Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
Generator circuit breaker

Looking for some info. We just completed a 600 hundred mile round trip and mostly everything is okay. Seems like every trip some minor thing will fail like a drawer latch, or something. But this one; we were parked at I-81 rest area.

Motor Home engine not running.
1. Generator start normal.
Power comes to the coach because you hear switches click on and power indicators to devices illuminate.
2. Turn on roof air conditioner.
3. Turn on Microwave for a 5 minute lunch cook time.
4. Walk dogs.
5. Engine generator is running, but air conditioner is off and no ac power to unit.
so no microwave lunch. Wife unit made some nice sandwiches.
6. House fuses and circuit breaker not in tripped or fail condition. Then I remember the generator has 30 amp switch at generator which is switched off.
7. Shut down generator and start MH engine
8. Reset the 30 amp generator breaker and it remains
9. Just go on home worry about it then. The MH is functions normally.

Repeat the same condition this morning. No fail. Turn everything on, lights, tv, electric water heater, no fail.

I know these generators have a temperature fail mode? Ambient air was 80 degrees F. I would expect a the generator to cuff at a temp 100-105F overheat condition, but not sure if the generator stops running, or it just trips the breaker.

Anyone with similar experience with possible reason and resolution?

2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Possibly with AC & microwave both running the load was too heavy?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I know that on our Vegas with its generator the AC, Microwave and a blow dryer are too much of a draw! I can't remember if the generator was still running or if in panic/react mode I just shut all things down as fast as I could.

Dinner was late that day as the AC and blow dryer received priority.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Flight View Post
Looking for some info. We just completed a 600 hundred mile round trip and mostly everything is okay. Seems like every trip some minor thing will fail like a drawer latch, or something. But this one; we were parked at I-81 rest area.

Power comes to the coach because you hear switches click on and power indicators to devices illuminate.
4. Walk dogs.
5. Engine generator is running, but air conditioner is off and no ac power to unit.
6. House fuses and circuit breaker not in tripped or fail condition. Then I remember the generator has 30 amp switch at generator which is switched off.

Repeat the same condition this morning. No fail. Turn everything on, lights, tv, electric water heater, no fail.

I know these generators have a temperature fail mode? Ambient air was 80 degrees F. I would expect a the generator to cuff at a temp 100-105F overheat condition, but not sure if the generator stops running, or it just trips the breaker.

My generator spec sheet does not mention temp protection but I believe it shuts down if the temp gets above 120 degrees. Also, from the spec sheet

Typical power output change based on ambient conditions:
- Temperature: Power output decreases 1% for every 10° F (5.5° C) increase
- Altitude: Power output decreases 3.5% for every 1000 ft (305 m) increase

The testing was done at 77 degrees and 500 feet above sea level.

Depending on a number of conditions you may have overloaded the generator causing the breaker to trip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
Dave,

Thanks you for the info.

I am leaning that way too, but I am trying to get by having a 30 amp shore connection and turn everything without any failures.
Presently, it is 85F. I ran the generator turned on the rood air conditioner, turned on the electric water heater, turned on the water pump, turned on the MW and everything ran for about 30 seconds. The generator rpm started reducing then quit as it sensed a load. There is no circuit breaker trips either. I turned all the appliances off and restored the generator normally.
This was a third different result first the circuit breaker activates, next run no failure, and third the generator shuts down.

I'll look for power chart for my unit to determine to difference in power source issue and electrical load.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #6

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
AC fails to run on generator

Had another Thor experience this week, still have an AC that will not shot off on 50 amp service, now it will not run on the generator at all, neither the front or rear will run on the generator. Just get clicking when I try to get it to use the fan. Reset the breakers, no luck. Looks like there is a little green light on even when the circuit breaker is shut off.
Just another in what is seemingly starting to be a long line of issues surfacing after 36 days of Palazzo 36.1 ownership.

Any advice on where to look before I send this unit off for what will be weeks of service delays and frustration?
Thanks
Old 11-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mcgann@bellsouth.net View Post
Had another Thor experience this week, still have an AC that will not shot off on 50 amp service, now it will not run on the generator at all, neither the front or rear will run on the generator. Just get clicking when I try to get it to use the fan. Reset the breakers, no luck. Looks like there is a little green light on even when the circuit breaker is shut off.
Just another in what is seemingly starting to be a long line of issues surfacing after 36 days of Palazzo 36.1 ownership.

Any advice on where to look before I send this unit off for what will be weeks of service delays and frustration?
Thanks
Yup: Don't take it to your dealer. Set up an appointment with Factory service in Wakarusa, IN and take it there. Sure you'll have to take a few vacation days but you'll have a fixed coach (in about a week) vs months of arguing with a dealer (and maybe not getting it back fixed).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:45 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Flight View Post

4. Walk dogs.

A 4000 watt generator is rated at 33 amps. Once that is exceeded the engine will slow causing the voltage to drop which in turn causes the amperage to raise causing the breaker to trip or if a big load like the hot water heater comes on the engine will stall before the breaker would trip. When your plugged in to a pedestal the voltage won’t drop and the C.B.’s will run higher than 30 amps for short periods of time before they trip.
Here is some estimates of loads you had running. Air conditioner, 12-16 amps, hot water heater, 9-13 amps, microwave, 8-13 amps, converter 1-8 amps, water pump, 4 amps, refrigerator 3 amps.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List Inn View Post
A 4000 watt generator is rated at 33 amps. Once that is exceeded the engine will slow causing the voltage to drop which in turn causes the amperage to raise causing the breaker to trip or if a big load like the hot water heater comes on the engine will stall before the breaker would trip. When your plugged in to a pedestal the voltage won’t drop and the C.B.’s will run higher than 30 amps for short periods of time before they trip.
Here is some estimates of loads you had running. Air conditioner, 12-16 amps, hot water heater, 9-13 amps, microwave, 8-13 amps, converter 1-8 amps, water pump, 4 amps, refrigerator 3 amps.
Note that the water pump is 12V and its current draw would be included in the converter's current draw. In addition: If the water pump was drawing more than the converter could supply it would draw from the batteries as well.

On top of that: 4 amps at 12V is less than 1/2 an amp at 120V.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
With a 30 amp service, shore power or generator, running the a/c and microwave is a no-no. A/C alone I think takes around 20 amps so the microwave or even a powerful hair dryer added can trip the breaker...