Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #11389
Dog Gone Cool Discovery

We purchased the Thor Outlaw class C specifically for the garage feature. Unlike most, our toys are not motorcycles or four wheelers. I haul big telescopes and my wife hauls dogs. Both of these prefer climate controlled conditions. In this warm Alabama weather, we have been driving with the generator on so that we can run the garage AC This has worked well but does have downsides.

Yesterday as we were driving, I speculated about adding an inverter to power this small AC unit, then it suddenly dawned on me .... the TV oulet in the garage runs off the inverter we already have. Could this be a simple extension cord solution???

We tested it and yes!!! The garage AC WILL run on the inverter powered by the house batteries and charged while driving. No need to run the generator and the pup stays cool in her garage kennel, safely lashed to the tie diwns.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on your find, and welcome to our Merry Band of Outlaws!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHGIII View Post
We purchased the Thor Outlaw class C specifically for the garage feature. Unlike most, our toys are not motorcycles or four wheelers. I haul big telescopes and my wife hauls dogs. Both of these prefer climate controlled conditions. In this warm Alabama weather, we have been driving with the generator on so that we can run the garage AC This has worked well but does have downsides.

Yesterday as we were driving, I speculated about adding an inverter to power this small AC unit, then it suddenly dawned on me .... the TV oulet in the garage runs off the inverter we already have. Could this be a simple extension cord solution???

We tested it and yes!!! The garage AC WILL run on the inverter powered by the house batteries and charged while driving. No need to run the generator and the pup stays cool in her garage kennel, safely lashed to the tie diwns.

This is fantastic! I own the same RV model & travel with 3 big dogs. I try to keep them cool with generator running too. But this is a much better solution!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
This is fantastic! I own the same RV model & travel with 3 big dogs. I try to keep them cool with generator running too. But this is a much better solution!

A big THANK YOU for posting thisClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2295.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	10825
Old 06-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, the inverter is capable of powering anything plugged into it, or any of it's inverted circuits, at least for a period of time that the batteries have enough capacity - while driving, your Alternator should be helping to add Charge back into the battery bank, and any Solar would as well. Of course, you can continue to run the generator while traveling, if needed for the extra boost of charging.
When you are stopped and running the generator or are plugged into shore Power, it should work it as well, as the Inverter simply then 'passes thru' the 120v power to the inverted outlets within the coach.

If you have the Magnum ME-RC remote readout panel for the Inverter, you can set the LBCO setting to 11.5 so that the batteries are not drawn down too much, then the inverter automatically shuts itself off.
You can also set your AGS(auto gen starter) setting to 11.9 or 12.0 to automatically power up the generator to RECHARGE the battery bank when they get too low, when you are not on Shore power.

Enjoy! Travel. Have Fun.. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

THOR #11389
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
A big THANK YOU for posting thisAttachment 10825
Good looking crew. My wife took our Terv on a 10 hour trek to go herding in NC. Ran the garage AC all the way there. No issues with battery drain. Of course after arrival she switched to generator power.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Depending on the size of your converter and battery bank you can run just about anything, but should you? You should check to see how many watts your inverter can put out then see how many watts your AC draws, if it’s close to the same I would exercise caution. If you have the manual for your inverter check on what it is capable of and for how long on the size of your battery bank and output of your alternator.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. My point is be cautious, don’t want to take a chance with those beautiful babies on board!!!
Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

THOR #11389
This is a very good point. Safety is always first. My wife is a vet, so wuite OCD regarding our dogs.
The garage AC is a small 5000 BTU window unit that draws about 480 watts. The inverter is twice that at 1000 watts, so there is a pretty good reserve. For safety we have a remote thermometer in the garage that we monitor while driving. Temp holds in the 72-74 range with outside temp 90+.

Of course we would only do this when we are driving and would NEVER leave a dog in the vehicle with AC on battery power.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's a 1000 watt "Entertainment" inverter.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #10

THOR #11389
She finds AC “entertaining”.
Best to keep her happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B341F90A-2FA0-4B3A-8F45-9CBAFABA1075.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	10838  
Old 06-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Does her Orthodontist get Combat Pay??
Old 10-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #12

THOR #10644
And I thought I was the only person to buy an Outlaw 37RB for my RC16 and Paramount.
Go figure!

FWIW, It's a pretty simple matter to purchase a second inverter and take the "General Outlet" feeds running from your AC Breaker box and relocate them to the new inverter. Now ALL the outlets will work whenever the 2nd inverter is on - which for me, is all the time.
Honestly, it was about a 1-hour job. Not sure about the Outlaw class C, but my class A breaker box was under the bed and not even 12 inches from the converter/charger. The battery lines running into the charger were already 1/0 gauge. So it was easy to use more 1/0 to jump over to the 2nd inverter. Get an inverter with onboard breakers and you won't even have to mess with a second AC box either ;-)

Tags
dog, garage ac, outlaw