Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
They call it a "punch-list"; because that's what you want to do to the salesgoober, after you figure out exactly what you were sold...
As a retired construction job runner I have Different take on the punch list. It’s called that because that’s what you want to do to the Project Manager of the building you just worked on when your the last contractor on the site and they are holding up your money while they make you clean up the site after all the other crafts. It’s also called the BS list.....

Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 11-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Same idea: but the Bullseye just gets hung on a different target...
Old 11-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #43

Model: 24FE
State: Michigan
THOR #17140
Unhappy interesting

Well, I wish I had joined this board before shopping. We probably wouldn't have chosen Thor at all, and would have asked for a demonstration before driving off. I don't think they tested anything. At least, I didn't see them test anything. no water in the fresh tank ( leaked as soon as I filled it @ home ), no hotwater instructions, nothing. I take it there is supposed to be a demonstration and inspection ? That didn't happen. This just gets more frustrating by the day ! LSG
Old 11-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that they didn't treat you properly.
But... You now have a chance to get things straightened-out!
The rig is still under warranty, so get your list of problems (with documentation) complete, and make sure that they get multiple copies of it.
(One for the Dealership owner, one for the Service Manager, and a final one for the Sales Manager). Just for fun: contact Thor's customer service folks, and send one to them as well. Make sure that your rig's V.I.N. is on it, and do NOT let the dealer off the hook!
Old 11-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #45

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateSixtiesGuy View Post
Well, I wish I had joined this board before shopping. We probably wouldn't have chosen Thor at all, and would have asked for a demonstration before driving off. I don't think they tested anything. At least, I didn't see them test anything. no water in the fresh tank ( leaked as soon as I filled it @ home ), no hotwater instructions, nothing. I take it there is supposed to be a demonstration and inspection ? That didn't happen. This just gets more frustrating by the day ! LSG

I don’t know that a PDI is necessarily “supposed” to happen and I’m sure many/most dealers would be happy to skip it inasmuch as they then have to fix things (which you’d think they’d WANT to do in the name of customer satisfaction). But most RV buyers have learned to insist on it before purchase. I’ll bet if you ever buy another RV you will too!
Old 11-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One more point: It might be easier for you to take the rig to Thor's Wakarusa facility, and arrange for them to make the repairs.
Their reputation is pretty darn great!
Old 11-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #47

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Exactly what Bob said!

You are in Michigan.... unless you are in the UP it should be an easy drive for you.

I have my coach there getting a few things fixed and plan to pick it up next Wednesday. The customer service, quality of work and experience is worth the 12-hour round trip drive as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #48
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I don’t know that a PDI is necessarily “supposed” to happen and I’m sure many/most dealers would be happy to skip it inasmuch as they then have to fix things (which you’d think they’d WANT to do in the name of customer satisfaction). But most RV buyers have learned to insist on it before purchase. I’ll bet if you ever buy another RV you will too!
Sure it is supposed to happen: it's been an RV industry standard for decades. It's not necessarily a chance to test and look for problems as much as it is supposed to be training for the new owners on the various systems and their operation.

Unfortunately, some dealers completely skip the receipt inspection on new units delivered from the factory knowing they'll probably find/fix issues during the customer's PDI so they saved themselves the time of checking/inspecting everything beforehand. Unfortunately, it seems the OP's dealer did neither and now he is suffering the consequences.

A good dealer does a receipt inspection to find/fix issues from the factory.
Then does a thorough PDI with the purchasing customer on delivery.
Then allows the customer to "camp" in their new RV with full hookups on-site to practice what they learned during the PDI and get any new questions or issues resolved before they take the RV home.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 11-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #49
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A thorough PDI is worth it's weight in Platinum...
Ours took four and a half hours.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #50

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
BINGO !
There is NO, None, O Accountability for Quality Control with all Manufacturers.
Motorhomes, RVs in general are seen as Luxury items, and therefore Garner little sympathy from lawmakers for protection from sub par construction practices.
Look into joining www.thervadvisor.com
for starting a Advocacy for RV Consumers at the State, and Federal levels.
Also if you have Safety Issues submit a report to the Highway Traffic Safety Administration at www.safercar.gov
So an Official Record is made, and registered, a record that can't be Forgotten, Lost, or Dismissed by the Manufacturer, or Dealership.
Also if it's a widespread problem, they can, and will issue a Recall.
That being said give the Dealership, and Manufacturers a chance to do the right thing. Report it to the NHTSA regardless, as the Manufacturers may not even be aware of a widespread issue, until Being issued a Recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Every time one of these threads comes around, and they do far more often than they should, we hear about how great the people at Thor are to work with.

And each time I have to wonder why these great people always have time to fix the problems but never the time to have done the job right in the first place.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #51

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
What Dealership are you talking about, so we know to steer clear !
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Have it all and it's on a new unit, so no other owners/accidents. They claim it's because a recall needed done prior to warranty activation, but said recall inspection was required before delivery and deemed good to go at that time. Getting the runaround for some reason, which sucks because I'm ready for an upgrade and hoped to work with them
Old 11-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #52

Model: 24FE
State: Michigan
THOR #17140
Unhappy Thor 24FE

All, got a call from the service mgr ( ?) this am. Said his guy tested the stabilzers and they go up & down fine. Explained, for the 4th time, that the left stabilzer doesn't hold with the slide out....did you check with the slide out ? No, they didn't. He also said the 'closed some gaps' and 'replaced some seals'. Don't know yet of water heater, window leaks, fresh water tank leak, radio or transmission. Told them please find out whats going on and call me back. That was about 9 am, its after 5 here now,....so I guess it'll be monday. I DID ask them not to call me on Shabbat.
Reguarding inspections, if they want to stick me with this, I'm retired now, and Mrs & I have all day, everyday. I'm checking absolutely everything I can think of before driving off. I have repeated my return & refund request to dealer GM, dealer finance guy, dealer service mgr and techs, and to 'Marcus' Office' @ Camping world HQ, and to Thor. We'll see. There is aplace up the road that sells Isata, same Mercedes nose, same size & layout. Looks nicer in pictures. Is Isata build quality any better ? LSG
Old 11-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"There is a place up the road that sells Isata, same Mercedes nose, same size & layout. Looks nicer in pictures. Is Isata build quality any better ?"
That: my good friend... is the $64,000 question!!
Old 11-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #54
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
"There is a place up the road that sells Isata, same Mercedes nose, same size & layout. Looks nicer in pictures. Is Isata build quality any better ?"
That: my good friend... is the $64,000 question!!
Isata is Dynamax which is Forest River. Quality on mine was below the Challenger and FR support was non-existent at that time.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #55

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
LSG, I am sorry to hear of your woes. Gosh I love this site. It has saved me twice from being in your boat (pun was intended )

I am still working on my 1st purchase. I have had dealers refer to me as an RV expert when I have never owned one , I do read this site and live in Holiday Express waiting on my RV

My advice is to "Keep Calm and RV on" Play it all the way out with the dealer as far as they will go. Document everything. Take what issues remains if any to Thor directly. Let them take care of the balance and enjoy your coach. If you want something new, buy it; but expect to take a lost. The moment it was titled in your name the value dropped at least $5,000 or more if you overpaid for it.

Regardless to what you do, I think what we newbies read on this site is invaluable. I was at my boat's dealership this summer just kind of looking around and the service guys saw me, and asked how the boat was doing? I bought it new 2 years ago. I told them about a wet locker door bracket that had broke but other than that it was fine. They said bring in and we will fix it. I go home get the boat drop it off; and go back to watching football and 3 hours later they call back to come pick it up. I don't know if it was warranty or not but it was no charge. RV Dealers are NOT like that!!! When I buy my RV, I will expect issues. I am making that part of my budgeting; which is in part why I have been slow to buy. Whatever I buy, I will absolutely NOT overpay for it. That is only way I know to minimize my risk if I do need to sell it.

Good luck and hope to read your posts in future about how you and misses came out ahead.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-16-2019, 12:24 AM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Great advice!
Are you still actively looking for an RV?
If you are: I hope that you find the perfect one for you and yours!
Old 11-16-2019, 12:52 AM   #57

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Latesixties,

Any RV on anyones lot can be better than what you have or worse. Its a crap shoot. Its all about Customer Service. If I were in your shoes I would make an appointment as suggested at the plant, have them repair the issues. I would than decide on selling or trading or keeping. An RV in good shape is worth a lot more than one that has obvious issues. Give Thor a chance. If you get in a hurry to replace this thing I'm afraid you may jump right back into a mess. I would consider it an advantage to not have a loan. Its really costing you nothing while you wait for a resolution.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #58

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
One more thought

You may want to call a mobile RV service, or have a friend with RV experience go over the thing with you. Let them do a little training. May not be as bad as it appears. This of course is after you make the appointment at the factory.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #59

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Great advice!
Are you still actively looking for an RV?
If you are: I hope that you find the perfect one for you and yours!
Yes, it looks like we will be going with SOB. Bummer we now are clear on the exact what we want, we are now going to float to get at the price we want.

Incidentally we just gave a Thor brand one last attempt as we saw a brand new 29M with a really great price. Kind of too good to be true, but when I talked with Thor Rep yesterday they said the ladder is 14" off the back of back wall which would make the end to end length be 31' 10". Dealer says they get 30' 11" end to end with ladder. I really don't know who to trust because everytime I ask Thor I get a different answer. The Thor answer makes it impossible to consider the 29M, but the dealer's answer leaves open the possibility of me doing some mods, but the dealer is 1000 miles away and I don't have access to a 29M locally to go measure on myself.

Given my struggles with this issue with Thor; I can only imagine the pain of OP with Thor & the Dealer. As much as I am trying to buy a Thor, they just keep pushing me to SOB.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Whatever you end up buying: you'll always be family to us!
Happy hunting!
Closed Thread