thread is within 6' of the battery If you have the same brand. You may not.

The model is a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 30 like the original post. DO all newer models have Battery Circuit breakers? Could it be Outside or Inside?

If I plug the camper in everything works great.. I brought the batter to be tested it was good. I must have tripped a Circuit breaker besides the ones in the main panel. I can not find any circuit breaker for the battery anywhere
Old 03-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #18

THOR #15553
Quote:
The model is a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 30 like the original post. DO all newer models have Battery Circuit breakers? Could it be Outside or Inside?

If I plug the camper in everything works great.. I brought the batter to be tested it was good. I must have tripped a Circuit breaker besides the ones in the main panel. I can not find any circuit breaker for the battery anywhere
Start at the battery and follow the wiring back to battery disconnect. There should be some sort of in line resetable fuse. One like in the pictures or a smaller one with a samall rest button. Do you have power at the main Battery disconnect.

The breakers in the main panel are 120 volts. 12 volts has fuses. What exactly is the problem you are having?
Old 03-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #19

THOR #17264
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Start at the battery and follow the wiring back to battery disconnect. There should be some sort of in line resetable fuse. One like in the pictures or a smaller one with a samall rest button. Do you have power at the main Battery disconnect.

The breakers in the main panel are 120 volts. 12 volts has fuses. What exactly is the problem you are having?
The problem is that the Battery Use / Store button does nothing when the battery is installed. When on Battery power there is nothing that works even though the battery is good. I followed the line from the battery cord to Store/Use button and no circuit breaker in between.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #20

THOR #15553
Quote:
The problem is that the Battery Use / Store button does nothing when the battery is installed. When on Battery power there is nothing that works even though the battery is good. I followed the line from the battery cord to Store/Use button and no circuit breaker in between.
The store/use button goes to a solenoid not the battery. Do you have power on the solenoid?.