Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How Long Does It Take?

... For you to get the rig packed, ready, and pointed out the driveway?
(Once you've got the destination picked out)
The Missus and I started getting ready for our annual Memorial Day weekend trip to Lake George RV park last weekend.
So we take our time, and try to not miss any steps: it's a two-week process for us.
How about the rest of you?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Going over my maintenance checklist, Washing,windows,air tires etc etc.
...I give myself a day and a half. I do really enjoy going over the rig.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You must have worked for a NASCAR pit crew!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You must have worked for a NASCAR pit crew!
Bob, We will wait and see what others say. I will add when we get home from trips, I will usually spend half a day washing cleaning and doing a quick look over before putting back to storage.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Depends on the length of the trip: For just a weekend trip we'll pack either Thursday night or Friday during the day (depending on if someone is working from home on Friday or not).

If its a week long trip then we'll take an extra day--sometimes. Don't like to leave the RV at the house too long (don't want neighbors complaining you know--although the immediate neighbors have told us they don't mind).

Of course we try to leave the RV in "ready to go state" meaning all it needs is clothes and food and we're on the road. Sometimes we'll just load clothes and hit a store along the way for food.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Depends on the length of the trip: For just a weekend trip we'll pack either Thursday night or Friday during the day (depending on if someone is working from home on Friday or not).

If its a week long trip then we'll take an extra day--sometimes. Don't like to leave the RV at the house too long (don't want neighbors complaining you know--although the immediate neighbors have told us they don't mind).

Of course we try to leave the RV in "ready to go state" meaning all it needs is clothes and food and we're on the road. Sometimes we'll just load clothes and hit a store along the way for food.
"Axis King"
Old 05-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. I agree...
Old 05-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

This is what we do also. No dawdling.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:59 AM   #9

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Yep we're always ready to go. But I do check air in the tires and plug in power a few days before we leave. This tops off the batteries and gets the fridge cold. We keep about two weeks worth of clothes in the mh all the time. Only thing we need is to load food.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We also have a basic set of clothes in the RV all the time. Some of these are “older” items that went to the RV instead of to Goodwill although the lot does seem to be improving over time. If we are going “camping” we’re ready to go. If we’re going “glamping” it usually gets some trip specific packing. If it’s summer I’ll usually go over to the storage yard and start the fridge the night before and spend just a couple of hours in the driveway. On the other hand we’ll be starting a 6 week trek next month and I’ve been working hard trying to get mods and upgrades done before we leave. Oil change, wash and wax are on tomorrow’s agenda. I too have neighbors to worry about so I don’t keep my machine at home over night.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:19 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I have a trip prep checklist that starts 7 days out. It's a general guideline, so I don't forget to check something important. Maintenance items for the first few days, then cosmetic items, then packing the day before. I don't care which day things get done, but I do care that all those things are checked off. If there is a problem, I want to know that in time to get it fixed before departure day!

Since we don't keep our coach at the house, we do staging in the garage and guest bedroom for things we want to take. For long trips we lay our clothes out a week ahead.

I have another checklist for things necessary for travel, things like phone chargers, rain gear, spouse, etc! Your results will vary...
Old 05-18-2019, 02:05 AM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
.....cut.....

So we take our time, and try to not miss any steps: it's a two-week process for us.
How about the rest of you?
Getting organized and or preparing for a trip may take a bit of time depending on where and for how long, but the actual act of packing doesn’t take us more than a few hours. Spending days is out of the question because we got accustomed to packing rental motorhomes or trailers, where the cost for extra time is significant. Besides, the HOA doesn’t like any rig at home for very long.

With our present van it takes very little time. It serves as a second vehicle, so it’s always ready to go mechanically. Also no need for extra cleaning, etc. We only add a bit of food and clothes and drive off. Everything else we need is already there. And since there isn’t much space, there isn’t much we can bring along anyway. For short trips the packing process takes about an hour or less, longer trips maybe up to 2 hours.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:58 AM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We are lucky and get to park our coach at our house. So we are basically ready to go once we get home from a trip. If there is some laundry it’s brought into the house done and put back in. All we really have to do is load some food kids clothes and toys, check the oil, tires etc and go. We can be really to go in about 2 hours if we really needed to.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:08 AM   #14

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We also have a basic set of clothes in the RV all the time. Some of these are “older” items that went to the RV instead of to Goodwill although the lot does seem to be improving over time. If we are going “camping” we’re ready to go. If we’re going “glamping” it usually gets some trip specific packing. If it’s summer I’ll usually go over to the storage yard and start the fridge the night before and spend just a couple of hours in the driveway. On the other hand we’ll be starting a 6 week trek next month and I’ve been working hard trying to get mods and upgrades done before we leave. Oil change, wash and wax are on tomorrow’s agenda. I too have neighbors to worry about so I don’t keep my machine at home over night.
Pete
Where you going on your 6 week trip??

We are heading out on a 5 week trip soon also

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:00 AM   #15

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Well it used to be that it would take a few hours to pack and load up. That was when i was still working and we were taking those 3 day weekends. Now that i have retired, the excitement gets to me and i start checking things over a week in advance. Ex.; I started prepping least week for a 4 day trip that we are planning for this coming Monday! This time when we get back, we only be home for a week before we leave again for another week. I'll probably start packing again before the DW is finished unpacking!
Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Our coach is at home and always packed; just add clothes and food. Depending on the season and the trip some items and check list are done the evenings before departure, water, check tires, etc.. If it is a quick departure on Friday after work, the coach is fueled and fully packed the night before. Unplug and go at the departure time. We streamline everything to limit prep and enjoy more time away.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I should have mentioned that our RV is kept at home; but we both work, and our time is pretty much limited to weekend prepping.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #18

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
Our coach is at home and always packed; just add clothes and food. Depending on the season and the trip some items and check list are done the evenings before departure, water, check tires, etc.. If it is a quick departure on Friday after work, the coach is fueled and fully packed the night before. Unplug and go at the departure time. We streamline everything to limit prep and enjoy more time away.
That's pretty much our situation also.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #19

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Our class c is stored about a mile way and is always topped off with gas and propane. I visit it every two weeks to make sure everything is in working order. It comes over to the house two days a month for battery charging and tinkering. We keep 2 @ 2-1/2 gallon water containers in it at all times. We also have all of the dry goods, canned goods, and staples in the coach. As far as clothes, we have towels, sheets, blanket and pillows.

We live on the NC coast and hurricanes are always a concern. Our coach is our “bug out” home so we are ready to go on a moments notice. We’ve bugged out three times. My wife gets her stuff and heads out in the car to our daughters in KY. I fill the fresh water tank, empty the house fridge, load the emergency food and survival goods, pack a few clothes, and grab the cat and my CPAP. I head inland and hover for a day or two - if it is really bad I make my way to KY where we have a full hookup at the daughters home.

For regular trips it takes us 2 days to prep and that time is due to the fridge cooling down for food.

We leave home with the attitude that if we “forgot it” there is a WalMart somewhere on our route.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Pete
Where you going on your 6 week trip??

We are heading out on a 5 week trip soon also

Jerry

Leaving our home in Indiana and going up through Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Northern California then home through Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas and Missouri. It’ll be our longest trip yet. SO looking forward to it. Just me, DW and our little Papillon. Where are you headed?