Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Generator wouldn't start

This was discussed somewhere on the forum a while back and have now experienced it myself. This involves pictures and a story so, here goes.

On a trip to the Smokeys (Smokies?) we camped at Smokemont campground inside the park.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	7763
Beautiful weather with chilly nights down in the 30s, 60s during the day. Heaven. After a couple of days I decided to charge up the batteries one morning and use the drip pot instead of the stove top coffee pot for some coffee. Generator wouldn't start. Hmmmm. Thought about it for a while and decided to read the manual. Found out how easy it was to change oil, plug and air filter. So much for CW $169 generator service. Nothing useful about it failing to start. Maybe I was holding my mouth wrong. Try again. Still no luck. Okaaay. According to the manual it only has to be primed if the fuel level has dropped below the intake at some point. Just for grins, giggles and the possibility of error on my part I primed it anyway. Changed position of mouth for added start incentive and pushed the start switch. Still wouldn't start. New plan. Made a pot of coffee on the stove and thought about it for a while. Desparate times call for desperate measures. The temp outside is still in the 30s but I zip up my hoodie and have visions of Jack London's "To Build A Fire". The wind is down and I kiss the wife, finish what could be my last ever cup of coffee and step out into the elements. "Hey, this isn't bad. The sun is really bright!" Crunching through the leaves around the rv I open the door to the generator compartment. There's this big green thing staring back at me. Removing the cover I see this big sorta silver thing on top of the generator. Not sure what it is called in this modern day so to me it's just a framus with a bunch of stuff on it and in more technical terms, a bunch of rod looking things.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	263
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7764
Intrigued, I give my best shot at troubleshooting and stare at it for about a minute. Ever done that? Probably had the same result. Nothing happened. Not sure what I'm looking at. Then that little flat thing at the top left of the picture, not round like the rod thingys, but flat and sorta laughing at me as if it's saying, "Go ahead, touch me, I dare ya!" So I did. Not only that, I pushed it a little bit. SPROING! "OH S**T! IT BROKE! THAT'S PROBABLY GONNA COST $500!" But nothing fell off on the ground; no springs flew through the air. It simply flipped around to a new position.
Walked back around the rv, crunching and smelling those great leaves, went inside and stared at the start switch on the control panel. Give it a shot. VROOM! FIRED RIGHT UP! Charged batteries, turned off generator and allowed lovely wife to praise her technically and mechanically proficient god sent leader of the family, sworn to protect and make life comfortable.
Next morning, same thing. Same fix. After 8 days I found that the generator would start later in the day in warmer temps with a long start effort, but would not start at all in colder temps without the aforementioned complex technical procedure formulated by me remaining calm in an environment of life threatening conditions in the wilds of North Carolina. Lesser men could not prevail. Not under warranty so will have to do some research and maybe get out the WD40 and see if that helps. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks for any solutions.

2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:42 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Mine almost never starts on the first try no matter what temperature it is or how recently it has been used. I just give it a good non-productive crank (probably 15-20 seconds) then let it rest for several minutes. Typically it will fire right up then. I have no idea why this works but it’s pretty consistent. Priming seems to have no effect either way.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
This was discussed somewhere on the forum a while back and have now experienced it myself. This involves pictures and a story so, here goes.

On a trip to the Smokeys (Smokies?) we camped at Smokemont campground inside the park.
Attachment 7763
Beautiful weather with chilly nights down in the 30s, 60s during the day. Heaven. After a couple of days I decided to charge up the batteries one morning and use the drip pot instead of the stove top coffee pot for some coffee. Generator wouldn't start. Hmmmm. Thought about it for a while and decided to read the manual. Found out how easy it was to change oil, plug and air filter. So much for CW $169 generator service. Nothing useful about it failing to start. Maybe I was holding my mouth wrong. Try again. Still no luck. Okaaay. According to the manual it only has to be primed if the fuel level has dropped below the intake at some point. Just for grins, giggles and the possibility of error on my part I primed it anyway. Changed position of mouth for added start incentive and pushed the start switch. Still wouldn't start. New plan. Made a pot of coffee on the stove and thought about it for a while. Desparate times call for desperate measures. The temp outside is still in the 30s but I zip up my hoodie and have visions of Jack London's "To Build A Fire". The wind is down and I kiss the wife, finish what could be my last ever cup of coffee and step out into the elements. "Hey, this isn't bad. The sun is really bright!" Crunching through the leaves around the rv I open the door to the generator compartment. There's this big green thing staring back at me. Removing the cover I see this big sorta silver thing on top of the generator. Not sure what it is called in this modern day so to me it's just a framus with a bunch of stuff on it and in more technical terms, a bunch of rod looking things.
Attachment 7764
Intrigued, I give my best shot at troubleshooting and stare at it for about a minute. Ever done that? Probably had the same result. Nothing happened. Not sure what I'm looking at. Then that little flat thing at the top left of the picture, not round like the rod thingys, but flat and sorta laughing at me as if it's saying, "Go ahead, touch me, I dare ya!" So I did. Not only that, I pushed it a little bit. SPROING! "OH S**T! IT BROKE! THAT'S PROBABLY GONNA COST $500!" But nothing fell off on the ground; no springs flew through the air. It simply flipped around to a new position.
Walked back around the rv, crunching and smelling those great leaves, went inside and stared at the start switch on the control panel. Give it a shot. VROOM! FIRED RIGHT UP! Charged batteries, turned off generator and allowed lovely wife to praise her technically and mechanically proficient god sent leader of the family, sworn to protect and make life comfortable.
Next morning, same thing. Same fix. After 8 days I found that the generator would start later in the day in warmer temps with a long start effort, but would not start at all in colder temps without the aforementioned complex technical procedure formulated by me remaining calm in an environment of life threatening conditions in the wilds of North Carolina. Lesser men could not prevail. Not under warranty so will have to do some research and maybe get out the WD40 and see if that helps. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks for any solutions.
I have a 30FE and when I want to start my genetstor, I have to start the engine on RV and then hold down start button 10 seconds at a time. Usually the second 10 seconds it starts. I turn off RV engine after it starts.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Wonderdog,
Great sense of humor, good story--glad it worked out. Having to manually perk coffee can be a real bummer. Have you found the technical name for the framus?
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
The only thing I could see from your description, is when you walked around the RV you probably went clockwise. Had you gone the other way around then the outcome would have been totally different. Great to know your wife finds you handy. Nothing better than to be appreciated.

Can't even suggest an improvement in your solution. A fine example of a solution where no duct tape was required. Enjoyed your story.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Hard to tell by the picture but I believe you are flipping the choke lever. Since I have no experience with these Onans and knowing they are supposed to start by the push of a button I assume that there is an electrical solenoid that is supposed to flip the choke on when starting. Maybe there is a problem with that solenoid?

Next time try starting it at the generator and see what happens with the choke.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
I find in mine, and in line with what the tech told me, if the generator has gone more than a few days, certainly couple weeks without starting, you will need to prime.

The other day I went out to blow out my lines, and since I didn't have power close, I started the generator. I had gone on a trip and used the generator about three weeks ago. I first tried starting and it wouldn't fire. I then primed for about 5-8 seconds, wouldn't start. I then primed for maybe 15-20 seconds (didn't watch clock, but in this range, maybe a bit longer) and then it fired right up.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
I have a 30FE and when I want to start my genetstor, I have to start the engine on RV and then hold down start button 10 seconds at a time. Usually the second 10 seconds it starts. I turn off RV engine after it starts.

Try not starting the rv. It really has nothing to do with generator.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Which battery does the generator use to start, chassis or coach?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Try not starting the rv. It really has nothing to do with generator.
I agree with you but it does have a lot to do with charging the battery you are using to attempt starting the generator. After repeated attempts you could easily find yourself with not enough power to turn over the generator. That did happen to me. Honestly, I'm not sure if starting the rv or holding my mouth in the proper position while standing facing north with my left foot raised when it finally started was helpful but it worked so it probably isn't wise to doubt the rv gods guiding these efforts.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Generally, the coach or house batteries but with so many models and Thor's electrical whimsy YMMV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Enjoyed your story and sense of humor. It’s always good to find humor in those situations when we get a bit frustrated and think a bigger hammer might be the solution.

My genny is usually a bit stubborn to start. I rarely use it except during the monthly exercise and I always prime if for several seconds first. It usually takes a second prime before it will kick over. After the first prime, I only try starting it maybe 5 or 10 seconds and prime it again for about 5 seconds. It will usually start right up after that. It’s as if I almost have to flood it to get it to fire off. In fact, it runs (sounds) as if it has been flooded for 10 or 15 seconds and then sounds normal.

If we’re not planning on using the RV for awhile (a month or two), I add Stabil or Seafoam to the gas when I fill up and run some thru the generator so the carb doesn’t gum up. I still do the monthly exercise under load though.

Good “genny” or genie luck in the future.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Generally, the coach or house batteries but with so many models and Thor's electrical whimsy YMMV.
True! But in any case wouldn't running the engine maximize the voltage to the genny starter?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #14

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
True! But in any case wouldn't running the engine maximize the voltage to the genny starter?

Possible if your batteries are low. However if it is turning over it’s not an electrical issue. Sounds like a priming issue. Mine needs a prime then an attempted start then another prime to start. I think this is normal.