Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Arkansas
THOR #15748
Hidden Black tank valve

We have a 2017 Vegas 25.3 which we just purchased. Today, on our third trip out, we discovered a third valve just behind the tailpipe on the passenger side. We had dumped both the black and gray tanks, but until we emptied that THIRD valve we were experiencing horrible smells! Nothing in the documents mentioned this valve. Had we not accidentally found this, I fear we would have experienced a severe backup issue!

Old 06-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! If you've got a toilet on the passenger's side of the RV: they love to put an extra valve on that side also. I guess that they do it, so the it shuts everything off before it gets to the crossover pipe that leads to the outlet...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I experienced something similar in my
Outlaw 29H. During the PDI the dealer only showed us 2 valves that were next two each other.... one small one for the gray and a larger one for the black tank.

Our first trip out I could see the black tank was not draining when I opened its valve. Upon inspection, I found another valve right next to the black tank where the sewer pipe was connected. Opened that valve and it was like Old Faithful!

I determined the reason that hidden valve was placed there was two fold......

First, the sewer pipe connecting the black tank to the master drain connection was very low on my rig running underneath the drive shaft. It was very likely at some point I would have hit something that would tear off the pipe and create a real mess if that valve did not exist. I have since removed that sewer pipe before that could happen and now have a separate gray tank drain and black tank drain.... one in each side of the rig.

Second, if there wasn’t a valve at the black tank opening, waste would immediately begin settling in the sewer pipe. This could possibly lead to a clog depending on how the sewer plumbing is run. By opening the first valve and then the valve by the black tank, it assures there will be an immediate rush of water pushing debris through the sewer drain pipe and preventing any clogs. It’s also why it’s a good idea not to drain the black tank unless it is at least 2/3 full and leave that valve closed until you are ready to dump.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
A word of caution on that second black tank valve. I learned this the hard and very stinky way. We have one on our Axis 25.5. No one told us about it when we did our delivery walkthru either. Mistakenly, when dumping, I'd open the "hidden" valve, then go to the wet bay to dump first the black, then gray tanks. Pulling that hidden valve put a lot of strain and pressure on our plumbing pipes and I learned, again, the hard way, that Thor doesn't put a lot of cement on those plastic plumbing pipe joints. So, on a trip in GA, I pulled the valve, preparing to dump. That's when the black water pipe separated, just behind the wet bay. What a horrible, stinky, nasty mess! And, of course, our black tank was full. We headed straight home after that and I totally rebuilt our black water system, using high strength cement and wrapping the joints with self-bonding plumbing tape. Now, when dumping, I open the wet bay black valve first, then pull the 'hidden' black valve. That way, the sewage runs straight to the stinky slinky hose and down the dump station drain.
Be careful out there!
Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #5

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Wow, thanks for that. I opened the hidden valve first and the the main valve. Fortunately no problems, but your way makes far more sense.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree!
The consequences can potentially be...

... Funny as Hell!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1561934026
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 30.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	18615  
Old 07-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
I'm surprised Bob didn't post the poop hose scene from the movie "RV". I'm a little disappointed.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Arkansas
THOR #15748
Thank you all for the "poop" on the sewer line! Appreciate you!
Old 07-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach View Post
We have a 2017 Vegas 25.3 which we just purchased. Today, on our third trip out, we discovered a third valve just behind the tailpipe on the passenger side. We had dumped both the black and gray tanks, but until we emptied that THIRD valve we were experiencing horrible smells! Nothing in the documents mentioned this valve. Had we not accidentally found this, I fear we would have experienced a severe backup issue!
You have a gray tank. a galley tank and a black tank. Or 1 black and 2 gray.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:40 AM   #10

THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You have a gray tank. a galley tank and a black tank. Or 1 black and 2 gray.
I wish that were true but, unfortunately, there is only one grey tank on the Vegas/Axis, same as most motor homes. Sure would be handy to have a second one though. The grey fills up too fast. I blame it on the DW using so much water to wash her hair (though it's probably me taking showers every time I break a sweat).
Old 07-05-2019, 03:30 AM   #11

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
I understand the problem with not enough grey water space. That's one plus about our Serrano. We have two grey water tanks. The galley is separate from the shower. Also aids in that the washing machine dumps to the galley tank. That gives us four valves to open to drain all of the tanks since our black tank is also on the passenger side and has a valve at the tank. We also open the main valve on the driver side before opening the passenger side valve so the flow is direct without any excess pressure build-up to line before it enters the slinky.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
I'm surprised Bob didn't post the poop hose scene from the movie "RV". I'm a little disappointed.
Sorry... I was out of Town, and camping up in Finger Lake Country!

But since you asked...

Old 07-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I DID manage to figure out something useful this weekend!
If you have a San-T-Flush system hooked up to your Black-water tank:
After you dump it for the last time: dump about a half-cup of dish-washing soap down the toilet.
Hook up the water supply to your flushing system, and let 'er rip!
let it suds the tank up pretty good,,, the more water: the better.
Dump it again... and again... and again. Keep an eye out for when you've got all of the soap suds out of the tank, and your hose.

The term "Stinky Slinky" will no longer be applicable to you hoses!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #14

THOR #12686
There you go. I feel sooo much better now (tears running down my cheeks). And, good tip on the flush. Hope you guys had a good time in the Tiffin...nice, long weekend. We need the Blackstone Master Griddler stories now.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I did start working on my "griddle-skills". The Missus says that I need practice: but nobody got sick!
Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4305
Hidden Valve

We have a 2018 Vegas 25.6 and. It also has a second black tank valve that was never discussed during pre-delivery. Thor plumbs the bathroom sink on this model to the black tank to balance the volume between the tanks.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #17

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formia1 View Post
We have a 2018 Vegas 25.6 and. It also has a second black tank valve that was never discussed during pre-delivery. Thor plumbs the bathroom sink on this model to the black tank to balance the volume between the tanks.
My Vegas has the Bathroom sink plumbed into the Black tank
Based on this Forum, it seems to be a common way that many RV manufacturer's plumb the lines
Old 07-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #18

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
I wish that were true but, unfortunately, there is only one grey tank on the Vegas/Axis, same as most motor homes. Sure would be handy to have a second one though. The grey fills up too fast. I blame it on the DW using so much water to wash her hair (though it's probably me taking showers every time I break a sweat).
DW makes me take my showers outside after I've been doin' man's work and my body's filthy.
So i keep my swim suit on and go to town out in the elements

The camping neighbors give me a look, but their DW probably agrees with the concept.

When anybody asks...I tell them that my loving mate won't let me inside until I'm clean.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #19

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sorry... I was out of Town, and camping up in Finger Lake Country!

But since you asked...

Made my day, haven't laughed that hard in ages! TY
Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #20

State: Tennessee
THOR #15912
Hidden black tank valve

Wait...I have a 2018 Axis 25.5 and have never seen a second black tank valve (only the one in the wet bay). I have also never encountered problems with emptying my tanks. Is there some extra black tank valve I should be releasing? I only have one toilet in my unit and it is on the black tank side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
A word of caution on that second black tank valve. I learned this the hard and very stinky way. We have one on our Axis 25.5. No one told us about it when we did our delivery walkthru either. Mistakenly, when dumping, I'd open the "hidden" valve, then go to the wet bay to dump first the black, then gray tanks. Pulling that hidden valve put a lot of strain and pressure on our plumbing pipes and I learned, again, the hard way, that Thor doesn't put a lot of cement on those plastic plumbing pipe joints. So, on a trip in GA, I pulled the valve, preparing to dump. That's when the black water pipe separated, just behind the wet bay. What a horrible, stinky, nasty mess! And, of course, our black tank was full. We headed straight home after that and I totally rebuilt our black water system, using high strength cement and wrapping the joints with self-bonding plumbing tape. Now, when dumping, I open the wet bay black valve first, then pull the 'hidden' black valve. That way, the sewage runs straight to the stinky slinky hose and down the dump station drain.
Be careful out there!