Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
It Happened....

Well, it happened to us. Our RV was parked in our driveway and a driver with a so-called medical condition, claimed to have blacked out and smashed into our motorhome. Have never had to file a claim before and we have the Hartford through AARP. I do nor know what type of insurance coverage the ,ahh, idiot has. I have full coverage myself, we are wondering about loss of use and diminished value. Has anyone else had dealings with claims at the Hartford?

Old 01-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it wouldn't necessarily be 'the hartford', it would be the guilty party's insurance company paying the claim - get a policy accident report, call his/her company and start a claim - simple.

if you don't like the outcome, then contact you own company and see if they can help or intervene.

it's no different than any other auto or home insurance claim...
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Depending on your rv it might be complicated.

Class A, trailers and 5th wheels are pretty easy, take it to your rv dealer.

B C B+ and C+ maybe not so easy, a visit to the chassis (Ford mb, chev, etc) dealer might also be necessary.

Working with someone else's insurance DO NOT sign any type of release until you're 100% satisfied .
Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If Arizona works like New York (no guarantees..): you might have a choice to make:
1. Have your insurance company pay the claim, and have them file a subrogation claim against the other person's insurance company.
2. Have the other guy's company pay the claim from the start.

If you choose "1": you'd be out your deductible for a collision claim; until your company collects from the other party.
If you choose "2": you might be in for a battle over the evaluation of the claim.

Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
i would notify your own insurance company but not file a claim yet unless they require it. Try to work it through his insurance company if they seem to want to play right. But, mostly follow your own insurance company's guidelines and advice.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Make sure you get and keep in your file a police report for the accident. We had a hit and run, had the report and Progressive listed it as an "at fault" accident and increased our rate until we caught them. Had to provide the copy of the report from the police where is indicated hit and run, not at fault. Got a correction, but no refund on paid premiums.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Call The Hartford and file a claim or you can do it on their website (which I prefer). Here in Texas, the insurance company has four working days to file with the insurance commissioner the adjusters report or explain why the delay. Pick a repair place or ask where The Hartford recommends. Iron Horse RV (not a dealer of any brand of coach) has fixed my coach twice with in five weeks of the accidents with Thor MC supplying the required parts. Total cost $15,676. My insurance cost did not increase.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
In the past I have had better luck taking the subrogation route that dealing with other peoples insurance. I have had my damaged vehicles returned quicker with my insurance handling the claim and all but once received a refund on my deductible.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:50 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
In the past I have had better luck taking the subrogation route that dealing with other peoples insurance. I have had my damaged vehicles returned quicker with my insurance handling the claim and all but once received a refund on my deductible.
I would second that route as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:10 AM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
According to your statement he really did not have a medical condition and did not actually black out. He was just an "idiot". My guess is that he wanted to make you have to deal with insurance and hopefully your rates would go up. Correct? Or am I asking the wrong "person"?

Bill
Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
According to your statement he really did not have a medical condition and did not actually black out. He was just an "idiot". My guess is that he wanted to make you have to deal with insurance and hopefully your rates would go up. Correct? Or am I asking the wrong "person"?

Bill
Not sure who that is directed toward.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #12

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
It is directed to the person that made these claims in the original post..

Bill
Old 01-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #13

THOR #2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

Bill
He claimed to have a medical condition, but did not know what it is, but he must have, because he blacked out Those were his words, not mine. Going the second option of dealing with my insurance company and let them fight the battle. I'll be out my deductible unless they can recover it.Click image for larger version

Name:	accident.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	15106
Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If he does have a "medical condition": then the State should pull his license; pending a medical exam...

... If we wants to stay with that story.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #15

THOR #2878
From what we have learned, 5 time convicted felon and convicted of giving false information to the police in the past. My bad for thinking my motor home was safe in the driveway on a straight stretch of road. Prior to hitting our rv he destroyed the neighbors car that was 150 feet before our rv.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #16

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I really hate hearing that you had that happen to you. Please keep us informed of the outcome. I hope things go in your favor.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #17

THOR #2878
Thank You, I will! Waiting on the estimate from the body shop that fortunately does a lot of motorhome work. Owner came out to our house and spent 1 1/2 hours going over the entire RV. Shop is well recommended. have to wait and see. Hope the insurance company returns my call that I placed yesterday. Had trips planned but have had to cancel. Last year, when we bought the unit, we could not go anywhere because my wife had to deal with a 4th round of breast cancer. She is cancer free now and had planned on going a lot more places this spring. Hopefully it will not take too long.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #18

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I hope the body shop can get fixed and back to quickly. It would be a shame to have to cancel your plans. :/
Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #19

THOR #2878
Ended up having to call his insurance carrier and they would not even tell me what type of coverage he has. Though from what I gleaned from the conversation he has just the minimum. Waiting on estimate and authority to proceed with repairs. Our insurance company has only offered us a 20 dollar a day loss of use up to 600 dollars. This should get interesting
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6959
[emoji106]