Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Florida
THOR #6194
Gas Station Advice/GPS Advice?

We are new to RV's and new to Diesel fuel.

Is there any device/app out there that can help one find diesel fuel along one's route? We've found that not all gas stations have diesel, or not all gas stations can accommodate the size of an RV.

Do you favor one type of gas station because they have predictable layouts and diesel supply or are RV-friendly? eg. Shell vs. BP vs. Flying J?

Do you find a particular type of GPS helpful for RV excursions for finding gas, or avoiding low clearance?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:05 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Here's what I use. <http://www.findfuelstops.com/>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:23 AM   #3

Model: Synergy
THOR #6194
findfuelstops.com is super!

Thank's for the tip. That is nice that you can put in your starting point and your destination and see all RV friendly gas stations along the way!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #4

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
The GasBuddy app has been mentioned and it's one that I have used. You select the type of fuel (gas or diesel) and if you activate your mobile device's location feature the app will show the fuel stops nearby or you can pan down the route to check for stops farther away. There are probably others so you might try them out and select the one that works for you.

Ed L
2016 Thor Synergy TT24 3.0L
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppypaws View Post
We are new to RV's and new to Diesel fuel.

Is there any device/app out there that can help one find diesel fuel along one's route? We've found that not all gas stations have diesel, or not all gas stations can accommodate the size of an RV.

Do you favor one type of gas station because they have predictable layouts and diesel supply or are RV-friendly? eg. Shell vs. BP vs. Flying J?

Do you find a particular type of GPS helpful for RV excursions for finding gas, or avoiding low clearance?
Truck stops work best for me if I'm pulling a toad. Without a tow it does not matter for my size rig. I use Google maps for GPS and have a truck version of the Rand Hard Cover Map book. Each map list shows roads with low clearance. Have never had a problem with clearance on my RUV. Gas buddy app can find Diesel in setup for it. You can search for Diesel or Gas Stations with Google maps with a voice command too.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I use the iExit app for going down the interstate. It shows you a lot more than just the gas stations at the next exit.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
My approach is a little different. Once I have generated my routes in our mapping software I'll launch a specific route in Google Earth and use street view to look at pump alignment etc at several gas stations near where I expect to fuel up. It is easy then to turn a specific gas station into a way point at that point. Then add it to the route.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
If you are not towing with an RV that size I would guess the GasBuddy app would be perfect for you. You can configure it just for showing you stations that have diesel.

However, if you are towing and want to ensure you never are in a congested situation where you have to back up, why not just use Pilot and Flying J. I got their card through Good Sams when we were full time in our 5th wheel and used them exclusively. You go through the semi diesel lanes and get a pretty good discount per gallon. Since you fuel up where the big trucks are you never have to worry about getting in a tight situation or old/bad fuel. They also have their own app that has a trip planner. I still use the trip planner on my I-phone even though I don't use diesel anymore.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
For a GPS, I use the Garmin RV 760 which allows one to enter their RV dimensions and weight. It will avoid any routes that would not permit your RV to pass. In one situation, it told me to take the truck bypass. When I looked to my side, I saw the low overpass it avoided.

I keep it mounted on the curved dash above the instruments. That puts it in my view and keeps my eyes on the road. It even shows speed.

There is a concept called POIs (Point of Interest) that can be loaded into the GPS. There are files for Elks Clubs, rest areas, National Parks, etc. Visit POI Factory.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Trucker Path app list low clearances, truck routes (so rvs are good to go), fuel stops & a whole group of different stops that you can program in, as well as mapping your route.
We typically drive a tank of fuel daily when traveling then find fuel in town after parking, you can usually save 30+ cents per gallon by getting away from the interstate & truck stops, then I use the Gas Bubby app to find the cheapest close by.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
I try to stick with either Pilot, Flying J, or Loves. They almost always cater to RVs, have restaurants, and will even allow overnight parking. And the Pilot app will get you a discount of 3 cents per gallon on gas, but I don't know if that applies to diesel.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
If you go to Pilot/Flying J's website, they have an Excel document with all their locations. You can import all the locations with dedicated RV lanes into your Google maps or add them one by one as you wish to your favorites in whatever device you wish. This is especially helpful when you are pulling your toad as some locations are difficult to navigate at 45' plus.

Here is my map that you can access; RV Lanes only:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15X...4I&usp=sharing