Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Help! Water pressure regulator problem!

Hey gang, I just got set up on our first trip, hooked up the hoses to city water and included is my brand new (and not cheap) water pressure regulator that don't seem to be regulating. Here's the order I have everything in: I have a "Y" splitter at the spicket, two 25' hoses (need every foot of them, but they're not kinked or stretched too tightly), an in-line water filter. I've opened all the faucets inside, as well as the outside shower in order to push all the air out of the lines. When I close the faucets, the water pressure dial goes nuts. When It climbs above 50psi, I open the other side of the "Y" to relieve the pressure before it bursts my pipes in the rig. I've turned the dang screw on the regulator and it doesn't seem to have any bearing on the pressure. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance gang!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
How far over 50psi does it go? Up to 55psi will not hurt anything. Some even say 60psi is ok, I would stick with 55psi.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #3

THOR #8259
I open the other side of the Y valve at 60psi
Old 09-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What can you do if the pressure is just too high?
Could you use a ninety degree sewer connector with a hose attachment, and bleed it off into the sewer?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Turn the valve at the source down to allow less pressure until you can get another regulator. Yours sounds defective. Mine will allow the pressure to be lowered or raised with the screw adjustment.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
Turn the valve at the source down to allow less pressure until you can get another regulator. Yours sounds defective. Mine will allow the pressure to be lowered or raised with the screw adjustment.
Turning the valve down at the spigot does not reduce pressure, it only reduces flow. When there is no flow, pressure will equalize everywhere the water can get to.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Yes, the adjustment screw should allow you to adjust the psi. Does sound like your regulator is not working correctly. You might try working that adjustment with no water, just to see if something internal can be freed up or???? You don't want over 60psi feeding your RV plumbing, sure receipt for disaster.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #8

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
I've had the cheap regulators fail to let water through so the regulator you have could simply be defective like others have suggested.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
You don't have your water pump running? That's the only thing I could think of besides the regulator being defective. I set mine at 55 psi & has worked flawlessly for 4 years.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:11 AM   #10

THOR #8259
Well, thanks for all of the suggestions. I took it off, shook the s*** out of it, put it back on the spigot...
And it works. I haven't a clue! Just glad it's working now!
Old 09-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #11

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
I carry a spare never needed it in 6 years. you can unhook city water and use pump.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Well, thanks for all of the suggestions. I took it off, shook the s*** out of it, put it back on the spigot...
And it works. I haven't a clue! Just glad it's working now!
Whatever works!!
Glad to hear that you "fixed" it!
Question: are the non-adjustable regulators less prone to having trouble?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
In 20+ years I have never ever, not even once, used a pressure regulator. I have never ever, not even once, had a problem doing it this way. Were you aware that pex piping is rated for 300 lbs pressure? Yea, I know, the fittings are the weak point. Still never had a problem. That's in 6 different rv's.

Bill
Old 09-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The little thing about 3-4" long is not a regulator, but it restricts the flow thereby lowering the pressure & will quit working after using regularly. I'm referring to a "regulator" that can be adjusted & actually "regulates" the pressure. Yes you can do without one as many do, I'm just not much of a gambler, water & fire are the 2 biggest destroyers of rvs, water being #1.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:11 AM   #15

State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Hey gang, I just got set up on our first trip, hooked up the hoses to city water and included is my brand new (and not cheap) water pressure regulator that don't seem to be regulating. Here's the order I have everything in: I have a "Y" splitter at the spicket, two 25' hoses (need every foot of them, but they're not kinked or stretched too tightly), an in-line water filter. I've opened all the faucets inside, as well as the outside shower in order to push all the air out of the lines. When I close the faucets, the water pressure dial goes nuts. When It climbs above 50psi, I open the other side of the "Y" to relieve the pressure before it bursts my pipes in the rig. I've turned the dang screw on the regulator and it doesn't seem to have any bearing on the pressure. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance gang!

I started out using the typical cheap regular at spigot, then inline water filter and a l-shaped quick connect at Vegas inlet. Couldn’t get waterless hot water to work anywhere but bathroom sink. Found out if the pressure is to low tankless won’t work right. I bought an adjustable set it at 60psi so it is 55 when going into Vegas. All works well.
Also found some of the campgrounds have told me they have a reservoir and when it is low their pump comes on and the campground water pressure jumps to 80 psi.