Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 34ST
State: Oregon
THOR #1149
Generator Mystery

This morning walking by my coach I find the generator running. We did not start it and the coach was locked. It is plugged into shore power so the batteries are up.
I unplugged shore power and verified that power to the outlet was good. I turned off the generator and plugged the shore power back in. Heard a good thunk as the transfer switch engaged. Checked the panel and the coach is indeed receiving electricity.
I do have the auto start set up to start the generator when the batteries get low, but they are not low.
Any ideas?

Steve

steveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
That IS weird! First I would turn off auto start since you are plugged in. Next, at some point I would unplug, turn auto start on and see what happens. Sensor for low battery may be bad causing auto start even when batteries are charged. Or maybe you have one of those little electrical gremlins that are hard to find and very annoying! Not a big fan of auto start, have seen to many problems with it.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:26 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
Or is it possible that the AC power was lost, causing the genny to start? We had a CG that was installing new service, killed the power to all the CG. In addition to mine, about a dozen other generators fired up.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote