Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #1

State: Florida
THOR #6491
Happy or unhappy ACE owners

We are looking at New ACE 27 ft.
Any thing we should know. Is the ride smooth, etc.
Thanks
Mac and Mattie

Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
If you peruse these forums, you'll note a couple of recurring issues almost all Thors built on the Ford F53 chassis have.

#1 -- quality of manufacturing by Thor -- seems to be getting worse as they crank out more units to meet demand; however, QC issues are present in most any RV. It generally takes time and patience to work through them, which is eminently doable, just frustrating. A good way to mitigate some of this is to either buy from or have access to a good dealer. Dealers tend to be busy this time of year and it is not unusual for units to sit on their lots for weeks and months awaiting repairs. The Thor factory Service Center reportedly does excellent work; you just need to get it there. A thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection) by someone familiar with motorhomes is a must so you can identify all the obvious stuff (of which there will be at least some), and arrange for it to get repaired under warranty. It just takes time to get these things dialed-in, but it can be done with a little perseverance.

The next significant issue you'll likely encounter concerns the F53 chassis. It is inherently unstable (and, to some, even frightening). But this too can be overcome; however, it will cost. Most folks start with the cheap handling fix (CHF), which you'll see referenced throughout theses forums. It involves relocating the bolts on the front sway bar. Another popular addition is a steering stabilizer, more for emergency handling (e.g., front tire blow out) than for comfort. Be sure to get a front end alignment with the coach loaded as you would normally travel. Most everyone who does this finds the linkage to be out of spec from the get go. After that you may wish to add heavy duty sway bars to mitigate the swaying encountered when being passed by large trucks and\or crosswinds. There are other improvements, but you probably want to address them incrementally until you are comfortable with the handling.

Net: suggest you read though this site as it will give you quite an education. Additionally, there is a lot of help here as well to assist/advise you on just about every aspect of motorhome ownership. Just don't be scared off by the negatives as they can be overcome.

Best of luck!!!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #3

THOR #6491
Thank you.
We have a C class and would like smothered ride and more space.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Well written
Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
Morse space = probably, dependant on your Class C size and floor plan.

Our ACE is a 2014 29.2, which is totally usable with the slide (containing the galley and dinette) retracted, and surprisingly spacious with it deployed.

Smoother ride = doubtful without significant suspension upgrades.

At the end of the day it is built on a heavy duty truck chassis so you're not going to get the ride you would with an air suspension equipped DP nor your car/pick-up, but with the right suspension upgrades it can be more manageable and less fatiguing from a handling perspective.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 AM   #6

State: Montana
THOR #4727
We have a 30.1 and it is entertaining keeping it on the road. Side winds and semis keep you wide awake. Our biggest issue is with water leaks. Some have been bad enough that it resulted in damage to the subfloor and damage to the back wall. Both passenger and driver side windows leak. Both slides leak. We bought it used so we don’t have a warranty. The steering problems are fixable the leaks are a different story. I don’t know if there are better options but I would avoid anything made by Thor, They seem to have quality control issues.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:37 AM   #7
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1 View Post
We are looking at New ACE 27 ft.
Any thing we should know. Is the ride smooth, etc.
Thanks
Mac and Mattie
Have you looked at the Windsport? We are happy with ours. Guess your not getting shocks on yours now. With the alignment and suspension upgrades ours tracks straight down the road and no effort to drive.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Mattie we have a 2015 Windsport 27K as far as the handling when I first got it, it was awful couldn’t control it and struggled to get it over 50mph with out fighting the wind and truck push. The steering stabilizer controlled some but not much more of a safety device. I had the coach weighed set proper tire pressure still had issues. After reading on the forum went to our local truck center and had front wheel alignment done OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE on the drive home I was one handed on the interstate and got up to 70MPH before I realized how fast I was going. About a month later had truck center do CHF and it drives like a dream. If mine wasn’t so new I would be looking at the new 27B I really like that floor plan with the dinette and couch. Hopefully seeing you in the fall at the rally

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
The CHF is a relocation of the bolts on both the front and rear sway bar links. It will stiffen up the ride and provide much less sway when passing or being passed by semis. Having the correct tire pressure will also help make for a softer ride (less bump impact.) An alignment will help as well (and should be one of the first things done if purchased new.)

Good luck! Just remember that it will not ever ride like a sports car (or even a subcompact junker.) It is a truck and a house all going down the road together.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #10

THOR #6491
Thank you Kev. We are thing in that direction. You went to general for yours?
Thanks
Mac and Mattie
Old 05-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #11

THOR #6491
Thank you. See you in October at rally.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1 View Post
Thank you Kev. We are thing in that direction. You went to general for yours?
Thanks
Mac and Mattie
Yes. Windsport is now making a 27B.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We have a 2017 ACE 30.1 and I’d put ourselves in the basically happy category, but tempered by expectations. We got basically what we expected - a coach that has Class C trim level in a roomier Class A format.

We were close to buying a Jayco Greyhawk when we found the ACE. We also looked at a couple of Georgetown 3 series and a Fleetwood Flair - all in the same length of 30-31 feet. In hindsight, we may have been a little happier with the Flair (at a price of around $15K more). I think reality is that you will likely need to put about 10% of the purchase price into improvements and fixes no matter what you buy. Thor would rather transfer this cost to you instead of providing what is really needed. In a way I’m glad they don’t do that, as now I got a choice of what to put in and what quality to use (plus my installation work is better than theirs).

We’ve had the usual quality issues, but nothing we couldn’t fix. We never had to do the warranty dance with CW. I found 3 120 AC circuits landed on the wrong breakers, had to reattach the drawer slides on 3 drawers and had an issue with water getting into the furnace circuit board mounting area. Compared to many, we have gotten off very light.

We’ve made our share of upgrades. DW replaced all of the blinds and front curtains with curtains she made. I’ve added a See-Level unit w/ sensors, a Trimetric battery monitor and 200 watts of solar on the roof with a Bogart SC-2030 solar controller. Latest upgrade was tearing out the jack knife couch (a couple of slightly padded boards) with a pair of RecPro recliners. Also replaced the OEM WFCO converter with a Progresive Dynamics and replaced the failed Harris batteries with a pair of 6V Interstates within the first 6 months. (Forget trying to get Harris batteries replaced on warranty)

The biggest surprise (which I would have known if I’d done more research) was the things we had to do to the suspension to get a reasonable ride. This is an area where the manufacturers need to address. A stock F-53 chassis is at best marginal and can be really dangerous.

First thing was to get the coach aligned. Then we ended up adding a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, replaced the OEM Bilstiens with Koni FSD shocks and added a SuperSteer rear track bar. Also did the CHF front and rear. So now its to the point where the thing handles fairly well, though we do get some sway on mountain roads - maybe Sumo Springs next. All the fixes contributed something, but the track bar was by far the biggest improvement. It made the push and suck of passing trucks pretty much go away.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #14

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #5584
You're getting great advice here, which I wish we'd had when we started with ours! So I won't repeat it, only urge you to take it to heart, since we've had to do all of it. We have a 2015 27.1, so I can speak to that one a bit. Like some of the others, the 27.1 is usable with the slide retracted. You'll have to ease down the hallway sideways, and crawl over the bed to get to the other side. You can access the two upper closets, but not the lower one, and the two drawers are off limits with the slide in! If you keep clothes in the drawer and expect to camp with the slide in, make sure you get what you need out of the drawers before you take off! We found that out the hard way when a slide motor burned out, thankfully with the slide already in.

You'd mentioned more space; you must have one of the smaller Class C's. Frankly, on our six week trip last year, with two people and two cats, we were wishing we'd gotten a unit a couple of feet longer! Great for shorter trips, though, and the long trip was really a kind of a shakedown for us, the first trip longer than a weekend, so that may have had something to it. We've taken a several one to three week trips since that one, and have been fine with it.

Smaller coach means smaller tanks. The black tank fills up in two or three days. Showers and dishes and such will fill the grey tank even faster. Admittedly we're not being very conservative, but we can't seem to get very close to what folks with larger coaches report.

Smaller coach also means it's livelier and nimbler that larger ones build on the same chassis, and a little better gas mileage, not that it's great. You can get in and out of tight spaces like Pilot gas stations (usually).

Things that make you go "hmm..." They claim it will sleep six, but only has seat belts for five. It's got a king bed (sorta), but the next two or three models only have queens. TVs rely on the TV speakers, not the ones built in. We changed that to improve the sound quality. Oh, and we have three TVs. We don't have three TVs in the stick home!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #15

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
So far so good. We had a C class and the Ace handles better. I checked with Thor and found that unloaded, use 80 lbs in the rear tires and 75 in the front...much better. Still the same RV movement in the wind etc and I think you'll find that on most.
Our warranty work has been minor and please remember, if you see these forums and think that most RVs seem to be falling apart in front of our eyes, you have to acknowledge the fact that not many people will come on here and say, "hey, I'm just writing to say that I have nothing to write about." You are driving a heavy vehicle and a house...both...and we all own vehicles and houses and know, there are problems with most. On top of that, we don't drag our houses around on crumbling highways and bridges like an RV making it even more possible for problems.

I have found the techs at THor's toll free number know what they're talking about and are polite, in most cases, dealing with questions.
HOpe you enjoy your ride. I guess we could say, if you don't want to have any problems at all, don't RV. I've talked to folks with little tiny TT up to million dollar buses and they all have their quirks and/or problems. One thing is usually a "certain," most have fun with them. Enjoy.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
. Since I'm also moving up and don't have a f53 chassis, I can't give advice on that but I'm curious if you've driven the Axis/Vegas line and how it compares to the Ace?
The Axis now has a 27.1
The helpful forum indicates the Axis/Vegas also requires drive tuning (safe t plus, beefier swaybars, alignment upon purchase, sumo Springs etc) good luck and report back please
The point to my understanding of the forum wisdom is all models apparently require fine tuning
Old 05-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #17

THOR #9033
THere is a quick and cheap (??) fix for some handling problems...which seem to be on every coach unless you're well into six figures and then they have their problems. The dealer told us about a sway bar (I guess) adjustment on the front where the dealer put the bolts in another "hole" and got better handling. When I drove the coach the first tiem...the 27.2 that is....I wasn't impressed. They changed and made the fix and it did help dramatically. The tires were underinflated too and when I put the proper air in, what a difference. I haven't gone to the addons since I don't see a need right now. I have had ours up to 70 and I'm still here to talk about it....calm day, no trucks and it was peachy. THe dealership said it was a $200 fix since it took the better part of an hour and rates these days is aroudn $150/hr. It did help but be sure the tires have the proper inflation and we ride "empty" or with about a third of a tank of fresh water and that's it....minus the golf bags, supplies, etc but we're not talking loaded tanks. Remember, in a car, seldom is said about tire inflation, even when you add 4 people in the back and that could be another 600 lbs easy. The alignment has always been an issue on RVs it seems and you can spend a lot to get a little. SOmetimes I think it's just that a house does not drive like your SUV or your car and we get antsy. Remember, we don't live in a perfect world and if you watch the news, you'll certainly know this!!!! Also, watch the big boxes pass at 80 mph and then sway and wonder over the road as they pull back in and head on up the road....only to be met at the next rest area. I drive around 62-65, stay in the right hand lane and watch the world go by....kick in the cruise and I don't play the in and out game I used to with the 4 wheeler. Actually, it's more relaxing that way....remember the ambling-along tortoise? You have your house right there behind you....what's the hurry?

Here's the youtube on the sway bar fix....I had the dealer do it before he delivered it and he had no problem with that...

Old 05-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #18

THOR #6491
We have a safety T sway bar on our C MH. Looking for more room.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
THere is a quick and cheap (??) fix for some handling problems...which seem to be on every coach unless you're well into six figures and then they have their problems. The dealer told us about a sway bar (I guess) adjustment on the front where the dealer put the bolts in another "hole" and got better handling. When I drove the coach the first tiem...the 27.2 that is....I wasn't impressed. They changed and made the fix and it did help dramatically. The tires were underinflated too and when I put the proper air in, what a difference. I haven't gone to the addons since I don't see a need right now. I have had ours up to 70 and I'm still here to talk about it....calm day, no trucks and it was peachy. THe dealership said it was a $200 fix since it took the better part of an hour and rates these days is aroudn $150/hr. It did help but be sure the tires have the proper inflation and we ride "empty" or with about a third of a tank of fresh water and that's it....minus the golf bags, supplies, etc but we're not talking loaded tanks. Remember, in a car, seldom is said about tire inflation, even when you add 4 people in the back and that could be another 600 lbs easy. The alignment has always been an issue on RVs it seems and you can spend a lot to get a little. SOmetimes I think it's just that a house does not drive like your SUV or your car and we get antsy. Remember, we don't live in a perfect world and if you watch the news, you'll certainly know this!!!! Also, watch the big boxes pass at 80 mph and then sway and wonder over the road as they pull back in and head on up the road....only to be met at the next rest area. I drive around 62-65, stay in the right hand lane and watch the world go by....kick in the cruise and I don't play the in and out game I used to with the 4 wheeler. Actually, it's more relaxing that way....remember the ambling-along tortoise? You have your house right there behind you....what's the hurry?

Here's the youtube on the sway bar fix....I had the dealer do it before he delivered it and he had no problem with that...

Yup: CHF search the forums for that you'll find it everywhere. Only valid for motorhomes on the Ford F-53 chassis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #20

THOR #9033
We had a 26HE for a few months and liked it but it lacked the space in the living area. We traded for the ACE that now also has a slide in the living area in addition to the bedroom. We still would like to have a bed that doesn't fold up when the slide is closed.....maybe later but we love the extra 3' in the living area,,along with the workstation on the dash tha tgets the computer out of the way.