Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #1

State: Alabama
THOR #8079
Frustration

We purchased a new, Four Winds 31 W the end of June 2017. We took it out on a couple of trips in order to come up with a punch list of repairs that needed to be done. The list was far longer than we had hoped or expected. Our coach has now been at Camping World in Oxford, AL for just short of two months. Camping World submitted photos and other documentation to Thor regarding the repairs. Thor agreed that all repairs were under warranty. We had water pouring into the bedroom window and onto the bed when it rained, the hot water heater went out. Even if we had hot water, we could not have showered in the coach because water ran out of the bathroom and onto the kitchen floor. We had water coming under the dinette when the slide was closed. It took about six bungee cords to fasten all doors and cabinets when we were on the road as they would pop open.
According to Camping World, they had to wait for parts from Thor but the parts have all been in house for over a week.
We just want our coach back and we want it repaired. Have any of you had to escalate your repair problems to Camping World Corporate? Phone calls and visits to CW are not getting us anywhere.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegallr2 View Post
We purchased a new, Four Winds 31 W the end of June 2017. We took it out on a couple of trips in order to come up with a punch list of repairs that needed to be done. The list was far longer than we had hoped or expected. Our coach has now been at Camping World in Oxford, AL for just short of two months. Camping World submitted photos and other documentation to Thor regarding the repairs. Thor agreed that all repairs were under warranty. We had water pouring into the bedroom window and onto the bed when it rained, the hot water heater went out. Even if we had hot water, we could not have showered in the coach because water ran out of the bathroom and onto the kitchen floor. We had water coming under the dinette when the slide was closed. It took about six bungee cords to fasten all doors and cabinets when we were on the road as they would pop open.
According to Camping World, they had to wait for parts from Thor but the parts have all been in house for over a week.
We just want our coach back and we want it repaired. Have any of you had to escalate your repair problems to Camping World Corporate? Phone calls and visits to CW are not getting us anywhere.
Went through a similar issue with CW in Tampa just recently. I got no where with them and kept escalating with Thor. Finally it made it up the ladder high enough to get something done.

CW will respond to Thor quicker than they will to you.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
We had the same frustration with CW Kingston NY. They had ours for two months for a total of eight hours worth of repairs. After two months we said we were coming to pick up our RV on a certain date. They started the work the day before we arrived.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

THOR #8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreitas View Post
Went through a similar issue with CW in Tampa just recently. I got no where with them and kept escalating with Thor. Finally it made it up the ladder high enough to get something done.

CW will respond to Thor quicker than they will to you.
Just not right!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

THOR #8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
We had the same frustration with CW Kingston NY. They had ours for two months for a total of eight hours worth of repairs. After two months we said we were coming to pick up our RV on a certain date. They started the work the day before we arrived.
We were told they wouldn't start any work until all parts were in which makes no sense as they were only missing one, small item.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
CW isn’t good. There’s a former bluebird contractor in Byron GA who works on RVs. I live in Henry County, GA.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #7

THOR #9957
Quote:
Also can contact Thor to see if there are other Thor dealers in your area.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #8

THOR #8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
Also can contact Thor to see if there are other Thor dealers in your area.
We did speak to another dealership who sells Thor and were told to take it back to where we bought it while it was in warranty.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #9

THOR #8707
Quote:
We did speak to another dealership who sells Thor and were told to take it back to where we bought it while it was in warranty.
If Thor had called them the answer would be different. There is a way to get it moving, keep escalating with Thor, they will get CW moving. I was without my coach for over 2 months when i got to the right person with Thor. Someone very high up with CW got a call at home from someone very high up with Thor. This is what the CW service manager told me the next day. He also told me that he didn't know what buttons i pushed but i pushed the right ones and they were put under serious pressure to get mine done asap. I got my coach back just over a week after all this happening.

CW will walk all over you of you allow it. Thor advised me that if i had any other issues, they would call a dealer to have it resolved as i did not want CW to touch my unit after the last repair. Just gotta keep fighting!!
Old 11-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #10

THOR #8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreitas View Post
If Thor had called them the answer would be different. There is a way to get it moving, keep escalating with Thor, they will get CW moving. I was without my coach for over 2 months when i got to the right person with Thor. Someone very high up with CW got a call at home from someone very high up with Thor. This is what the CW service manager told me the next day. He also told me that he didn't know what buttons i pushed but i pushed the right ones and they were put under serious pressure to get mine done asap. I got my coach back just over a week after all this happening.

CW will walk all over you of you allow it. Thor advised me that if i had any other issues, they would call a dealer to have it resolved as i did not want CW to touch my unit after the last repair. Just gotta keep fighting!!
Got a call late this afternoon that the repairs will be finished tomorrow. We must have finally pushed the right buttons.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #11

THOR #8707
Quote:
Got a call late this afternoon that the repairs will be finished tomorrow. We must have finally pushed the right buttons.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
All CW Customers.. send All Complaints to @marcuslemonis on Twitter. Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis*. You know the "Profit" Let him know and all of his followers KNOW.. how CW treats customers, if all Very Unhappy customers do this he will be Shamed into fixing his system that SQUEEZES HIS PROFIT OUT OF YOU!!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:26 AM   #13

THOR #4735
my advice:

NEVER just 'leave' your RV for repairs - ask for a start date AND an end date to your repairs, and don't bring it to them until the start date - let them KNOW that you are coming to pick it up on the end date, PERIOD.

Why do folks just let the dealerships 'have' their RV ??? As long as you let them let it sit there, it will.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
CW workshops are too busy being the final assembly point for the units they sell and have little shop time left for warranty work. Here is their pecking order.

New unit preparation for sale.
High end accessory installation.
Non Warranty work.
Warranty Work.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
my advice:

NEVER just 'leave' your RV for repairs - ask for a start date AND an end date to your repairs, and don't bring it to them until the start date - let them KNOW that you are coming to pick it up on the end date, PERIOD.

Why do folks just let the dealerships 'have' their RV ??? As long as you let them let it sit there, it will.
I couldn't agree with this more. NEVER leave your coach at the dealer for repair. I've seen over a hundred RVs sitting at a dealer awaiting repair. They are overwhelmed with the amount of work, and that's why most won't take on any work unless you made your purchase there.

We have an appointment at General RV on Friday to have them assess a few small warranty items. When the parts are in, we will make an appointment to take the coach in again and have the repairs made. We will wait until the work is completed, all day if that's what it takes, then bring it home. It's hard for them to ignore your coach when you have an appointment and you're sitting in the waiting room. General RV is very good when you work with them to set up appointments.

General RV is an hour and a half drive, one way with tolls, making the drive fairly costly. La Mesa is much closer to us but the one time we took our RV in to have them look at some warranty items, they told us to bring it back completely empty and expect to leave it for at least 2 months. Drove off that lot and never returned. We'd drive 90 minutes to General over that every time!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
This coach is MY coach. There are many similar coaches like it but this one is MINE. Unless you are actively working on it, it will be in MY possession!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #17

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
I couldn't agree with this more. NEVER leave your coach at the dealer for repair. I've seen over a hundred RVs sitting at a dealer awaiting repair. They are overwhelmed with the amount of work, and that's why most won't take on any work unless you made your purchase there.

We have an appointment at General RV on Friday to have them assess a few small warranty items. When the parts are in, we will make an appointment to take the coach in again and have the repairs made. We will wait until the work is completed, all day if that's what it takes, then bring it home. It's hard for them to ignore your coach when you have an appointment and you're sitting in the waiting room. General RV is very good when you work with them to set up appointments.

General RV is an hour and a half drive, one way with tolls, making the drive fairly costly. La Mesa is much closer to us but the one time we took our RV in to have them look at some warranty items, they told us to bring it back completely empty and expect to leave it for at least 2 months. Drove off that lot and never returned. We'd drive 90 minutes to General over that every time!

We bought our 2017 in Texas which is 1100 miles from home. After we got home (2 months after purchase) we noticed issues with the main slide out. Within 45 minutes we have 3 dealers that sell THOR RV'S. All refused to work on it. I called the warranty dept an they gave me 2 more to call. Those two would not work on it either. I called THOR Back and they set up repairs at General RV-Huntley IL. Factory repair dept was swamped at the time. Going to Huntley saved me 6+ hrs of driving. I was well taken care of and if anything, I cannot fix myself I will definitely call General RV-Huntley.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #18

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I know the CW I go to in Burlington WA. is always overwhelmed with work. Service Writer I use is really great and helpful and has gone extra measures with some of my issues for warranty repair but his hands are tied. Shop has to many coaches and not enough experienced repairmen. Good shop people, hard to find. I've viewed a couple of them. No gear other than low gear. Talked with shop foreman couple times and he is nice guy but I can tell by conversation, body language etc. he's frustrated with how some of the workers do their jobs. One issue in particular: had safe t steer put on my coach about a month ago. I read the install procedure online, had good understanding of install procedure and test drive for adjustments. Asked Serv. writer if my rig was test driven after install. He walked over to shop and was told "yes" ready to go. Not a mile down the frontage road to freeway, pulled to left "hard". Took back immediately. Had shop foreman test drive with me seated in passenger seat. Expression on his face was "red". I could tell he was pissed. Took back into shop bay 4 times, after each adjustment and stood their himself with worker telling him what and how to do adjustment. Finally got it right 4th time. Good example of shop people not doing something completely as they were expected to and apparently shop foreman mislead and to his embarrassment in front of customer. Personally? If I was shop foreman, I would have let that person go. Why? many reasons but main one, I could have gotten in a head on wreck. Steering issues, pretty dam important to make sure it's right.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
In the last year we had a CW open up in our city. They Told the TV folks who interviewed them that they were going after the best Techs around... Well when they open they were unable to hire any of the existing techs, not one of them wanted to go down to $15.00 an hour from their 25.00 an hour job. Turns out they hired all trainees to fill their slots. They did hire a Service manager to fill that slot, but he was fired from every RV dealership in town for poor workman ship. Will not go there, I do have a good traveling tech who comes out to the storage site and performs what is needed
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #20

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Whether you leave you coach or not, or if its a good idea or not, really depends on the dealer. I have left mine for warrantee work, and for a substantial number of modifications and equipment adds, and have no complaints. I did make it a point to get to know both the service manger and the tech that works on it, fairly well, and have a great relationship with them. I can call either, whenever, and they will provide recommendations, advice and scheduling information.