Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
How do you handle your mail?

We are planning to be on the road for about 50 days after the cold calms down and not sure of what to do with the mail. Our mail service will only hold the mail for 30 days.

Great Wife
Life is Good!
skiptut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Your question (While being a great one!): reminds me of a song...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #3

THOR #12172
Hi Bob, are you saying to just burn it all?!? LOL
Great Wife
Life is Good!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:40 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
When I look at the pile of bills that find me each Month...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1548114003

Sorry: I know that none of this helps with your problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HELL-YEAH 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	15247  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:47 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
All of my bills are either on auto pay, or electronic fund transfer. I don’t receive many paper bills, so Mail isn’t a problem
Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
No song, but we have had some experience with holding mail.

Even 30 days is a long time to have your mail held. We won't have the mail held for more than a week at a time. If you get a jury notice, you'll be in contempt for not answering the call to serve. You wouldn't want a letter demanding a tax audit to wait a month either, or a letter telling you a rich relative just left you an estate.

Most of our recurring bills are set up for auto pay, or we use online banking. When we have been on longer trips, we have a friend pick up our mail every day or two. They flip all the junk mail into a box, and if something that looks important shows up, they call us. We either have them open it or have them drop it into a priority mail envelop and send it to our next known destination.

Magazines go into a separate box, or one of those giant bags from the RV show. The same person, always a neighbor in our case, goes inside our house every week to do a quick check. We also shut off the main water line, to eliminate the risk of having a broken line flood the house.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
As Mr Sunshine said, we have a friend, neighbor, or other relative get our mail.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Aside from burning it all...

My sis snowbirds between AZ and IL and has a PO box at her local UPS Store in IL. They gather her mail and then box and ship it to her in AZ at pre-determined intervals. This is an option if you don't wish to rely on friends or family. Sis's set up took some time, of course....and is a permenant thing, but she can up and leave at the drop of a hat... Or snowflake.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
You can also receive a daily email from the post office that shows the mail you will recieve for that day. Easy way to view and watch for important items. I get the email every day, at home or away.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
We are planning to be on the road for about 50 days after the cold calms down and not sure of what to do with the mail. Our mail service will only hold the mail for 30 days.
Time to switch mailing services then. I only order my mail 3-4 times a year. Who is your mail service? Do you mean your local post office? All my bill are electronic so the only mail I need to get is for our w2’s.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #11

THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Time to switch mailing services then. I only order my mail 3-4 times a year. Who is your mail service? Do you mean your local post office? All my bill are electronic so the only mail I need to get is for our w2’s.
Yes, I meant to say my local post office will only hold mail for 30 days. I guess I'll have to make some friends on our street to do the pick up!!!
Great Wife
Life is Good!
Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 AM   #12

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Yes, I meant to say my local post office will only hold mail for 30 days. I guess I'll have to make some friends on our street to do the pick up!!!
Or, a friend or family member to swing by every 2-3 days. We just set ours up for a 30 hold, then deliver it and have our neighbor put it in our garage. He will also do a walk around perimeter check of the place.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:56 AM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Then yes, you should make some fiends in your neighborhood. This way they can get your mail why you are gone and you can do something for them or compensate them. Most neighbors want to be neighborly.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:19 AM   #14

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
My sis snowbirds between AZ and IL and has a PO box at her local UPS Store in IL. They gather her mail and then box and ship it to her in AZ at pre-determined intervals. This is an option if you don't wish to rely on friends or family. Sis's set up took some time, of course....and is a permenant thing, but she can up and leave at the drop of a hat... Or snowflake.

We have two houses that we alternate between and we do something similar. We pay some one to come in once a week, look over the house, and deal with the mail. Almost all of the mail comes to the Atlanta house and we leave postage paid express mail envelopes for the house sitter. Once a week, she puts the non-junk mail into the express mail envelope and drops it in the mailbox.

The Utah house sitter does this too. But I think we’ve gotten one piece of mail out there in the 4 years we’ve been doing this.

I also use the post office’s Informed Delivery service to see what’s coming in the mail. If something important comes, we can either have it open it and send us a picture or send it out that day.

It has really worked out well for us. It’s about $21-25/week.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:53 AM   #15

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
All bills and statements, and banking are handled online, most of our mail is junk mail.

Get a daily email of all mail arriving, with photos, and also text notifications from UPS, FEDEX and USPS, when a package will be delivered (date), and also text messages when they are delivered.

Have a large secure keyed, baseball bat proof mailbox bolted to a cutdown telephone pole at street, can hold over 2 weeks mail.

Have a family member or friend pick up mail every 2 weeks, sooner if there are packages, usually we don't order items to be shipped when not home, so normally there are no packages.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I have a friend (amazing, huh?) that is starting a mail forward service for extended travelers in business or pleasure. You forward your mail to her PO Box, she will spread your mail out, email you a picture of everything received, everyday with each piece numbered. She then opens bills and scans to your email or emails you a copy daily. You respond back to her as what you want her to throw away by piece number. Everything is then dated and filed for pick up by you or forwarded later in bulk as you instruct. She is charging $85 per month for the basic service. Licensed and Bonded. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #17

THOR #4735
the easiest thing for your travel time, if you don't really get a lot of mail each day at your home's mailbox at the street, is to just let it continue to be delivered each day for 20 days, THEN go online and ask for a 'Hold' - that way you'll be back by the time the end arrives...
Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the easiest thing for your travel time, if you don't really get a lot of mail each day at your home's mailbox at the street, is to just let it continue to be delivered each day for 20 days, THEN go online and ask for a 'Hold' - that way you'll be back by the time the end arrives...

With the USPS going under so fast (taxpayers subsidize them at $80M per year), they allow anybody to bulk mail anything for nearly nothing. I would need a mailbox the size of a refrigerator box to handle 20 days of mail at one time. Plus, the scum that rides around looking for full mailboxes, then coming back at 3AM to steal it prevents this as well. It's also a sign..."you are not home". Too dangerous where I live.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Like many on this forum I have ALL my bills either paid by MasterCard or draft on my checking account. All MasterCard bills are prefaced by an e-mail notification a week in advance so I can review the bill(s) on line. I can get a questionnable charge I resolved it before it actually goes on the card.

Other mail goes into a box at my neighbor's home. She grabs the mail every couple days and text or emails me about any item she thinks I need to take care of before I return home.

The cost for this "special" service is a token of my appreication that I pick up while on the road. She loves them - especially is it is something I pick up that she can give her adorable grandkids.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #20

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I had a small mail box screwed into the porch wall by the front door. I removed it and cut a mail slot hole and install a metal mail slot face I bought at Home Depot. Made a small ramp for the mail to slide on were it falls into a milk crate type box I got at Walmart. It will hold plenty of junk mail.

The majority of my mail is junk mail. All my monthly bills get charged to my Costco Visa automatically. Helps get a bigger reward check from Costco when they pay in February.

The Visa, motorhome, and two other small payments are done through Bill Pay through my checking.

I can check everything anytime on my cell or laptop if I bring it. Anything else that gets mailed to me can wait til I get home

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote