Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Goodbye Thor

Well, we test drove the Venetian J40. Since is was a few hours away from our house and we already sold our ACE, we got a hotel room for the night. First time we had to do that in 3 years. Now we know why we want another MH, the hotel sucked.

At the dealer there happen to be a Thor rep, so I asked him if the quality improved over the last 3 years when we bought our ACE. He said yes, was like night and day, not only was the quality better, but the workers were happy, so I thought “cool”.

When we gout out to the J40 since the slides were in we took it for a test drive first. The dealer cranked up the gen, turned the coach a/c on and we had the dash a/c on high. It drove very nice, I think better then the Discovery LXE, and the seat was a lot more comfortable. We drove it at least 30 minutes and noticed that the dash air really wasn’t that cool (it was around 97 outside). Got back to the lot and leveled it, put the slides out and also noticed that the coach was hot (the coach a/c’s had been running the whole time). The thermostat shows that it was around 100 inside the MH. Cool air was coming out of the front a/c, but the rear a/c was blowing hot air. Our first thought was “it’s a Thor”. I wished I had seen the Thor rep after the test drive.

I did like the way it drove and loved the 150 gallon fuel tank, but in the end we went with the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M. I know there will be a break in period and things will go wrong, but hopefully it will be better quality.

Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that it just "wasn't to be..."
The best of luck to you with the new RV, and stick around: you are now officially an "S.O.B."

From a fellow S.O.B...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Congrats!!! I can Honestly say and I truly wish I didn't have too. My next coach will Not be Thor. The issues with every single issue in their rigs are horrific and uncalled for. I do have to say Thor has the Best Looking Rigs! After that "lipstick on a pig" Sad. I would be buying a small Diesel Pusher next and am Currently looking elsewhere.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What sort of timeframe are you looking at; before you begin shopping again?
Tiffin's Allegro Breeze is a really great-looking little diesel-pusher!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #5

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Good decision, I’m a fan of Fleetwood. Nice coach.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Good Luck

Our local RV dealer, who is relatively large with over 100 motorhomes on the lot, quit selling the entire Fleetwood line about 3 years. The reason I was told was because of the poor condition in which units were shipped and Fleetwood's reluctance to reimburse dealers for correcting quality defects. The dealers also said Fleetwood was extremely slow dealing with customer warranty claims. That dealer sold quite a few Bounder and Discovery units as well and Storms and the other DP line.

The dealer replaced all their Fleetwood units with Newmar and AirStream for towables.

Again, good luck. Maybe your experience will be good.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
TheTiffin's Allegro Breeze is a very nice looking unit!
I see it has 19.5 tires. Many years ago we had a Winnebago Brave which had 19.5 tires. Grated, it didn't have the chassis that this rig has, but it was just like herding a bucket of loose crap down the road. If anybody has a rig with the 19.5 tires and a similar chassis as this unit, what is your opinion on how it handles and performs on the road?

Kinda hyjacking the op's thread here. Have to apologize for that.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Good Luck

Our local RV dealer, who is relatively large with over 100 motorhomes on the lot, quit selling the entire Fleetwood line about 3 years. The reason I was told was because of the poor condition in which units were shipped and Fleetwood's reluctance to reimburse dealers for correcting quality defects. The dealers also said Fleetwood was extremely slow dealing with customer warranty claims. That dealer sold quite a few Bounder and Discovery units as well and Storms and the other DP line.

The dealer replaced all their Fleetwood units with Newmar and AirStream for towables.

Again, good luck. Maybe your experience will be good.

My current coach is a 2016 Fleetwood Storm 32V. We bought it used and while the previous enjoyer may have fixed a lot of stuff it has been really solid in our short time with it. I especially like the way Fleetwood keeps things simple. The black and gray tanks are right above the dump station so the plumbing is short, simple and exposed. It also has easy access to the backside of every faucet and electrical component. I only had my Freedom Elite for 8000 miles but it was comfortable and trouble free (just a bit too small). I had my Winnebago for about the same but it had numerous minor annoyances and several water leaks. Think you take your chances with all of ‘em!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #15383
I agree about the 19.5 tires, a lot off movement with wind and semi's.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #10

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
Also, the breeze has a much smaller engine. At one point I believe they are using the Cummins that Nissan is putting in it's trucks. I just don't feel like it's big enough for a MH. Smaller displacement and less HP. Really liked the MH though.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
but in the end we went with the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M. I know there will be a break in period and things will go wrong, but hopefully it will be better quality.
Welcome to the darkside...
from another SOB owner....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
Well, we test drove the Venetian J40. Since is was a few hours away from our house and we already sold our ACE, we got a hotel room for the night. First time we had to do that in 3 years. Now we know why we want another MH, the hotel sucked.

At the dealer there happen to be a Thor rep, so I asked him if the quality improved over the last 3 years when we bought our ACE. He said yes, was like night and day, not only was the quality better, but the workers were happy, so I thought “cool”.

When we gout out to the J40 since the slides were in we took it for a test drive first. The dealer cranked up the gen, turned the coach a/c on and we had the dash a/c on high. It drove very nice, I think better then the Discovery LXE, and the seat was a lot more comfortable. We drove it at least 30 minutes and noticed that the dash air really wasn’t that cool (it was around 97 outside). Got back to the lot and leveled it, put the slides out and also noticed that the coach was hot (the coach a/c’s had been running the whole time). The thermostat shows that it was around 100 inside the MH. Cool air was coming out of the front a/c, but the rear a/c was blowing hot air. Our first thought was “it’s a Thor”. I wished I had seen the Thor rep after the test drive.

I did like the way it drove and loved the 150 gallon fuel tank, but in the end we went with the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M. I know there will be a break in period and things will go wrong, but hopefully it will be better quality.
Well heck I didn't know two our of three of my AC weren't supposed to work

Sure glad all three work very well on shore power or the generator

The 150 gallon tank is one of the boxes the Tuscany checked

There's a really good chance the AC was on fan, not cool

Really odd post, now at least everyone will check the AC settings as the AirXcell are very good units, pretty sure the vast majority work
Old 06-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
..."I know there will be a break in period and things will go wrong"...

True sign of a realist! The grass isn't ant greener on the other side of the fence.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #12969
I didn't know Thor made a/c units?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Agreed, my next coach will not be a Thor. Worst motorhome brand on the road.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #16

State: Michigan
THOR #13849
When i had my forest river trailer and the ac went out, i didn't blame forest river as they didn't make the ac unit. I have had 3 different brand rv's and each had minor problems, just fix them and move on and enjoy rving.............
Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #17

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Agreed, my next coach will not be a Thor. Worst motorhome brand on the road.
I love my Miramar...
Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by super stock racer View Post
When i had my forest river trailer and the ac went out, i didn't blame forest river as they didn't make the ac unit. I have had 3 different brand rv's and each had minor problems, just fix them and move on and enjoy rving.............
Unless unit was wired or installed incorrectly? Or stuffing units with inferior Vendor. Products. Axxera,Seiki,furniture,batteries.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
We've had 2 Rockwoods (Forest River) TTs and loved them both. Two Thor products (Four Winds and Hurricane) and loved them both. Years ago we had a Bounder that was nothing but problems and a Pace Arrow DP that had a few recurrent issues. But we also know people who LOVE their Bounders and Pace Arrows. I think our Hurricane has a good ratio of features to price. To each his own.

If you really want to learn what constant maintenance and breakdowns look like...buy a live aboard boat. Now THAT is some money right overboard into the water.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #20

State: Michigan
THOR #13849
Race cars are worse--we own 2, one just got a new engine, the other all new wiring and a new motor mounts to replace the broken ones--, do all the work ourselves, thats half the fun-- We have a Thor super c and it tows our race trailer like it wasn't there ,trailer is about 9500 lbs fully loaded, best rv we have owned