Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
How many miles a day do you drive?

Well, in August we are taking our first long haul trip, Tx to Fl and back. I know it depends on many factors....but on "Travel Days" where you are just getting from point A to B...what are your comfort limits? I've only driven my Hurricane about 2 hours in one stretch, but now with the front end alignment, CHF, and SafeTplus up and running....I really don't think I would be uncomfortable driving all day...especially on freeways. So I am interested to here your long haul experiences from you all!!!
TOm

Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Like you said there are many factors that come into play.

One thing that I found is that regardless of the length of the trip my normal travel speed (to include breaks, fueling etc...) is approx. 47 MPH when I have the cruise control set on 60.

Myself and my wife determined that based on that our maximum travel distance per day is approximately 350 miles and we plan our trips accordingly. Depending on the time of year and direction of travel (East to West or vice versa) we may lengthen or shorten the travel day.

Bottom line for use is that we want to arrive at our over night destination before sundown. I do not like taking a large RV into unknown areas at after dark.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Great question. We went to Arizona in Feb. and tried to drive it like a car and found out 10 to 12 hours is nuts. Checking into RV sights late was a pain. I learned my lesson on the way back slow and 6 to 8 is plenty and I only have a 25 footer.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
This year for spring break I started driving at 0600 from Clinton, Tennessee and arrived at Naples Florida at 2200! My legs were very cramped and only stopped for gas and the other reason. Surprised I did not get a DVT!

This Friday night I will leave Ohio at 1600 and stop halfway to Hilton Head in Wytheville, VA right on the interstate - that will be most likely around 10 pm. The KOA there is so nice for sleeping - close to the interstate and the sites are so easy to drive in/out in the dark. Strongly recommend!

I find it very comfortable to drive once you have the seat adjusted correctly. The girls keep themselves occupied while my wife cross stitches and knits - while I wonder what will break during this particular trip.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We try to limit our driving to 6-10 hours depending on the trip. Back in December we did 10 hour days going back and forth from the Detroit area to Marco Island, FL.

Later this summer we're splitting up an 8 hour drive to two 4 hour segments on two trips (although in both cases I think the return trip will be all 8 hours in one day).

Makes a big difference if you have to punch a clock on Monday or not.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
This year for spring break I started driving at 0600 from Clinton, Tennessee and arrived at Naples Florida at 2200! My legs were very cramped and only stopped for gas and the other reason. Surprised I did not get a DVT!

This Friday night I will leave Ohio at 1600 and stop halfway to Hilton Head in Wytheville, VA right on the interstate - that will be most likely around 10 pm. The KOA there is so nice for sleeping - close to the interstate and the sites are so easy to drive in/out in the dark. Strongly recommend!

I find it very comfortable to drive once you have the seat adjusted correctly. The girls keep themselves occupied while my wife cross stitches and knits - while I wonder what will break during this particular trip.
I've stayed at the KOA in Wytheville numerous times and agree it is a nice place. My GPS on my class C's Magnadyne did try taking me down the dirt trail in the corn field. Luckily I had already read the KOA's warning message about GPS units.

The Pilot Flying J there is also an easy place for fueling.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I have driven 500 miles in one sitting but like to keep it in the 300 to 350 range
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
Ok, I guess 300-400 miles per day is reasonable. I also prefer to drive during the day, and get to the park with plenty of daylight left. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We seem to average about 50 miles each hour, counting fuel ,food and walkaround stops. So, 300-350 is comfortable for us. If we're near a city, we try to pass on thru, so we don't have to fight morning traffic.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
300miles or so is about all I have in me. But being retired, I have no rush to get from point A to point B, and would rather spend a bit of time sight-seeing. Afterall, that is a big reason we have a moho.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:12 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
Well, in August we are taking our first long haul trip, Tx to Fl and back. I know it depends on many factors....but on "Travel Days" where you are just getting from point A to B...what are your comfort limits?
....cut....
So I am interested to here your long haul experiences from you all!!!
TOm
Tom, I've driven from Texas to South Florida and back at least 50 times during the years to visit family, and can say that the smaller the vehicle, the longer the distances I've covered.

Without planned stops (point A to B driving) in a small Class C we typically covered around 600 miles the first day, stopping around Tallahassee. With our van I usually drive on to Gainesville, which is a little over 800 miles, but I'm tired at end.

In cars and minivans I've driven the 1130 miles straight a few times (when I was younger), but wouldn't attempt it now.

On the first day of a recent long sightseeing trip out west in a rented 30-ft Class C, I drove 600 miles the first day to Palo Duro Canyon outside of Amarillo. That's about all I'd want to drive in an RV that large. Or any size RV for that matter. For the entire 3-week trip we averaged around 250 miles per day. Short days or rest days were certainly more enjoyable.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Drove a little over 400 miles from Myrtle Beach home last Friday in about 10 hours with numerous stops about every hundred miles. That's probably about as far as I would care to drive in a day.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:25 AM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSSA
State: Nevada
THOR #1937
Anywhere between 4 and 15 hours!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:24 AM   #14

Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
Thanks to all for the info. Being that we are new to motorhome travel, this is great information. This type of travel is supposed to be fun and relaxing. We too have made those 1200 plus trip straight through and now want to stop and see all the best things we passed every trip previously. I'm thinking that the average that most listed of 300 - 400 per day will be our goal to start. Might adjust up or down depending.
Thanks again.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #15

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #2017
350 miles today and fought wind most of way. Exhausting.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:14 AM   #16

State: Maryland
THOR #2083
800 miles is about the max, although I have done more. Try to travel daylight hours only as much as possible.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
My longest day so far in the MH was around 500 miles

I've done a lot more towing, but don't care to now.
I think that 300 number sounds like a good goal..... maybe push towards 400 if I'm trying to get some place
Old 07-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We have not yet done a long trip in our MH but a friend told me they limit their drive to 300 miles or 3:00 pm whichever comes first. Seemed like a good rule of thumb since it takes into account both the distance and the fact that they want to find a place to stay for the night before it gets dark.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #19

Model: A. C. E. 29.3
THOR #1764
For me, it is more a time thing than a miles thing. I tend to take a lot of old US highways rather than interstates. For a two or three day "just want to get there" 9 hours is about the max. We will be going from the Houston, TX area to New Jersey in a couple of weeks, and to make it a vacation rather than "get there as fast as we can" the first couple of days are long [9-10hrs], to get out of the heat. Then I tone it back, take back roads and get up late and arrive early [5-6hrs] so it is more vacationy [spell check says that's not a word, but I'm going with it.]

But either way I stop every two hours max for a walkaround. I find this very important.

Have fun.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #20

THOR #1249
Back when we were working and gas was around $1 gal. we drove 400-500 miles a day or more at 70 mph. Today we drive around 200-350 miles a day. Usually drive around 58-60 mph at a little under 2k rpm's seems to get the best mileage. Retired now, so not in any hurry and I definitely don't like to arrive at a campground after dark. When going across country, I try to plan days and nights with some flex time.