Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
We use KOA Mail when we are going to be gone for an extended time & moving from place to place. I have our mail forwarded to them, they scan the envelope, and I view it online. If it is something I feel I need to see the contents, they will open and scan so I can view online. They will hold all mail then package it which u can pick up or have delivered to u when u get home. We have been satisfied with their service & I know there are other similar services.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #22

Model: Miramar
State: Ohio
THOR #6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
We are planning to be on the road for about 50 days after the cold calms down and not sure of what to do with the mail. Our mail service will only hold the mail for 30 days.
We use the Good Sam mail service.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #23

Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
Like someone above, I have a PO Box at UPS in South Dakota. The cool thing is, unlike many mail services that charge monthly fees, etc., UPS is only charging for the priority mail envelope price and $2 for handling anytime I call and ask for it. They'll even go through and tell me on the phone what's in there and throw out what I ask them to. It can be weekly or once every 3 months, etc. True, I have an annual box, not sure if they do short term. Also, like others, I pay everything I can online and do all my banking online. Less is more in terms of snail mail if an RV'er. :-).
Old 02-03-2019, 12:57 AM   #24

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dPad2 View Post
Like someone above, I have a PO Box at UPS in South Dakota. The cool thing is, unlike many mail services that charge monthly fees, etc., UPS is only charging for the priority mail envelope price and $2 for handling anytime I call and ask for it. They'll even go through and tell me on the phone what's in there and throw out what I ask them to. It can be weekly or once every 3 months, etc. True, I have an annual box, not sure if they do short term. Also, like others, I pay everything I can online and do all my banking online. Less is more in terms of snail mail if an RV'er. :-).
But you can not be licienced and title and tagged to a PO Box.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:28 AM   #25

THOR #9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
In my case I am. I have a SD license, title for RV & toad, plus tags for both. All legal as a full time RVer. My 'permanent address' is a street address with the box number at the end. SD is actually very considerate to full time RVer's. I have a SD bank account as well. I've had no problem. In the case of this person asking a question about how to handle mail, I assumed they could get a box at any UPS store in the country and have mail forwarded like I do - without consideration of getting licensed, titled and tagged?
Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 AM   #26

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
UPS does not have PO Boxes, they have a street address with a box numbers.

Several years ago we were thinking of spending a couple years on the road and told that a one day visit to South Dakota was all that was required for a drivers license and vehicle registration. Main reason for registering there were the low registration and insurance costs. We never went on the road, didn't want to give up the horses and they wouldn't fit in an rv.

Someone is sure to correct me if I am wrong about this, and please do.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:58 AM   #27

THOR #9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
UPS does not have PO Boxes, they have a street address with a box numbers.

Several years ago we were thinking of spending a couple years on the road and told that a one day visit to South Dakota was all that was required for a drivers license and vehicle registration. Main reason for registering there were the low registration and insurance costs. We never went on the road, didn't want to give up the horses and they wouldn't fit in an rv.

Someone is sure to correct me if I am wrong about this, and please do.
Thanks, I believe all of the misunderstanding was my 'fault' in calling it a PO Box to begin with. Sorry rynosback! It does LOOK like a PO Box haha. Yet it is a PMO or something like that and allows for a 'permanent address' without owning a building. There ARE restrictions (ie you can't pay for tags etc with out of state checks) but for mail forwarding it's just fine. Thanks for your post.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #28

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #13351
virtual mailbox works well

We've been traveling since Dec 2017, internationally until September 2018 and in a Class C 24FE since late October 2018. We use St. Brendan's Isle. Some paper work needed to set up as they need to be USPS agents for you. Then for about $20/month they receive your mail, throw out any junk, scan the front and post to you each day mail is received. For 50c plus 10c per page they will scan the contents if you indicate such. They will shred the piece on your command and once scanned it can, another choice for you, archive it for as long as you have an account for no charge.

If you wish any item, such as that rare moment you may need new checks!, they will forward to you, at cost, via USPS and UPS slow to overnight mail to wherever you are.

It's been great for us. All accounts are paid online but some things still come in the mail. You can get you w-2s and other tax docs that are mailed scanned/shredded or forwarded on.

I like that I no longer have to keep paper and it saves me the effort of scanning everything. With the scanning and occasional forwarding our bill comes to about $30/month.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/
Old 02-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #29

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Use a mail forwarding service. Notify the Post Office to hold your mail. Have family or friend pick up and send you legitimate mail and leave the ad junk at your home.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #30

State: Illinois
THOR #621
We have our mail forwarded to our daughter, she then emails our bills. She will also mail us anything important. It works out great.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you want: we'll all figure out the best days for us to house-sit...
... and will bundle the mail up weekly, and forward it to you.
(What's your internet password?)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #32

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yes good idea. On my days please make sure the fridge is stocked, plenty of cold beer and the number for the local Pizza delivery is written down. Also please be sure you subscribed to all the pay cable channels.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #33

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Just can't trust those New York folks. House sitting that is, I'm still looking for my Pass Word!!
Great Wife
Life is Good!
skiptut is offline   Reply With Quote