Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #4883
Furnace not working

I hope you can help. We have a 2015 Thor ACE. This is our first trip out this season. We have filled our propane tank, we are plugged into power.
Our furnace kicks in but stops after about 30 seconds plus no heat comes out. Any ideas? Is there a manual pilot light?

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Just taking shots in the dark here, but my first guess would be that its not getting propane. Make sure all valves are open, including the shutoff at the furnace. If its getting propane, is the burner igniting? Possibly the electronic igniter is failing.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #3

THOR #4883
thanks, we will check that out.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #4

State: Illinois
THOR #5321
Was it raining or had it rained recently? I had same problem the louvres on the exterior panels for the furnace pointed up instead of down and rain got in and the circuit board got wet. Dry the circuit board and it should work and then fix louvre situation.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:01 AM   #5

THOR #4883
We will look at that too. Thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #5189
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5718.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	4815Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5716.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	4816Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5717.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	4817
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #7

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
Was it raining or had it rained recently? I had same problem the louvres on the exterior panels for the furnace pointed up instead of down and rain got in and the circuit board got wet. Dry the circuit board and it should work and then fix louvre situation.

Double R is correct. Also, never direct the hose directly at the exterior of exterior panel when washing. Circuit board is less than a couple of inches from the exterior panel.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #8

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Quote:

I had the same issue. I kept calling dealer and complaining. The louvers were pointed the wrong direction causing water to fall directly on the circuit board. Talked to another RV dealer and he said there were issues with the design but Atwood didn't want a recall. Two weeks before it went out of warranty the dealer said there was a new door design, to replace the old. They ended up replacing the door and circuit board. No issues now works great.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #9

THOR #5321
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1060.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	4822
Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #10

THOR #5321
I fixed mine myself. I bought a $4.00 stainless steel plate and put over the the existing louvers. Works great, No further problems.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:49 AM   #11

THOR #5321
The plate I found was actually for a boat. It a sea dog 3313901 louvered vent 5"H 4 5/8" W. $4.75 plus shipping $9.99 total. Found on line.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #12

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Louvered Deck Plate

What a great idea, as Thor is really balking at fixing this mess they created. Checked my furnace cover and it looks like the 5X4.5 is too big. My height from bottom vent cap to top of the cover is less than 4 inches, but more than 2.5 inches (the other size available). Hmmm.......
Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #13

THOR #5321
My bad I did use the smaller one. I didn't think it would fit either, but it did perfectly. I have a Thor Challenger 2015. Thor was no help getting me the proper panel. Even if it's not exact for you if you place it right it should keep the water out. I also used some clear silicone sealant to be sure.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #14

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Quote:
My bad I did use the smaller one. I didn't think it would fit either, but it did perfectly. I have a Thor Challenger 2015. Thor was no help getting me the proper panel. Even if it's not exact for you if you place it right it should keep the water out. I also used some clear silicone sealant to be sure.
Did you cut out the louvers on the original panel or just go over them?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #15

THOR #5321
Just went over them.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37tb
State: California
THOR #2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy3308@hotmail.com View Post
Great idea Teddy3308!

Being atwood is replacing the doors without louvers these days and my circuit board was just replaced. This make sense. Im not going with a full replacement of a door as it has a few colors that a shop would have to match.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Had a similar issue with my new Miramar last year. That only thing that seemed to work, at least I haven't had the problem since; was to close the valve at the tank. Turn on the furnace, set temp to 80 deg, then turn on stove. Let these appliances attempt to pull LP. After approximately a minute, turn all appliances off.

Go back out and turn on the LP tank. Wait at least a minute for pressure to build up in the system. Now go to your stove first, light the stove, all burners and let it run for a minute or so. If your hot water heater is LP, also fire it up and let it run. With both stove and water heater running, fire up the furnace and try it. Make sure your thermostat is set to heat>on>80+ deg and see if it fires off.

If you have a helper, have them turn it on, you could stand by the blower outside and see if you hear the igniter ticking. If it's ticking trying to light and does not fire off, then you may have a more serious problem.

I haven't a problem since I tried this last year!

Good luck and keep us posted!!