Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2016, 03:15 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
Posts: 215
THOR #4986
Help Rancid Oder !

After unhooking at the camp site this afternoon I went inside and was greeted by the most rancid oder I think I've ever encountered. After a quick check I found it was coming from under the bathroom sink. I turned on the vent fan and after a short time it had pretty much dissipated. The black tank was empty and clean because it wasn't used at this point. A few dishes were rinsed so there was a small amount in the gray tank. The oder didn't appear until after I unhooked the water source. Any ideas on where the source of this foul stench may have come from and can I expect it again. What can be done about it? Thanks for any help.
__________________

__________________
Jerry B.
USAF (Retired E-8) Vietnam Vet
2017 Vegas 25.2
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 1,833
THOR #3510
Your bathroom sink drains into the black water tank by design. Perhaps, since the tank was dry..there may have been something left behind...you might run water from your sink and toilet into the tank, add your tank product, and see if that helps. Your fresh water is...fresh? not old, correct ?

that's all we got !! keep us informed...we have never had a problem like that...we do keep our black water tank well hydrated. Even when parked in the driveway.
__________________

__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
with hitch mounted motorcycle rack
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 854
THOR #1249
Could be the air admittance valve under the sink. It is supposed to provide a one way vent for drain into the black tank. If it is not functioning properly it will do just what you are smelling. Check out the recent discussion on just that problem here; Controlling Sewer Gas
Good luck.
__________________
MR 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 in Ocala
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
Posts: 215
THOR #4986
Thanks guys I'll check it out using your info. Appreciate your time, thanks again.
__________________
Jerry B.
USAF (Retired E-8) Vietnam Vet
2017 Vegas 25.2
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
State: Florida
Posts: 147
THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Your bathroom sink drains into the black water tank by design. Perhaps, since the tank was dry..there may have been something left behind...you might run water from your sink and toilet into the tank, add your tank product, and see if that helps. Your fresh water is...fresh? not old, correct ?

that's all we got !! keep us informed...we have never had a problem like that...we do keep our black water tank well hydrated. Even when parked in the driveway.


How do you know if bathroom sink water drains into your black water tank? Newbie sorry.
__________________
Mattie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Miramar Owner's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
Posts: 598
THOR #4488
I have a similar story. I thought the smell was coming from under the sink but turned out to be coming down in the wall near the roof sewer vent. The sewer vent pipe you see on the roof has the actual sewer vent pipe (much smaller) inside of it. When I took the cap off I could see the gap between the outside white PVC pipe and the inside (smaller and black) sewer vent pipe. I calked around that pipe, sealing the gap and no more problems. I actually got this advice from Thor. They explained sometimes wind can cause the smell to vent down between the 2 pipes. You can also mount a special vent topper that does a better job of pulling the odor away but calking solved my problem.
__________________
Miramar Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 1,833
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1 View Post
How do you know if bathroom sink water drains into your black water tank? Newbie sorry.
Our Axis is set up this way...2 previous motorhomes were setup the same way...you will not find this info in your owners manual...it is something we all learn as we go.
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
with hitch mounted motorcycle rack
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Challenger 37ND
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,110
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1 View Post
How do you know if bathroom sink water drains into your black water tank? Newbie sorry.
The best way to know for sure is to empty both waste tanks and the close them off. Run the water in the bathroom sink and then drain then waste tanks. Whichever one contains water is the one the sink drains into.

Short of that, contact Thor and ask them for the waste water diagrams for your model coach. On my coach the toilet only goes into the black tank. Driver's side fixtures (kitchen and bathroom sinks) drain into the front grey tank and passenger's side fixtures (shower and outdoor kitchen sink) drain into the rear grey tank. If I had a washing machine it would also drain into the rear grey tank.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
State: Florida
Posts: 147
THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The best way to know for sure is to empty both waste tanks and the close them off. Run the water in the bathroom sink and then drain then waste tanks. Whichever one contains water is the one the sink drains into.



Short of that, contact Thor and ask them for the waste water diagrams for your model coach. On my coach the toilet only goes into the black tank. Driver's side fixtures (kitchen and bathroom sinks) drain into the front grey tank and passenger's side fixtures (shower and outdoor kitchen sink) drain into the rear grey tank. If I had a washing machine it would also drain into the rear grey tank.


Thank you
__________________
Mattie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
Posts: 6
THOR #7460
New owner of a used 2015 Axis 24.1.

I also noticed a bad smell in the area of the kitchen sink. I thought the traps dried out or been sucked empty when dumping tanks.

Careful investigation showed that the air admittance valve (aka, vacuum break) on the 1 1/2 sink drainage line below the sink is missing. It's probably been that way since the unit was manufactured since its clear that there is insufficient space to install the value with the current configuration. Helps to explain why the previous owners had air fresheners in the RV.

I love my RV but I have to say that I am not impressed with Thor quality control.

FYI -- A link to the Thor diagram of the waste system showing the expected air admittance valve is found in this post.
__________________
RacerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,686
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerJohn View Post
New owner of a used 2015 Axis 24.1.

I also noticed a bad smell in the area of the kitchen sink. I thought the traps dried out or been sucked empty when dumping tanks.

Careful investigation showed that the air admittance valve (aka, vacuum break) on the 1 1/2 sink drainage line below the sink is missing. It's probably been that way since the unit was manufactured since its clear that there is insufficient space to install the value with the current configuration. Helps to explain why the previous owners had air fresheners in the RV.

I love my RV but I have to say that I am not impressed with Thor quality control.

FYI -- A link to the Thor diagram of the waste system showing the expected air admittance valve is found in this post.
You might be able to contact Thor and get all the diagrams specific to your coach. (Yeah I had incorrectly posted that a while ago--note that there is discussion in that thread about posting those.)
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,593
THOR #5196
When I checked the air admittance valves under my sinks both were only screwed in about one turn, surprised they didn't fall off. I removed the valves, wrapped the threads with teflon, replaced and tightened securely. I also changed out both the black and gray rooftop vents, replaced them with the 360 vents. Prior to my work we frequently got sewer smell in the bathroom, now nothing.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #13
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
Posts: 48
THOR #6698
And here I thought the traps had dried out in mine. I also have a 2015 Axis 24.1. Time for a closer inspection of the plumbing...
__________________

__________________
2015 Axis 24.1
2005 Toyota 4Runner toad
Mauserdude67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2