Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #16296
Front track bar ideas please

We own a 2015 Thor ACE 29.2 v10 F53 16K bought in July 2019. Like others we have had a lot of road handling concerns. Over the last few months we have added the following: RM Steering Stabilizer, upgraded Bilstein shocks all around, front and rear Sumo Springs, front and rear anti sway bars and adjusted tire pressure along with the CHF. The ride is so much better BUT still lots of push from passing semis and wind. We purchased the Blue Ox rear Tiger Trac track bar which arrived today. We also purchased the Davis RM Tru Trac front axle track bar. Tried to install it yesterday however the track bar bracket that fits over the axle, and is held in place by the leaf spring u bolt, is too large to fit between the shock absorber bracket and the leaf spring housing. Very disappointing to say the least. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for another brand of track bar which would fit our coach and the modifications we have already added? (Secondary fit issue---IF the track bar would have fit in the space the manufacturers advise, we would not have been able to use the bottom portion of Sumo Spring since there would have been no space.)

Old 01-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Have you looked at Ford? Granted, it may be more expensive.

If I recall correctly, a front track bar is standard on all F-53 except the base 16k unit you appear to have, where it’s an option. Since most of the add ons you’ve installed should work with the majority of F-53, I’d expect the OEM track bar shouldn’t interfere. Still, I’d confirm before buying anything.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I suggest a call to Roadmaster they have an excellant customer service department that may be able to walk you through the install. It is also possible you may have been sent the wrong part for your coach, it happens.
If you ordered the part through e trailer they have install techs that may be able to help as well.
Keep us posted
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:23 PM   #4

THOR #16296
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I did contact etrailer and emailed pictures of the situation. The techs at etrailer responded that the track bar would not fit our coach and there wasn't a secondary bracket we could purchase or other work around. Although they confirmed it is for our vehicle it doesn't fit. Not sure why ours would be different. The numbers on the parts are the same as the ordered "confirmed to fit" information. We made arrangements to ship it back. Etrailer didn't have any other front track bar for our coach that we could purchase or that they recommended.

I never thought about calling Ford. Didn't know track bar was an option on the 16K. Good suggestion.

Thank you.
I really have learned so much on the various posting on this site.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:47 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #16508
Have you tried the cheap handling fix? If not try that first before installing those expensive parts. It worked well for me.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:16 AM   #6

THOR #16296
Yes, the CHF was the very first adjustment we tried. Good thing too because we found one rear sway bar bracket missing and the other rear bracket loose. Luckily we found that problem right after our purchase by reading information on this forum.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #17634
Find a place that does truck alignment and have the caster changed. I added Safety Plus and caster changed on my Axis 24.1 and it made a world of difference
Old 02-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #8

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenorris View Post
Find a place that does truck alignment and have the caster changed. I added Safety Plus and caster changed on my Axis 24.1 and it made a world of difference
+1 on alignment in you haven't had one!
Ford does not align when they build a f53, no point because they don't know how much weight will on the mh.

Edit: the 224Sunnyside hasn't been on since Jan. 24th.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #9

THOR #16296
Thanks for the ideas. We took a chance and purchased the Blue Ox Front Trac Bar TT2403 for Ford 53 v10. Even though it fits years 04-11 and ours is 2014 chassis and 2015 Thor Ace, we thought it was our best option. DH is installing it today. Cross your fingers. Thank every one for your suggestions. Appreciate it.