Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
Furnace malfunction

I have a 2016 ACE 27.1. I was having trouble when it rained my furnace fan would come on but furnace would start and then shut down. I contacted Atwood and they had an upgraded door. I had that installed and today after a heavy rain my furnace did not work. (Same as before) I looked for other potential places for water to enter coach and found that the 30 amp plug was not seated properly and had no silicone to seal it. Upon removal of screws I could see that water was entering via plug. I cleaned up gasket (rubber) and re tightened the screws and siliconed the plug. We'll have to wait for next rain. Also water was accumulating in bay directly under furnace. I drilled small hole to release the water that had accumulated there and it was a good amount. The water just sat there. Hope this helps someone. Ozzie

Old 06-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #4529
I had a similar issue last night when I was washing my ACE 29.4, it started making a fast ticking sound, it sounded like the pilot had gone out and was trying to restart, also a fan was blowing. I took the access panel off and it didnt seem like there was any water inside and I was careful not to spray directly at the exhaust. It went on for quite awhile, I unplugged the power and switched the battery to store mode to shut it off, then waited a bit, the furnace started up normally after that but when I went to shut it down it made the same ticking sound for a couple of minutes, then stopped, very puzzling
Old 07-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
Hi, I can report that my furnace is working fine. As stated before if you get water in furnace compartment it may be the shore power plug not properly installed. ACe 27.1. Atwood has a updated door for their furnaces. They have removed the louvers and door only has an exaust. Ozzie
Old 07-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

State: Idaho
THOR #2306
Not the door

My 27k Windsport had the same problem. Water got into the area where the control board is located and caused it to corrode and malfunction. Replaced the board and problem was fixed.

While talking to Atwood my service rep found that Atwood did not think it was the louvers causing the problem of water entry to the control board anymore. They had him put silicone sealer/glue on top of the screws that are above the control board. These are visible when you take off the access door. Did not require him to replace door. They were assuming that the foam on the inside of access panel was in good shape, which mine was being a new unit.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
Cal

State: Alberta
THOR #4725
I have the same ticking problem on my 2016 Thor Axis any ideas on how to make it stop I have turned off the power switch inside the outer panel waiting for a solution.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie322 View Post
I have a 2016 ACE 27.1. I was having trouble when it rained my furnace fan would come on but furnace would start and then shut down. I contacted Atwood and they had an upgraded door. I had that installed and today after a heavy rain my furnace did not work. (Same as before) I looked for other potential places for water to enter coach and found that the 30 amp plug was not seated properly and had no silicone to seal it. Upon removal of screws I could see that water was entering via plug. I cleaned up gasket (rubber) and re tightened the screws and siliconed the plug. We'll have to wait for next rain. Also water was accumulating in bay directly under furnace. I drilled small hole to release the water that had accumulated there and it was a good amount. The water just sat there. Hope this helps someone. Ozzie
Read my post.... Possible Defect in Ace, Axis and Vegas ??? for information about the cover.....
Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
I had the same problem after washing our 27K. It would lite but would go off in about 10 seconds. The next day tried again after several attempts it started up and was fine. The furnace doesn't like water.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #8

Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
I added this 2 years ago and no problems since
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version