Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
Wyn

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: New York
THOR #12514
Handling Problems when towing my Jeep

I have a 2018 Chateau 24F and tow a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 4 door. I am using a Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate and use a Patriot II braking system. The Motorhome handles fine when driven solo, however it does get pushed around in windy conditions. When I tow the Jeep, the motorhome feels like the Jeep is pushing the rear of the motorhome from side to side, making it very difficult to hold the combination in the lane. It is so bad, that after towing about 20 miles on the Interstate, I turned around and dropped off the Jeep at home and proceeded on our trip without it.

The weights of the vehicles are:
Motorhome: GVWR 12,500#, GCWR 18,500#, Cargo Capacity 1345#
Jeep: Gross weight between 4010# and 4500#

The motorhome has plenty of power to pull the Jeep, and the braking system seems to work properly too.

My questions are, is this Motorhome suitable to tow the Jeep, and if so, what suggestions do you have to allow me to correct this poor handling?

Old 10-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Your coach is not the problem. Do an internet search for "Jeep Death Wobble" and you will find many others that have had and fixed this problem.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I towed a Wrangler behind my Class A. I found that new front tires made a world of difference. I used a Roadmaster 8000
Old 10-18-2018, 03:36 AM   #4

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind a 2017 Challenger 37LX. Using a Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar with an Invisibrake braking system. I’ve towed this toad over 12,000 miles with absolutely no problems at all. I rarely know that it is back there at all. Not sure why you are having the problems you’re having, but I would think your motorhome should tow it with no problem.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:53 AM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #13281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
I tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind a 2017 Challenger 37LX. Using a Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar with an Invisibrake braking system. I’ve towed this toad over 12,000 miles with absolutely no problems at all. I rarely know that it is back there at all. Not sure why you are having the problems you’re having, but I would think your motorhome should tow it with no problem.

I’m towing a 2018 JLU with an 2018 ACE with no issues.
Towed it with a Fleetwood Bounder too with no problems.
That only says it can be done, wish I could offer a fix. Maybe watching it in the camera ?
Old 10-18-2018, 04:00 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We tow our 2013 unlimited behind our 17 freedom elite 30fe with no problems at all don’t even know it’s back there. Just got back from a trip to Disney and back about 2600 miles round trip was easily able to go 70 to 75 down the freeway. We have road master set up with the all terrain falcon tow bar and invisibrake
Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Sorry you're having issues.

I tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler with the Blue Ox set-up across the board: Tow bar, base plate & Patriot II brake system.

I haven't had any issues yet either. I've towed about 2,500 miles so far.

I have to keep the rear view display on to make sure I know it's back there.

Everything on my Jeep is stock (Wheels/Tires/Shocks, etc).

Did you upgrade anything on yours? Wondering of that might be playing into it.

p.s. - I try to keep the Jeep to 1/2 tank or less of gas to lessen the wieght and help out with MPG.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #8

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
2016 Axis ,towed 16 jeep patriot 4x4 and now 17 jeep trail hawk with no problems.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Your JL should not be part of the "jeep death wobble".

Have you lifted your Wrangler?

How much differance between the height of you hitch and where your tow bar attaches to the jeep?
It should be no more than 3inches.

Check your towbar to make sure that both arms are fully extended and locked.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post

Check your towbar to make sure that both arms are fully extended and locked.

This is good advice. I once started pulling my Jeep and one of the arms did not lock automatically as it should. It created big problems trying to tow. I was already on the Freeway, but pulled over as soon as I could and corrected the problem. I now check to ensure both arms are locked before pulling away every time I tow.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
I have read that the 2018 JL Wranglers have electric steering that can cause problems. The 2017 and older have hydraulic steering and don't have the issues. I believe that Chrysler has a kit that will fix this (assuming that is the issue). I don't have any experience with this but if you do a web search, you can read up on the potential issues with electric steering and towing 4 down.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #12

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I have read that the 2018 JL Wranglers have electric steering that can cause problems. The 2017 and older have hydraulic steering and don't have the issues. I believe that Chrysler has a kit that will fix this (assuming that is the issue). I don't have any experience with this but if you do a web search, you can read up on the potential issues with electric steering and towing 4 down.
Could you post a link to the "death wobble" JL, I can't find it.

I did find this about towing the 2018 JL, no mention of the wiring harness or death wobble.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...d-an-rv.16859/

Jeep started selling Cherokee KL's in 2014, found out about the "death wobble" in 2015, fixed it with a $700 (parts and labor) wiring harness in 2015 AND FINALLY fixed it for the 2019's.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Could you post a link to the "death wobble" JL, I can't find it.
It's a name tailor made for the headlines: The "Jeep Death Wobble." ... The wobble is a harmonic resonance resulting from a loose or worn part in the steering or suspension, such as a tie rod end, and usually set off by hitting a bump at a certain speed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It's a name tailor made for the headlines: The "Jeep Death Wobble." ... The wobble is a harmonic resonance resulting from a loose or worn part in the steering or suspension, such as a tie rod end, and usually set off by hitting a bump at a certain speed.
So you're saying brand new vehicles have worn steering parts that cause a "death wobble"?

I don't think so, Lucy.

This "death wobble" is not limited to Jeeps and is caused by the way they engineered the Electric Assisted Power Steering.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Wyn take a look at Tfryman's post. Your new stock jeep is not likely to have the death wobble as it is called. I think I would check out the post about electric steering but would also take it to my local alignment shop and as them about it, not the dealer but a good aftermarket shop. here is a video about the death wobble:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C563&FORM=VIRE
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Wyn take a look at Tfryman's post. Your new stock jeep is not likely to have the death wobble as it is called. I think I would check out the post about electric steering but would also take it to my local alignment shop and as them about it, not the dealer but a good aftermarket shop. here is a video about the death wobble:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C563&FORM=VIRE
Those videos show the "death wobble" caused by worn/mis-aligned parts that Beau388 was referring to; not the death wobble that occurs when flat towing an Electric Assist Power Steered vehicle.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/f...obble-4168290/

https://community.fmca.com/topic/120...ing-2014-2018/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #17
Wyn

State: New York
THOR #12514
Thanks for your suggestions, my Jeep has about 1600 miles on it and it is completely stock, so I am confident the tires and steering components are still in excellent condition. Regarding the death wobble, I have not experienced this driving the Jeep, would this occur only when towing it? When I did tow it, I watched the Jeep in the backup camera, and everything looked good, the Jeep seems to track smoothly behind the motorhome, I did not notice any vibration or swaying from the Jeep. The problem seems to be holding the motorhome in its lane, almost as if the front tires were not fully contacting the road, although the motorhome sits level with the Jeep attached, and the tow bar is also level. I believe the tow bar latches were both locked into place. What are your thoughts about installing upgraded anti-sway bars or some other upgrade to help this issue.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #18

State: Maryland
THOR #11820
We have the 2018 Chateau 24F, prior to that we had a 2005 Chateau 24 feet, both with the V10 engine. And the jeep Cherokee 2015 with the wobble. Ultimately Chrysler Fiat put on the wiring harness and reimbursed me. We have had no problems flat towing using these two motor homes. However, I do have other problems with the 2018 24F that I will post about soon.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 30.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
I have a 2018 Chateau 24F and tow a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 4 door. I am using a Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate and use a Patriot II braking system. The Motorhome handles fine when driven solo, however it does get pushed around in windy conditions. When I tow the Jeep, the motorhome feels like the Jeep is pushing the rear of the motorhome from side to side, making it very difficult to hold the combination in the lane. It is so bad, that after towing about 20 miles on the Interstate, I turned around and dropped off the Jeep at home and proceeded on our trip without it.

The weights of the vehicles are:
Motorhome: GVWR 12,500#, GCWR 18,500#, Cargo Capacity 1345#
Jeep: Gross weight between 4010# and 4500#

The motorhome has plenty of power to pull the Jeep, and the braking system seems to work properly too.

My questions are, is this Motorhome suitable to tow the Jeep, and if so, what suggestions do you have to allow me to correct this poor handling?
That's odd, I bought a Jeep (2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU) specifically because they are great toads. My first thought is are you doing an "S" after you first hook up the tow bar? I was told to do an "S" to make sure both arms get properly locked into place. Also, are you putting the transfer case in neutral the right way? I have towed my Jeep for about 6000 miles and never had a problem.

BTW, I'm Towing with a Thor ACE 30.3.

Good Luck,

Ken
Old 10-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #20

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Jeep tow

We have a 32’ Chateau and use the Blue Ox tow bar with no issues at all. The jeep wobble issue was years ago and not happenings with newer jeeps. Is the tow bar locking full out when you start to go? Are you putting jeep in Park, then 4WD, then to Neutral then put into Low, then leave in Low and put jeep into Park with parking brake off. We experience no wind handling issues with or without the Jeep being towed. In fact we can’t even tell we’re towing the jeep. Our Chateau has a 10k tow capacity.