Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
gas/diesel mileage questions

First, hello to everyone. I am new to this forum, and new to Thor. We have not yet bought our RV but plan to choose between a Gemini (24TB) or Vegas (24.1) and pick our RV today or tomorrow. We are headed back to the dealer in a couple of hours to take one final look.

We are coming from a 2005 class B RV so either choice will give us a lot more room than we currently have, but one thing I have some concerns about is what to expect in terms of fuel economy with the change from a B to either a small C or an A.

Our 2005 class B has a Ford V10 (which is probably similar to the V10 in the Vegas) and gives us 14-15 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, 13-14 mpg at 70 mph, but I do not know what to expect from either the Gemini diesel or the Vegas gas engines. I know this all depends upon a lot of variables - speed, road conditions, traffic, weather, wind and the like, but any information would be more than I have now. It would be a help to know what ranges to expect, and it might help me pick between the two as the cost of using the RV is something I need to consider.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
We just bought a Sprinter-based Class C, and have been told to expect 15-17 mpg... depending on the dance my right foot does with the "loud pedal".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

THOR #13468
> We just bought a Sprinter-based Class C

Thanks for the reply, but the Gemini 24TB is on a Ford Transit chassis with the Ford diesel and I have no idea if it is as efficient as the Mercedes diesel. That is one of the questions I have been wrestling with.

I suspect, without any evidence, that the Mercedes diesel probably is more efficient, but I do not know if that is true or, even if it is, by much of a difference that would make. But I would be very happy with 15-17 mpg.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
You can do a forum search of either the Gemini or Vegas and find much information from owners about MPG.

As I recall Vegas typically fall in 8~10 MPG range, while the smaller, lighter diesel Gemini does significantly better. Motorhome magazine has tested many of these smaller diesel rigs and 15~17 is possible at lower highway speeds without too much wind or hills.

I wouldn’t compare to Bob’s Mercedes Class C because the Gemini should be lighter and more aero due to its B+ design.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree... the 5 cylinder diesel in the Transit chassis should fall in the 15-17 mpg range as well***

*** Of course: your mileage may vary...
Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
We just bought a Sprinter-based Class C, and have been told to expect 15-17 mpg... depending on the dance my right foot does with the "loud pedal".
Wow, Which model and floor plan did you get? Congratulation.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would figure 9-10 on the Axis without towing (personal experience).

And 15-17 on the Gemini without towing (from what I read).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah we're in that 9-10 mpg range with our Axis as well (towing or not...we always seem to get the same mpg).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 35 SB Super c
THOR #1679
I have had two class c's since 2009. Both had ford engines. The gasser was the V-10, the diesel was the new ford 300hp V-8. The gasser was a 32 foot Jayco. The diesel is a 35 foot Four Winds. The gasser got 6 to 6.5, and the heavier diesel gets close to 10. I drive the speed limit, so both were pushed pretty hard. This was when towing. Driver fatigue is considerably less with the diesel as you can power up most hills without a lot of downshifting. I would never go back to gas after comparing the two.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post

......cut.......

Our 2005 class B has a Ford V10 (which is probably similar to the V10 in the Vegas) and gives us 14-15 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, 13-14 mpg at 70 mph, but I do not know what to expect from either the Gemini diesel or the Vegas gas engines. I know this all depends upon a lot of variables - speed, road conditions, traffic, weather, wind and the like, but any information would be more than I have now. It would be a help to know what ranges to expect, and it might help me pick between the two as the cost of using the RV is something I need to consider.

Thanks for any help.
My 2 cents on fuel costs .....

One of the most important factors that affects costs is how much the motorhome is driven. Studies often estimate that the average motorhome is only driven around 5,000 miles per year, so differences in fuel costs aren’t usually that great as percent of total costs.

For example, at 5,000 miles per year, the difference between 8 and 10 MPG is only 125 gallons per year, or about $375 annually. The difference between 15 and 17 MPG is far less, or about 39 gallons a year. Compared to total ownership costs it’s not much to consider.

Even when comparing the extremes of a ~ 9 MPG Vegas to a ~ 16 MPG Gemini, fuel cost differences are still relatively small — in order of less than $1,000 per year.

Obviously, if we drive a lot these differences can add up quickly. I’m at 185,000 miles on my van camper, so if I had driven that much in a Vegas, it would have cost me about $25k more in fuel over the life of the vehicle. Fortunately, larger motorhomes often get driven less than van campers, so higher fuel costs won’t be quite as bad. A lot of trips we’ve taken in our van I know we wouldn’t have taken in a full-size motorhome.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 35 SB Super c
THOR #1679
The New Ford diesel is fantastic. Pulling a HONDA ODYSSEY (Over 4000 lbs) on a dolly with a 19500 lbs Four Winds, through the western mountains, I was between 8.5-10 mpg. If you are lighter and towing less, I would expect better.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #12

THOR #13468
Thank you all for your information. It was a terrific help and I truly appreciate it. The mileage for the Vegas was what I assumed it would be - on the order of 8-10 mpg. We actually drive a lot more than the normal RV yearly mileage having put more than 50,000 miles on our Class B in the 4 1/2 years we have owned it. I love the Ford V-10 in it, but then it is only pushing a 20 foot Class B RV that weighs something like 9500 pounds.

As for the new RV, my wife liked the 24TB floor plan of The Gemini but the dealer did not have any on the lot other than a single used model. We are trying to decide between the used model (approx 5000 miles) a new one at an out of state branch of the dealership. They have offered to have it brought in, and are going to let us know the cost of moving it. We did get to drive the Ford diesel and it seems very nice. Peppy, quiet and it runs about 2000 rpm at 60 mph while the Mercedes diesel we drove earlier (in a different RV brand) was running at 2700 rpm at the same speed.

Again, thank you everyone for all of the wonderful information.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Wow, Which model and floor plan did you get? Congratulation.
It's an "SOB" thing...
A Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 AM   #14

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Welcome AJMike.
Welcome to the forum. We have had the Ford chassis 23TR for nearly two years and after 15,000 miles we are very pleased. If you are used to the travel van you should love the Gemini. Goes about anywhere, parks about anywhere and has good amenities. Good Luck and Happy Travels. Is the IOWA cafe still in business?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:50 AM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have a 20K pound Super C with the Ford 6.7 diesel and got 12.1 on our last trip to Savannah. Pretty flat ground but I would guess the Transit would do much better than that.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #16

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
diesels cost to much to buy, service is near impossible for sprinter , ford or ram small diesels. the wait time is 3 week min for service in detroit now, the big bus diesels are much easier, ford v10 and chevy 6.0 are bullet proof engines.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #17

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
diesels cost to much to buy, service is near impossible for sprinter , ford or ram small diesels. the wait time is 3 week min for service in detroit now, the big bus diesels are much easier, ford v10 and chevy 6.0 are bullet proof engines.
I have had diesels since 2004 and not experienced any of what you write. I called my Ford dealer on Tuesday and Wednesday morning had it service on Wednesday including the water intrusion recall. Up front cost may be a little higher but so is resale.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I guess that i'll have to learn more about diesels now...
Old 10-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
Congratulations on the new adventure and welcome to the forum!
We just came back from a trip to Grand Isle Louisiana and Voice of the Wetlands Festival in Houma!
We were very surprised at the cost of diesel fuel. Generally in the $3.34 to $3.65 range. Gas was pretty cheap, in the $2.35 - $2.65 range. Mississippi has excellent gas prices with Arkansas and Louisiana being about 5% - 10% higher. Missouri was on par with Mississippi.
I must say, our Chateau 23-U w/ Ford V-10 is very easy to maintain and service. I do oil changes and most things I do for our cars. It gets 8-9 mpg and has plenty of torque to pull. It's bigger than a Sprinter, but not so large that we can't take it most places. With our scooter on back, we have the best of both worlds!
Good luck with you choice and enjoy the ride!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Diesels are the best engines made. Expensive, yes but low maintenance, excellent mileage, power to pull the fire out of hell, no ignition system and run for 700K miles minimum. Most heavy equipment and commercial vehicles are diesel power for a reason. It cost more but worth every penny.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini 23tb, vegas 24.1