Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What about the little MB V-6 diesel?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I have heard good things about the engine but understand repairs at Mercedes dealers are expensive and dealers are not located everywhere so may be hard to find in some areas. That being said, I think I heard it from the Ford dealer.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
MB was using diesels when most of us was pooping mustard. Great engines if you stay on top of scheduled maintenance.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #24

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
It should be fine as long as you don’t expect too much from 188 or 190 horsepower. Fortunately the (2018 chassis) motorhomes are limited to 11,030 pounds so engine power for the weight isn’t that bad without a toad.

I recall driving an E-450 Class C with V10 in Utah mountains while following a Sprinter-based Class C (neither of us towing) and I couldn’t pass him. Turbocharged engines don’t lose as much power due to higher elevation as do naturally-aspirated engines, so we were both about in the same range of power per weight. Just saying it should pull about the same as your toy hauler.

For what it’s worth, Mercedes is replacing V6 with new Inline-6 diesels in Europe on some models, but I’m not sure about the new Sprinter. The new I-6 diesel may be too long for the short engine compartment of a van. They also have a new smaller 4-cylinder diesel that puts out about as much power as the V6. In Europe these smaller +/- 2-liter diesels seem to be the new norm on full size vans from Mercedes, Fiat, VW, and Ford. It’s amazing they are getting close to 200 HP out of 2 liters.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks! This is the first "oil-burner", that I've ever had out in front of the steering wheel.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #26

Model: Compass TR23
THOR #5842
We have owned our Thor Compass, Ford Diesel, for 2 years and regularly get 16.5 to 18 mpg. At 65 mph expect 18 mpg, at 70 mph expect 16.5. 75 mph drops to 15 mpg. Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #27

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghh3 View Post
We have owned our Thor Compass, Ford Diesel, for 2 years and regularly get 16.5 to 18 mpg. At 65 mph expect 18 mpg, at 70 mph expect 16.5. 75 mph drops to 15 mpg. Hope this helps.
We also have a 2018 Thor Compass with the Ford Transit diesel, and average 15-16 mpg. Don’t think we’ve EVER gotten 18 mpg, and we don’t usually drive more than 65 mph! Wonder what we are doing wrong???
Old 10-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #28

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Also wondering how many of you with diesel engines regularly use fuel additive/buster?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #29

THOR #6333
Quote:
Welcome to the Forum!
We just bought a Sprinter-based Class C, and have been told to expect 15-17 mpg... depending on the dance my right foot does with the "loud pedal".
We avg 13ish in our KM24 going 62 on cruise fairly level road. 18,000 miles so far.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #30

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Also wondering how many of you with diesel engines regularly use fuel additive/buster?
I used an additive years ago when it was recommended by a Radio auto talk show host who also owned a large repair shop. He also sold the stuff. At the time I was spending a week at a time on the road hauling horses and farm equipment with my 2004 Dodge Ram diesel. Don’t know if it did anything except cost me money. I think if you should be using it there would be a recommendation from the manufacturer.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #31

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #10886
Hi AJMike, we have a Gemini 24tb and get 16mpg at 65-70mph. Also pull a Mini Cooper some of the time and get 14-15 towing.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghh3 View Post
That is pretty good news!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1540679403
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	13683  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #33

Model: Thor Axis or the Ace
THOR #13487
The Axis or the Vegas has a simpler engine as you have been driving. The MBZ diesel gets about the same 14-16 mpg. I have had a MBZ diesel and the service and maintence was very expensive and I would not own another MBZ because of that. Cost of ownership is high. If it's the Ford diesel, I understand is OK.
Also in Ca. Diesel fuel is far more expensive and you also need to add DEF as well.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:03 AM   #34

State: Nevada
THOR #4729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
First, hello to everyone. I am new to this forum, and new to Thor. We have not yet bought our RV but plan to choose between a Gemini (24TB) or Vegas (24.1) and pick our RV today or tomorrow. We are headed back to the dealer in a couple of hours to take one final look.

We are coming from a 2005 class B RV so either choice will give us a lot more room than we currently have, but one thing I have some concerns about is what to expect in terms of fuel economy with the change from a B to either a small C or an A.

Our 2005 class B has a Ford V10 (which is probably similar to the V10 in the Vegas) and gives us 14-15 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, 13-14 mpg at 70 mph, but I do not know what to expect from either the Gemini diesel or the Vegas gas engines. I know this all depends upon a lot of variables - speed, road conditions, traffic, weather, wind and the like, but any information would be more than I have now. It would be a help to know what ranges to expect, and it might help me pick between the two as the cost of using the RV is something I need to consider.

Thanks for any help.
Our Thor Compass, (Gemini Twin) with the Ford transit diesel has been getting anywhere from 12-18mpg. Most trips on flat ground see about 14-15. We're very pleased with the handling and power, even at high speeds.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #35

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I can tell you this. We bought a 2017 Thor Synergy and after fixing everything and trips to the dealer and Thor Factory service we love it. I have had several RV's in my life but none of them drove or handled as well as this Mercedes Sprinter based Synergy with diesel engine. If you can get your Gemini in a Mercedes chassis like the Gemini RUV I highly recommend or go up a little to get the Thor Citation, Siesta or Synergy. They are bigger then the Gemini but smaller than your usual class C. Good luck.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #36

Model: Chateau 35SK
THOR #8233
11.1 is exciting

welcome! we just did our longest trip from FL to Gatlinberg and got our best mileage yet! 11.1 mpg IN THE MOUNTAINS! We have a 2016 Super C (36ft diesel) Chateau. Great trip!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #37

Model: Quantum WS31
THOR #14399
Just completed a 4,000 mile trip in our new Gemini 23TR. When we left, it was 8 degrees, cold, windy (upstate New York) and were getting around 11 MPG. As we got furthe south and more miles on the rig, the mileage steadily improved. By the time we got back, we got 17.5 MPG on our last tank. Overall, we got 16.5 MPG for the 4,000 mile trip. Not too bad I think. The Ford diesel was strong in the mountains, the cruis held its speed even up grades and descending big hills. Nice power train.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #38

Model: Four Winds 24HL
State: Georgia
THOR #11024
Talked to MB service guy about the 3500 MBS

We have Four Winds class C on a MBS chassis. Cat scale weight is 11,400 lbs loaded.

I brought our coach in to MB dealer for a recall re: a software update. Here is what the Adviser told me about the service. This is in ATL, he sees lots of Sprinters.

He said don't bring it to him for an oil change. Way to expensive, just use the correct oil. My local BP garage where I take my cars say's they can do it.

I asked about the 20k range of an oil change. He said it's no problem, no reason to do it sooner esp since MH's do more highway than city. MB has engineered the Sprinter for city traffic stop and start for delivery vans etc. No reason for a typical MH to change the oil more frequently.

But he did recommend changing the transmission fluid at 40k not 80k miles intervals because the weight we are hauling around. I wouldn't think this applies to a class Bs.

The MB maintenance books says to change the transmission fluid after the 1st 40k then 80k after that. My plan is change after the first 30k. Then 40-50k after that.

The bulbous front end of the Four Winds keeps our mileage down when compared to the Compass and similar streamlined designs. Typically we see 12-13.5 MPG around 65mph.

We have had our MH for 1 year it has 9200 miles on it.

One thing I would recommend is keeping an extra serpentine belt on board. That would likely be the first thing to fail unexpectedly.

2018 Four Winds 24 HL Sprinter Chassis
Cats = 2 (Max and Nellie) + Dog (Fiona) = Happy family.
Mred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #39

THOR #6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mred View Post
We have Four Winds class C on a MBS chassis. Cat scale weight is 11,400 lbs loaded.

I brought our coach in to MB dealer for a recall re: a software update. Here is what the Adviser told me about the service. This is in ATL, he sees lots of Sprinters.

He said don't bring it to him for an oil change. Way to expensive, just use the correct oil. My local BP garage where I take my cars say's they can do it.

I asked about the 20k range of an oil change. He said it's no problem, no reason to do it sooner esp since MH's do more highway than city. MB has engineered the Sprinter for city traffic stop and start for delivery vans etc. No reason for a typical MH to change the oil more frequently.

But he did recommend changing the transmission fluid at 40k not 80k miles intervals because the weight we are hauling around. I wouldn't think this applies to a class Bs.

The MB maintenance books says to change the transmission fluid after the 1st 40k then 80k after that. My plan is change after the first 30k. Then 40-50k after that.

The bulbous front end of the Four Winds keeps our mileage down when compared to the Compass and similar streamlined designs. Typically we see 12-13.5 MPG around 65mph.

We have had our MH for 1 year it has 9200 miles on it.

One thing I would recommend is keeping an extra serpentine belt on board. That would likely be the first thing to fail unexpectedly.
Good info. We have the MBS chassis Quantum KM24. Your experience on all fronts mirrors ours.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:01 AM   #40

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
In addition to all of the other reason for deisel over gas, is the increased range because the milage improvement (I love fewer stops to fuel!), the comparable quiet (rpm at speed and climbing) and finally the "quiet deisel" sound and efficiency of the generators if also equipped!

Tags
gemini 23tb, vegas 24.1