Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #15026
Help! Issue With WiFi Sky Ranger on 2019 Hurricane 29M

Need Help With WiFI Sky Ranger on 2019 Hurricane. We have been successfully connected to this network since Monday. All of a sudden, it disappeared from our list of networks. Is there a power source that we can cut off and back on to re-set it? Any help with this issue would be GREATFULLY appreciated!

Old 08-30-2019, 02:07 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Do you know for sure that where ever you were connected did not shut off there router? Especially if you are seeing other sources but this one now.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
tell us first 'how' you connect to this network.... do mean it just shows as a 'wifi' source in your list on your computer, and you simply click on it to 'connect' to it?

if so, 'what' source then is this Wifi signal connected to? Another wifi source?
if so, when did you originally pick this wifi source?

My older Wifi Ranger, which is an external 'roof mount' type antenna, with a cable that enters the coach and terminates at a 'brick', which is a router, and then plugs into 120v power, sometimes will disappear, essentially losing it's 120v power for a minute, before powering back up and showing again in my list of wifi connections. Annoying, but true.

Your setup certainly also has some type of power source, either 12v, or more likely 120v and plugged into an outlet somewhere, maybe in a cabinet, or behind a false cabinet wall, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #4

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
tell us first 'how' you connect to this network.... do mean it just shows as a 'wifi' source in your list on your computer, and you simply click on it to 'connect' to it?

if so, 'what' source then is this Wifi signal connected to? Another wifi source?
if so, when did you originally pick this wifi source?

My older Wifi Ranger, which is an external 'roof mount' type antenna, with a cable that enters the coach and terminates at a 'brick', which is a router, and then plugs into 120v power, sometimes will disappear, essentially losing it's 120v power for a minute, before powering back up and showing again in my list of wifi connections. Annoying, but true.

Your setup certainly also has some type of power source, either 12v, or more likely 120v and plugged into an outlet somewhere, maybe in a cabinet, or behind a false cabinet wall, etc.
Sorry, still new to knowing what to post. We are at a campground that has WiFi they only give you two log-in codes and we have multiple devices. We thought this would be the time to use our Sky Ranger for the first time for "one" of the long in codes. We set up the Sky Ranger, changed our password to something personal and we were fine until yesterday. When I went to "available" networks, Sky Ranger was listed as one of our available networks. We had checked "connect automatically" and had no problem Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and part of Thursday. At that point Sky Ranger "disappeared" and we could not even bring up the website using my husband's hot spot device (very limited data so we don't use much). Even using the hot spot, every time we tried to go to our "saved" control log-in page, we would get a message saying it was not there. As of today, Sky Ranger is still missing from our available networks on our computer.

Hope this helps but please let me know if you have more questions or if someone with a 2019 Hurricane 29M knows where our Sky Ranger is connected (i.e. where the power source is and what type).

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Do you know for sure that where ever you were connected did not shut off there router? Especially if you are seeing other sources but this one now.

The campground gave us two connection codes and so my husband tried the next code and said he connected but the internet source he connected to was slow and he said that Sky Ranger shut down on that one as well. When we pull up available networks, all of the campground WiFi networks are still showing as being their, just not our Sky Ranger network.

Hope this answers your questions but let me know if you have any more. This "issue" has gotten my husband so upset because he can't figure our why it worked for three and 1/2 days and then stopped. Also he looked at the coaches schematics and never could find anything that shows where the Sky Ranger power source is or how to access it.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

THOR #4735
I imagine that since it worked well for several days, it's not a 'working' problem, but more of a 'power' problem... have you noticed any other outlets in your coach not working? Plug something into all of them and make sure.
Have you checked all your breakers in your Main Panel?
Have you checked all your fuses in your Fuse Panel?

Are you on 50amp shore power?
Do you also have an Inverter?

and yes, you are doing the right thing by using the Sky Ranger to provide a 'single' connection via the campground's wifi network, as we've seen the same thing at some campgrounds that use 'TengoNet', which requires a 'coupon' for a free connection, or to 'pay' for additional connections, etc.... kinda crazy in my book.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #7

THOR #15026
Quote:
I imagine that since it worked well for several days, it's not a 'working' problem, but more of a 'power' problem... have you noticed any other outlets in your coach not working? Plug something into all of them and make sure.
Have you checked all your breakers in your Main Panel?
Have you checked all your fuses in your Fuse Panel?

Are you on 50amp shore power?
Do you also have an Inverter?

and yes, you are doing the right thing by using the Sky Ranger to provide a 'single' connection via the campground's wifi network, as we've seen the same thing at some campgrounds that use 'TengoNet', which requires a 'coupon' for a free connection, or to 'pay' for additional connections, etc.... kinda crazy in my book.
My husband says he checked the fuses and checked the breakers and said he did not see an issue. My husband worked with electricity, circuits, process instrumentation, etc. for a living which is why this has him so flustered. As he keeps saying "This should be simple for me to figure out but I don't even know where to look to "fix" it."
Old 08-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

THOR #4735
many new RVrs who have what they consider to be 'substantial' backgrounds in electrical, etc., find that mobile RVs are a different animal - using several different power sources, so therefore there are more things to consider.

Make sure, first, that ALL of your other outlets and devices and fans and appliances are 'working' before you proceed. This may give a clue as to why the SKy Ranger is no longer powered.

Again, are you a 50amp coach, plugged into a 50amp RV outlet?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:44 AM   #9

THOR #15026
Quote:
many new RVrs who have what they consider to be 'substantial' backgrounds in electrical, etc., find that mobile RVs are a different animal - using several different power sources, so therefore there are more things to consider.

Make sure, first, that ALL of your other outlets and devices and fans and appliances are 'working' before you proceed. This may give a clue as to why the SKy Ranger is no longer powered.

Yes, we are a 50 amp coach and use an EMS Protector plugged into the 50 amp RV outlet
Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 AM   #10

THOR #15026
Quote:

We could not find any outlets, devices or fans that weren't working. Now for the kicker, after we checked out of the RV park, my husband was following me in this truck and says Sky Ranger popped up as an available network. Now that we are back home, I go to my saved page for Sky Ranger Control and IT'S THERE.

I guess now the biggest question we still need answered is "where" should be check/troubleshoot the device if this happens on another camping trip. Anyone with a 2019 Hurricane 29M that knows where to look, please let us know. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2019, 01:08 AM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
We could not find any outlets, devices or fans that weren't working. Now for the kicker, after we checked out of the RV park, my husband was following me in this truck and says Sky Ranger popped up as an available network. Now that we are back home, I go to my saved page for Sky Ranger Control and IT'S THERE.

I guess now the biggest question we still need answered is "where" should be check/troubleshoot the device if this happens on another camping trip. Anyone with a 2019 Hurricane 29M that knows where to look, please let us know. Thanks!

While I don’t have the specific Sky Ranger, I have used similar setups...

First the admin page will ONLY be accessible when connected to the Sky Ranger network... not from any other network or hotspot.

The fact that it came back on while driving suggests it lives on the 12V side of things as I would hope it did... I would look for a loose connection along the way.

And yes, these devices are good for getting around device limits at campgrounds... and having to program all your devices for each new network...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 AM   #12

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
While I don’t have the specific Sky Ranger, I have used similar setups...

First the admin page will ONLY be accessible when connected to the Sky Ranger network... not from any other network or hotspot.

The fact that it came back on while driving suggests it lives on the 12V side of things as I would hope it did... I would look for a loose connection along the way.

And yes, these devices are good for getting around device limits at campgrounds... and having to program all your devices for each new network...
Thank you so much. I think that will give my husband something to go with. When you say loose connection, would you suggest we start from the roof? Also we still don't know where the connection is "stored" or threaded into the RV so if no loose connections are visible on the roof we still don't know if there is a "hidden" place where the "guts" are house inside the RV.